Amazon Email Scam

Hello Mum

Red Alert - I received an email this morning from my brother in law, using his private email address, asking if I have an Amazon account and whether I could send an ecard gift for him. I emailed back to say yes of course I would, just let me know how much and the recipients address. I got an immediate response, with a link to click on, asking me to send a £300 gift card along with the recipients email address.  It looked genuine although on reflection I should perhaps have twigged this sooner. It turns out that the same email has been sent to all his email contacts and most of his friends were almost taken in by it.  Probably the only reason why more haven't been taken in is the amount in question - had it been £30 then many would probably fall for it.

Be on your guard and spread this far and wide.

2 hours ago, Hello Mum said:

Red Alert - I received an email this morning from my brother in law, using his private email address, asking if I have an Amazon account and whether I could send an ecard gift for him. I emailed back to say yes of course I would, just let me know how much and the recipients address. I got an immediate response, with a link to click on, asking me to send a £300 gift card along with the recipients email address.  It looked genuine although on reflection I should perhaps have twigged this sooner. It turns out that the same email has been sent to all his email contacts and most of his friends were almost taken in by it.  Probably the only reason why more haven't been taken in is the amount in question - had it been £30 then many would probably fall for it.

Be on your guard and spread this far and wide.

He needs to change his email password immediately and scan his devices for anything dodgy.

This reminded me of a scam tried on someone a few years ago.After selling their house and providing proof to the local housing office an odd thing happened.Unknown to the Housing clerk this info implied a suddenly wealthy infirm old person,however the mobile number contact given was not theirs but a relative's.

The next day they received a text to click on a link for a package on it's way,which they knew was bogus,but someone trusting could easily fall for.