UK Armageddon Alarm Test

Mikhail Liebestein

30 minutes ago, Saved said:

No options on my five year old phone to switch emergency alerts off (not even mentioned in settings or advanced settings).

3pm came and went - not a sausage. I presume the test failed?

No, Mr Saved - I'm afraid YOU failed. You will no longer be eligible for assimilation into the AI cloud and your DNA will not be stored on our system for its recommended upgrade in 2025.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I went into a shopping centre to witness the alarm go off with the wife.

I kinda expected everyones to go off at the same time but that is not what happened.

Me and the wife are on the same network and ours went off at 14:59, along with a large majority of people.

I would then say that around 15:01 another batch of alarms went off.

Then as we were leaving the spot we were watching from (prob 15:03+, I never looked at the time) there was another batch of alarms.

I would guess that maybe they did it by network?

Next time it goes off we will prob get incinerated.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mikhail Liebestein said:

Well we had guests round for a late lunch, and out of 8 phones in the house at the time, only one went off, but weirdly 20 minutes late.

I think this whole test was a big technical failure!! As only 1 phone worked

and thr beef wss cooked to perfection, not burnt due to the Alert distraction.

Did you all have smartphones though?

And any of you switched it off? 🤔

Anyway, my 2G phone was off. Didn't hear alarms on the street either...

Edited by DaleP

16 minutes ago, DaleP said:

Did you all have smartphones though?

And any of you switched it off? 🤔

Anyway, my 2G phone was off. Didn't hear alarms on the street either...

They were all smart and most were Apple, but might have had older OSes. Mine were blocked, except for a burner phone on a cheap sim - that is a smart phone, but runs Manjaro Linux - obviously a smarter smart phone choice.

Edited by Mikhail Liebestein
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Saved said:

No options on my five year old phone to switch emergency alerts off (not even mentioned in settings or advanced settings).

3pm came and went - not a sausage. I presume the test failed?

I found the options on Android 4 and Android 9, so yours must be  older than 5 years. Either the options work or my phones are too old. I'll never know which.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I cant lie i did feel like a criminal mastermind for a moment wrapping it in foil. But i did get steppwear vibes at the same time.

My brain has truly melted these days that nothing really worries me....people can think what they like....it's their opinion and that. However, I have yet to go out in my birthday suit. lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Fluke said:

I cant lie i did feel like a criminal mastermind for a moment wrapping it in foil. But i did get steppwear vibes at the same time.

God bless Steppewar (RIP) and his videos where he'd show himself blocking out stuff and putting things up at windows - in disguise.

• Like 1

I heard that phones on three network did not go off. 

Radio news said people had complained because they didn't receive the alert. Oh come on?! Up to 10 million missed out for whatever reason; I didn't catch it. 

-----

Fijitsu was responsible for the post office scandal and there have been debates about their involvement with the new alert system. 

https://hansard.parliament.uk/lords/2023-04-19/debates/DD4C1D09-88A7-4B2E-82BC-9FA831822A19/EmergencyAlertSystemFujitsu

Emergency Alert System: Fujitsu
Volume 829: debated in the house of lords on Weds 19th April 2023

The entire text is available to read or download ( isn't that handy )

Baroness Neville-Rolfe (Con)

" I do not accept that the small addition of Fujitsu’s work in this area negates this very important piece of work, which the noble Lord was obviously involved in and agrees with. We need to get on with it. He is right that the US, Canada, the Netherlands and Japan already have such a system. We did have something of a system, as he will know, because we used texts during Covid, but we found that their coverage was not good enough. That is another reason why we have been spurred to move faster. Obviously, I am involved in this area and taking a big interest. I like to get on with things, as he knows. I very much hope that the test will work and that if we have a national crisis of the kind we very much hope not to have, these alerts will be helpful. They will also be useful locally, because the COBRA unit co-ordinating them will find them useful on occasions of local flooding and storms. At the moment, we get alerts but it is more haphazard than it needs to be. "

Daily Mail. Fairly interesting comments from JRM

But speaking on his GB News programme, Mr Rees-Mogg accused ministers of making phones 'screech at us on St George's Day'.

'I'm afraid to say that I've disabled my government warning system because I think it will end up being used in the way the Met Office gives us warning to tell us the blindingly obvious,' the Tory MP said.

'That is to say that the weather's going to be hot and perhaps we should have a glass of water. Or there may be a storm and it may not be wise to go out, or it may be cold and we should wrap up warmly. I don't think that is why we have telephones.

'We have them as a service that we want to use that we pay for to communicate with people, not to be shouted at by the government…

'If there's something that's happened that is serious won't we actually know anyway? ...

'Are we to assume that people are so stupid that they haven't paid any attention to what's been going on?'

Mr Rees-Mogg questioned what circumstances the alert would be end up being useful. 

'It's back to the nanny state… they should just let people get on with their lives and make sensible decisions for themselves,' he said.

Refuge, a domestic violence charity, is so concerned about the potential impact on victims that it has put together a step-by-step guide to disable the alert.

Spokesman Emma Pickering said 'Our concerns are centred on the very real risk to survivors of domestic abuse who may have secret or secondary phones hidden within the home, which they must ensure are not discovered by their perpetrators. 'These devices can be a lifeline for women who need to access support or flee their abuser.'

Lucy Hadley, of Women's Aid, a domestic abuse helpline, said: 'We are working with our members and using our direct services to ensure that survivors who we come into contact with will be informed, and know how to opt out.

'We urge the Government to ensure the safety of survivors is central to the roll-out of this scheme, particularly through raising awareness about how to opt out.'

Similar systems are used for warnings in other countries including the US, Canada and Japan. In 2018 a mistake led to residents of Hawaii receiving an alert saying there was an incoming 'ballistic missile threat' and concluding 'this is not a drill'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11986419/MPs-blast-decision-emergency-alerts-contract-firm-Post-Office-Horizon-scandal.html

Backlash over emergency alerts system continues as MPs blast 'strange' decision to award contract to Japanese IT giant behind the Post Office Horizon scandal

The controversial emergency alerts system will be tested on phones on Sunday

Fujitsu won the £5.7mn contract, after playing a 'pivotal role' in Horizon scandal

By R. HOOPER and J. DIRNHUBER and J. GROVES - UPDATED: 18:16, 18 April 2023

Edited by Observations
  • Sad 1