Mysterious sound driving people crazy

SuperstarNeilC

Where I live, in the Preston/Blackpool area we’re had strange noises and rumblings for years. - BAE Systems say it’s their EuroFighter Typhoons, but EuroFighters don’t rumble for hours on end in the middle of the night.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/people/experts-confirm-cause-of-mystery-tremor-and-boom-that-shook-buildings-today-3569208

Some say its caused by fracking in the area, but no one is sure.

• Like 1

I've heard of the 'famous Bristol hum', so I did a quick search and quickly came to a YT clip, interestingly captured during lockdown. I'll share two of the comments; 

The Bristol Hum, captured during coronavirus lockdown
14,829 views · 3 years ago BRISTOL

B-Sound - 3 years ago
Good capture! I just recorded few days ago a hum in Valencia, Spain and I was thinking of the famous Bristol Hum. I have never heard it but it's very interesting hearing it now with all those harmonics. Mine was on 50 Hz band and it was like a rumble.

Jeff Powell - 1 year ago
I used to live in Downend, Bristol, and one day I heard a strange continuous sound, like a horn. I thought at first it was coming from the central heating pipe sticking out of the outside wall, but realised it was not that.  Other people in the area could also hear the sound. I drove around to try to find where it was coming from, but couldn't find the source, it was everywhere?! A friend later told me of the The Famous Bristol Hum, that was heard back in the 1960s. The strange sound was never explained, and apparently still lives on to this day!

Edited by Observations

Feel compelled to share this intriguing comment on the YT clip above;

KozmykJ - 1 year ago
Interesting to stumble upon this once again. I recorded some of 'The Hum' back in 2011/2012 as heard from a location in Swansea, close to the shore approx 500m, elev 150m.

In the still of the night it would regularly be audible, sounding like a distant diesel railway train.

I did a quick spectrum analysis and there were prominant peaks at 71Hz and 79Hz. On another occasion there was a prominant 108Hz peak. Then I set a signal generator to produce these two frequencies and lo and behold, it gave an almost identical sounding result.

The actual observed Hum also modulates in amplitude very slowly but the 71Hz+79Hz gives the characteristic distant engine throb from the beat frequency produced between them.

As to the cause/source of this phenomenon ... your guess is as good as mine. HAARP. Oceanic Resonance. Submarine ELF. Atmospheric Resonance. Lunar gravitational waves. ??

Shared from YT comments 

34 minutes ago, Observations said:

Feel compelled to share this intriguing comment on the YT clip above;

KozmykJ - 1 year ago
Interesting to stumble upon this once again. I recorded some of 'The Hum' back in 2011/2012 as heard from a location in Swansea, close to the shore approx 500m, elev 150m.

In the still of the night it would regularly be audible, sounding like a distant diesel railway train.

I did a quick spectrum analysis and there were prominant peaks at 71Hz and 79Hz. On another occasion there was a prominant 108Hz peak. Then I set a signal generator to produce these two frequencies and lo and behold, it gave an almost identical sounding result.

The actual observed Hum also modulates in amplitude very slowly but the 71Hz+79Hz gives the characteristic distant engine throb from the beat frequency produced between them.

As to the cause/source of this phenomenon ... your guess is as good as mine. HAARP. Oceanic Resonance. Submarine ELF. Atmospheric Resonance. Lunar gravitational waves. ??

Shared from YT comments 

OK, so let's not jump to a conclusion that it's a HAARP or Submarine unless you live very close by the ocean etc....

Here is a distance calculator. https://mehlau.net/audio/calculator/

If you input 71Hz, it produces something like 4-5m approximately. This means that the source of the hum originate from your neighbour or something very close.

I've been living with the HUM for the past five years. You can only hear them indoors so it's nothing to do with outside noise or tinnitus becase others can hear it too. It's not generated in the house either so I think it's targetted, V2K. yeah I am a T.I.

Edited by DaleP
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DaleP said:

OK, so let's not jump to a conclusion that it's a HAARP or Submarine unless you live very close by the ocean etc....

Yes, I wonder if it's something that we know nothing about at all, perhaps, or if there is an explanation? I haven't heard a hum, THE hum, yet. 😆 I read through all the YT comments, and the original poster of the sound clip seems like an inquisitive fella, who works in sound, and he generated some good comments from around Bristol, and as far away as Switzerland and Serbia, discussing frequencies and how to capture / record these sounds, that are heard indoors and / or outdoors. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Observations said:

Yes, I wonder if it's something that we know nothing about at all, perhaps, or if there is an explanation? I haven't heard a hum, THE hum, yet. 😆 I read through all the YT comments, and the original poster of the sound clip seems like an inquisitive fella, who works in sound, and he generated some good comments from around Bristol, and as far away as Switzerland and Serbia, discussing frequencies and how to capture / record these sounds, that are heard indoors and / or outdoors. 

Do you have a link of instruction to capture the sound? I know you hit the record button but I just want to know if there is anything extra that he is suggesting.

2 minutes ago, DaleP said:

Do you have a link of instruction to capture the sound? I know you hit the record button but I just want to know if there is anything extra that he is suggesting.

I read something he said; I'll share it in a bit. I found that interesting too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaleP said:

Here is a distance calculator. https://mehlau.net/audio/calculator/

If you input 71Hz, it produces something like 4-5m approximately. This means that the source of the hum originate from your neighbour or something very close

It doesn't mean that at all Dale. That calculator simply calculates the wavelength at a particular frequency, there's no way it can tell you where the sound originates.

Regarding high-pitched sounds though, I have the Spectroid app on my phone and there's always a constant, high-pitched sound that's slightly above 20kHz that it picks up even when I'm sitting here quietly minding my own business.

viber_image_2023-04-27_08-25-21-548.jpg.108d716f7d1e5cabc8781a1c83cb3e67.jpg

Edited by webtrekker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, webtrekker said:

It doesn't mean that at all Dale. That calculator simply calculates the wavelength at a particular frequency, there's no way it can tell you where the sound originates.

Regarding high-pitched sounds though, I have the Spectroid app on my phone and there's always a constant, high-pitched sound that's slightly above 20kHz that it picks up even when I'm sitting here quietly minding my own business.

Apparently you can hypnotize people with sound the brain can hear, but you are not aware you hear at all.

"You are becoming sleepy."

"You are becoming anxious."

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, webtrekker said:

Most of us can't hear above 20KHz so it doesn't matter really, does it?🤨

Edited by DaleP

2 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

There was a segment on The Unexplained with Howard Hughes on Sunday evening on TalkTV and he was discussing residents in Swindon reporting a low frequency hum which I understand is close to Bristol.

Swindon to Bristol is probablly about an hour away, not that close imo. 😆

7 minutes ago, DaleP said:

Most of us can't hyear above 20KHz so it doesn't matter really, does it?🤨

You're right, it doesn't matter as far as hearing goes. I just wonder where this high-frequency hum is coming from though as it's pretty constant and may be affecting other senses or organs.

Dogs, cats and many other animals can hear more than double that frequency so I also wonder if they are constantly bothered by it, as in tinnitus maybe.

Edited by webtrekker

3 minutes ago, webtrekker said:

You're right, it doesn't matter as far as hearing goes. I just wonder where this high-frequency hum is coming from though as it's pretty constant and may be affecting other senses or organs.

Dogs, cats and many other animals can hear more than double that frequency so I also wonder if they are constantly bothered by it, as in tinnitus maybe.

The thing is, high frequency doesn't travel that far hence you'll hear bass sound coming from next door neighbour's speakers but higher sounds does not come through the wall.

Yeah, there is that aspect about animals....they can hear much better. It could be a mosquito, mice or youngster deterrant noise/sonic generator which adults won't hear but they can.

1 hour ago, DaleP said:

Swindon to Bristol is probablly about an hour away, not that close imo. 😆

This is the episode, jump to 55:50 where the discussion on Infrasound begins and they discuss Swindon and the Bristol Hum, Howard Hughes said of the proximity of both places and I do not live in mainland UK so I just quoted what he had stated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

This is the episode, jump to 55:50 where the discussion on Infrasound begins and they discuss Swindon and the Bristol Hum, Howard Hughes said of the proximity of both places and I do not live in mainland UK so I just quoted what he had stated.

😂😂😂

My laughter is nothing to do with you Andy! And oddly, I have noticed that Howard’s 2 hour Sunday night show has been getting slightly more interesting recently.

I listen to it every night when I go to bed because he sends me immediately to sleep! I just about to listen to the entire 2 hour show by the time the following Sunday’s show is being broadcast! 

6 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

There was a segment on The Unexplained with Howard Hughes on Sunday evening on TalkTV and he was discussing residents in Swindon reporting a low frequency hum which I understand is close to Bristol.

Swindon is drenched in Wi-Fi and 5G. It was the first town in Britain to get 100% blanket coverage.

Must be hell there.

• Sad 1

On 4/24/2023 at 10:04 AM, SuperstarNeilC said:

Where I live, in the Preston/Blackpool area we’re had strange noises and rumblings for years. - BAE Systems say it’s their EuroFighter Typhoons, but EuroFighters don’t rumble for hours on end in the middle of the night.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/people/experts-confirm-cause-of-mystery-tremor-and-boom-that-shook-buildings-today-3569208

Some say its caused by fracking in the area, but no one is sure.

Governments know exactly what these sounds are.

But as usual they won't tell.

HEATING the atmosphere at night might cause some noise?   🤠

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

Bah, why did he cut him off? It was just getting interesting!!:classic_rolleyes: