Campion Posted February 19 Share Posted February 19 (edited) 2 hours ago, Macnamara said: well the thing about 'democracy' is that it is rule by the majority which means that 51% of the population can impose things on the other 49% So in a country that considers itself a 'democracy' politics is a numbers game. This means that demographics have a political dimension In theory a democracy should work like that and I can't deny that a higher population leads to more power. However ... 2 hours ago, Macnamara said: Equally if you are a native population and you don't want incoming interest groups to impose their value systems, culture, beliefs and the legislation that can enshrine those things on you then naturally you are going to want to limit the influx of those interest groups to ensure the ongoing harmony and survival of your own culture, values, beliefs etc I don't think that's 'bigotry' because i think everyone around the world feels the same way so i'd simply call it 'being human' No it isn't bigotry to want to live with your own kind. And speaking in the western European context, we, the great majority haven't wanted MI; our democratic politicians have known perfectly well we don't want it and vaguely promise to limit it; but yet it continues unabated. So doesn't that indicate there's something going wrong with our initial claim that democracy involves the rule of the majority? It suggests that there are minority interests overruling the majority's wishes. And the fact that this minority is operating behind the scenes of democratic political decision making, means that describing this as a conspiracy is quite reasonable. Edited February 19 by Campion Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.