Judaism and old testament

Mr H

So I've been following the others'discussions on Christianity and jesus.

And it seems like this is kind of a Mish mash of other religions.

My question is.

What about Judaism?

And also the old testament.

Are these also just copied and Mish mashed from previous religions? 

Ty

1 hour ago, Mr H said:

So I've been following the others'discussions on Christianity and jesus.

And it seems like this is kind of a Mish mash of other religions.

My question is.

What about Judaism?

And also the old testament.

Are these also just copied and Mish mashed from previous religions? 

Ty

The OT is a mixture. Some stories, like the Flood were likely copied from other sources like the Epic of Gilgamesh. Other parts seem original to the Jews. 

There's also a theory that the Jews started off as Canaanites who split off when they insisted on worshipping only Jehovah. And that their monotheism was influenced by that of Akenaten in Egypt, perhaps when their monotheist priests left Egypt when the polytheists regained control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Campion said:

The OT is a mixture. Some stories, like the Flood were likely copied from other sources like the Epic of Gilgamesh. Other parts seem original to the Jews. 

There's also a theory that the Jews started off as Canaanites who split off when they insisted on worshipping only Jehovah. And that their monotheism was influenced by that of Akenaten in Egypt, perhaps when their monotheist priests left Egypt when the polytheists regained control. 

This is kind of how I understand it. I know its not this simple an answer though. Too much distortion caused by conflicting parties to be the exact truth. So many groups and splinter groups in the Old Testament times.

• Like 1

According to the Anchor Bible series the name for God - Jehova is a corruption of an Egyptian trinity of God's. 

Archaeologists have discovered the Tetragrammaton YHWH, the secret Jewish name for God inscribed on an Egyptian temple long before Judsism used it.

So yes, considering the Jews have used Egyptian names for their God I would say there's a strong possibility that Judaism is just as much a miss mash of earlier religions.

All Abrahamic religions spring from the same poison well.

All Abrahamic religions have been told their religion is the true one, that there will be End Times and either they will inherit God's kingdom, or inherit the Earth or, for the Muslims, will wage holy war against the others because their non believers and corrupt and then inherit the earth.

How can this be?

On a side note worth mentioning, Christianity has been shown to have aspects of Sun worship. The Jewish symbol is the Star of David and the Muslim symbol is the crescent Moon.

That's the Sun, Moon and Stars all represented in Abrahamic religions.

Nature worship - Pagan nature worship.

All 3 Abrahamic religions stem from the same poisonous well, all 3 have roots in Paganism - the very religion they were supposed to conquer.

A quote - 

If Paganism was conquered by Christianity it is equally true that Christianity was corrupted by paganism. The pure Deism of the first Christians (who differed from their fellow Jews only in the belief that Jesus was the promised Messiah) was changed by the Church at Rome, into the incomprehensible dogma of the trinity. Many of the pagan tenets, invented by the Egyptians and idealized by Plato, were retained as being worthy of belief." - The History of Christianity, (Preface by Eckler).

"Christianity did not destroy Paganism; it adopted it .... From Egypt came the ideas of a divine trinity, …. the adoration of the Mother and Child…." – p. 595, The Story of Civilization: vol. 3, Simon & Schuster Inc., by noted author and historian Will Durant.

Link - https://searchforbibletruths.blogspot.com/2011/05/trinity-and-pagan-influence.html?m=1

Edited by pi3141
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

>William F. Albright

>First Gentile to be awarded worthy citizen of Jerusalem

Hmmm...

Lol, yeah trust you.

Here's the blurb, wanna do a character assassination on all of them for me?

Or shall we just label them all Crypto Jews?

Anchor Bible Series

The Anchor Bible Series, which consists of a commentary series, a Bible dictionary, and a reference library,[1] is a scholarly and commercial co-venture which was begun in 1956, with the publication of individual volumes in the commentary series. Over 1,000 scholars—representing Jewish, Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Protestant, Muslim, secular, and other traditions—have contributed to the project.[1] Their works offer discussions that reflect a range of viewpoints across a wide theological spectrum.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_Bible_Series

Oh no its Wiki - can't possibly trusted.

1 minute ago, pi3141 said:

Lol, yeah trust you.

Here's the blurb, wanna do a character assassination on all of them for me?

Or shall we just label them all Crypto Jews?

Anchor Bible Series

The Anchor Bible Series, which consists of a commentary series, a Bible dictionary, and a reference library,[1] is a scholarly and commercial co-venture which was begun in 1956, with the publication of individual volumes in the commentary series. Over 1,000 scholars—representing Jewish, Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Protestant, Muslim, secular, and other traditions—have contributed to the project.[1] Their works offer discussions that reflect a range of viewpoints across a wide theological spectrum.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_Bible_Series

Oh no its Wiki - can't possibly trusted.

I didn't say he was anyone, you clown. It's just an interesting observation considering that greatest ally never usually likes Christians.

37 minutes ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

I didn't say he was anyone, you clown. It's just an interesting observation considering that greatest ally never usually likes Christians.

Your reaching pretty far, trying to make connections to support your world view. 

47 minutes ago, pi3141 said:

Your reaching pretty far, trying to make connections to support your world view. 

I'm not though. Just seems weird.

My bad, and sorry for getting angry at your reply, but you have to understand, and regardless of Israel, it's hard for me to trust much modern interpretation of biblical ideology with all the subversion that is going on in the world in the age that we're living. When I was reading about the Anchor Bible series, I was more concerned about the Yale link, then you implied that I thought he was a Jewish man.

I haven't even read the series, so I can't comment on what I think of it.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld