Im making a new flag for my next protest. What would be the most well known freedom sign or symbol.

Captainlove

Here you are for any etymolygizers which sometimes I can be that myself.... 

"the most substantial dish in a meal."  (seems to be the most accepted meaning)

Quote next from:

https://french.stackexchange.com/questions/40628/is-there-any-evidence-that-pièce-de-résistance-had-its-origin-in-people-playfu

The phrase "piece of resistance" does not seem to have appeared in relation to a military context, considering the etymology of the word "resistance" and taking into account the meaning of "piece".

Ac.: In a meal, Piece of resistance, Considerable piece, where there is a lot to eat.

Looking at the etymology of the word “resistance” one can find that the meaning is generic, that it is not defined from a confrontation between combatants (lexical field of war). This definition has various meanings (electric current, digestion of a meal, feeling of love, etc.).

Centering again on the phrase "piece of resistance".... Here is a little showpiece of FUN....

SO.... NOW.... AS WE SEE, two perfectly civilized people... or so we imagine...

Starting with English Guy in a French Restaurant... (in BOLD,, and by contrast Waiter in humble plain text)

-aka- Man with BARGAINING CHIP spoken to IMAGINARY WAITER about ETYMOLOGY: 

Aaaaaah, so the french, it seems they believe Love is electric, whether war or no war, as long as the main meal is concordial c'est fantastique eh?.... Encore!! no way no more....wait, let me challenge something in our understanding..... Mon Dieu, what did I say which you thought I say?... Wait...no... No I mean Garçon waiter come here sil voulez pleazy!

OK, Sir ....I am here, as if by magic... At your request Sir!
(Excuse my better than English than your French, thankyou Sir!)

Err, okay ..... Now I want to ask (if at all possible)-}}
What feeling of Love could ever be justified in making my meal so expensive? and should I be experiencing a sense of shock at the sight of my bill and this thirteen course meal?... Please explain to me!
I am English and ready to engage....Ci?

Ok, sorry Sir, we have madeth mistake(?) ~tut tut~ but we still take your money? This is not good Sir..... (however you say this in French by Waiter speaking in a way the english man - in BOLD, does not fully understand... okay wait for it :p)

Ci, anyway, what seems the problem Sir? 

No, not exactly a mistake.... just your idiomatic etymology seems a bit strange by way of the French language that you all speak!!.. 
Are we really fighting an unseen war here waiter, or I am reading too much into things because everything is generic in french and therefore not really a war of conflict but more a conflict of words?

Ah, d'accord, oui, non pas du problem.... Ce'st votre Nonsense Patron Sir.... What? What make a problem votre?

I speak French I should know what I am saying and yet I am speak in ENGLISH as FRENCHMAN, vot is going on? Uhhh, I go mad... (says Waiter)

My gosh, MAN NOW ATTEMPTS SPEAKING FRENCH:
Excuse~ mon Serveur, c'est moi tu le sais? Savez-vous?.... Je suis Anglais, mais pour quoi puis-je faire?

C'est mon anglais qui fait un conflit maintenant?

hmmm..... Erh, if I can let me help Sir, mais pour quoi puis-je faire pour quoi?

hmmm... okay Garçon, écoutez-moi plaider avec vous s'il vous plaît! (<<basicly pleading to understand!)
GARႺON DID YOU SAY: Something about asking~ what can I do for you about what? Am I correct?...

Monsieur Siree~ le plein droit aux frais et à l'entretien devrait être offert, mais à nous de nous apitoyer sur notre sort, pas à vous !

oh...Gosh, mon apologie mon Serveur, c'est moi. English ci?

Ok, let me look up the translation of this for my English!

=== >

"full rights to costs and maintenance should be offered, but we should feel sorry for ourselves, not you!"  😳 English Man reads to himself SLOWLY ^^^ hmmm, let me think, what does this mean that needs me to think!?.....

Ah, of course, I am nothing more than a Liberty Bell! Silly me, full cost and damages for wasting your time... We English are so stooopid sometimes. I am really sorry!.... Thankyou, bon apetite, goodbye, bon voyage,,, et cetera.

Farewell my "piece" taking Monsieur... Au Jourd'hui Seulement (but never again!) grins the man on his way out of the restaurant, a little worn out by the exchange, but feeling a certain "resistance" about going back again another day, but of course! 😁

Merci Sir, have a good day too, and please spend wisely!... and do spend more the next time!

WHAT??? You speak english, why wait until now to tell me, because Sir you said Wait, don't you remember??? .... Wait, COME BACK !!!

Edited by Certified Green of Heart

11 hours ago, alexa said:

image_2022-11-09_171827000.png.fda7efe78a8f6c7aed72d877ccfeb498.png

I saved this image, thanks Alexa! ...It's a classic alright!.... It's pretty standout, especially where any big guy is expressing great anger but with great humility, so much so it is obvious one is under-stating umbrage by heaps & reams - but somet'imes it's good this way (a little restraint etc) as it shows great self control despite having strong feelings and strong desire for justice!  The Sign here is stronger for it by juxtaposition of context verses police expectation or anyone in the wrong looking on!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Certified Green of Heart said:

I saved this image, thanks Alexa! ...It's a classic alright!.... It's pretty standout, especially where any big guy is expressing great anger but with great humility, so much so it is obvious one is under-stating umbrage by heaps & reams - but somet'imes it's good this way (a little restraint etc) as it shows great self control despite having strong feelings and strong desire for justice!  The Sign here is stronger for it by juxtaposition of context verses police expectation or anyone in the wrong looking on!

Thanks Certified Green, I agree 100%, but it also has it's humorous side which is a little less offensive. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1