Smart meter

Sinky077

Got this text the other day

your home is ready for smart meter and your upgrade is booked for 20/04/2023

your engineer will arrive between 1.00-500you will receive further details by post or email

we or on prepay meter and  its broke showing no display so wat do reckon i should do he wont be getting in any way 

Edited by Sinky077

7 minutes ago, Sinky077 said:

your engineer will arrive between 1.00-500you will receive further details by post or email

we or on prepay meter and  its broke showing no display so wat do reckon i should do he wont be getting in any way 

what sort of meter? Gas, leccy or water? I had a water meter fitted but didn't actually have a say because it was at the foot of my drive which is off the property. Always ignored gas and electricity although they always left it to me to arrange an appointment so I never bothered

5 hours ago, Sinky077 said:

I would assume any unexpected random texts are scams until proven otherwise, and you don't have to let people like that into your home. I've heard of scams where people use a ruse to get a quick look inside your home to see if there's anything worth pinching, your level of security etc, ready for burglaring at a later time. 

I'm also wondering if there's a way to deactivate the smartness of a smart meter if you can't help having one . An off switch, changing your wifi password etc? Or if all else fails, wrapping it in tinfoil lol! I don't have one, some years ago they were bugging me like crazy because there were govt targets but they have given up with all the phone call etc. I don't think my conventional excuse for not having one still holds water, because at one time they were installing outdated smart meters which stopped working when you switched suppliers. 

• Like 1

i have both smart gas and leccy meters and since i moved in my property i have never felt so ill.

I cancelled my broadband and im being hounded to give the router back? why is the router so important?

Also the utility company can still read my meter even though i dont have wifi.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Morpheus said:

If you look in the terms, you only rent the equipment. So by return they can recycle parts or reissue to someone else and say it's a new unit. 

yes that is what it said on the card posted through my letter box, about recycling.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 3:18 PM, webtrekker said:

Yeah, I've had that text too and had never arranged a bloody appointment. I contacted them and gave them a piece of my mind.

Tell them you want your prepayment meter fixed and NOT replaced with a 'smart' meter.

SMART meters are only for DUMB people!🥴

• Like 2

On 4/13/2023 at 3:02 PM, Not Thoth said:

what sort of meter? Gas, leccy or water? I had a water meter fitted but didn't actually have a say because it was at the foot of my drive which is off the property. Always ignored gas and electricity although they always left it to me to arrange an appointment so I never bothered

I had the same with my water meter🤔, but the gas and electric are still the old ones!👍

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 2:51 PM, Sinky077 said:

On 4/13/2023 at 3:03 PM, Sinky077 said:

Both British gas

As far as I am aware, your supplier cannot just 'upgrade' you to a smart meter unless you have requested it, ie given your consent.

Contact British Gas and tell them you did not consent and you want the appointment cancelled, and tell them that if an engineer does turn up then they will be turned away.

On 4/14/2023 at 10:05 PM, Dizza said:

I cancelled my broadband and im being hounded to give the router back? why is the router so important?

Also the utility company can still read my meter even though i dont have wifi.

The router remains the property of your broadband provider and so they can ask for it back if you end your contract with them.

Depends on your provider really, I know that Virgin Media like to have their equipment back, however I still have my PlusNet Hub router from my old property, they never asked for it to be returned.

Smart meters don't connect to the internet through your wi-fi, they use 4G/5G mobile network.

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2023 at 5:59 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

The router remains the property of your broadband provider and so they can ask for it back if you end your contract with them.

Depends on your provider really, I know that Virgin Media like to have their equipment back, however I still have my PlusNet Hub router from my old property, they never asked for it to be returned.

Same with SKY - though my folks' equipment was so out of date when I cancelled it for them, SKY didn't want it back!