🪢 Get Knotted! ...

webtrekker

I thought it might be helpful to add this thread for all would-be Off-Gridders as you never know when knots may become useful or even life-saving.

Please feel free to add any knots or ropework you have personally found useful in the past or which you think may be of use in the future.

I'll start you off with a knot I have used many times myself and can guarantee it's effectiveness ..

THE CONSTRICTOR

I've actually used this knot to replace a broken hose clip on a car engine. It's a 'ratcheting knot,' meaning that it retains the pressure you applied when tying it and never slips. A good way of getting it super-tight is to tie the loose ends around pieces of wood so that you can pull them very hard. I'm sure you could find many uses for such a knot, just don't tie it around anyone's neck (present parliament excluded!). 😉

• Thanks 1

Another extremely effective 'knot' that I again have used many times, mainly for towing cars. Don't be fooled by it's simplicity, I used this to tie a rope between my car and my speedboat and trailer and dragged it through soft sand while driving on the hard sand nearer to the sea.

It's basically a half-hitch and the standing end of the rope is then passed through the 'lay' of the rope (ie. between the strands). When under tension the lay tightens and stops the half-hitch from becoming undone. Can be tied in seconds and is easily shook apart when finished. Once tied, easily remembered!

BARGEE'S EYE SPLICE

2022-10-24_01-37-56.png.e36f25caf36a2d78eac3045df3e5a33e.png

The name is derived from the fact that certain Bargee's used it to tie their barges to a horse when pulling them along the canal. It isn't, of course, an actual eye splice, but has just retained the name.

It's a hard knot to find using Google, so practice it and remember it.

Edited by webtrekker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 1:28 AM, webtrekker said:

It only takes a small amount of time and is actually quite therapeutic.

True maybe for individual knots but when you get weaving using paracord or whatever cordage u got it CAN become WELL TIME CONSUMING  (more than you know, so be conscious of how much reasoned time you give yourself over learning each progressive step or project as a whole) if you are anything like me, and go into your own world whilst doing it, & can challenge you quite a lot in my experience, so be careful novices you don't take on more than you can manage at the start. Go with basic weaves (if weaving) .... OR if learning JUST Knots in stand alone rather than multiple or whole set of knots, then most SINGLE KNOT configurations are fine and won't trouble you too much if just a ONE TIE JOB or a handful of SIMPLE knots by whatever needed, esp. if so simple they are both quick and easy to remember..

Personally I've gone quite eccentric-like by "mad learning" them ALL BY HAND if just knots... *no machine for  my weaving matey*... but assistive odds and ends may help you like having A FID to guide your cordage for one thing.... Now as a result for me, despite my few items at basic level, I have not  produced REAMS (that was not necessarily the aim to produce lots), but have in past 3 years paid quite close attention to it generally so I have, and am relatively satisfied by my learning despite progress being a little too slow.... (however, from all known knots perhaps I learned beyond what I really needed) -- so best you kept in proportion to what's needed FOR YOU to not rob too much of your time when checking out LOTS OF KNOTS....

But Yep overall knots in general are an excellent contribution to off-grid/ everyday knowledge. Webtrekker is right basicly, but do heed my warning too. Not because you should be afraid to try doing new things, but because this art does require patience where weaving**/sewing (not my forte exactly just now) - but where either here is concerned, the warning being you CAN FIND EITHER a bit of challenge when not used to it, so expect that but don't be put off!!! ~> so in the case of weaving say by making a belt** or a bracelet** as beginner projects - there is a moderate amount of skill AND focus  needed even when others may say to you= "OH THIS IS EASY", (BUT QUESTION< is it really? See- its all RELATIVE to your skill set/ pattern complexity/ and particular weave style employed as to how difficult you may find it) so be a little mindful even when following a tutorial as sometimes still not completely easy as you begin comprehending for the first time... and also consider where applicable using your own intuitive smart thinking if thinking up your own knotting methods, but this too is where extra time can easily be taken up -so don't go too crazy at the start is MY advice for anything above and beyond stand alone knots. (however making a cargo -net or any net I'd guess is a good and quite easy beginner project as an exception to that from what I've seen but I confess I have yet to try nets myself, & likewise some kinds of more simple types of lashing for say carrying a bundle of wood-sticks, most easy on that basis.... WHEREAS furniture lashing for sure is another level of lashing sophistication). 

Edited by TetraG
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2022 at 10:50 AM, webtrekker said:

Another extremely effective 'knot' that I again have used many times, mainly for towing cars. Don't be fooled by it's simplicity, I used this to tie a rope between my car and my speedboat and trailer and dragged it through soft sand while driving on the hard sand nearer to the sea.

It's basically a half-hitch and the standing end of the rope is then passed through the 'lay' of the rope (ie. between the strands). When under tension the lay tightens and stops the half-hitch from becoming undone. Can be tied in seconds and is easily shook apart when finished. Once tied, easily remembered!

BARGEE'S EYE SPLICE

2022-10-24_01-37-56.png.e36f25caf36a2d78eac3045df3e5a33e.png

The name is derived from the fact that certain Bargee's used it to tie their barges to a horse when pulling them along the canal. It isn't, of course, an actual eye splice, but has just retained the name.

It's a hard knot to find using Google, so practice it and remember it.

That looks interesting,basically I only ever use thee knots because that's all I can tie 1 is a half hitch 2 is a blood knot for fishing but I also use this one for joining rope as it will never let go and the last is a truckie's hitch ,not only good for tying down loads on a trailer etc but you can also use it to make what is effectively a gang of pulleys in the rope to gain more leverage if required (I've used this method dropping trees near houses ,you can get them to fall where you want but this just adds a layer of security when there is no room for error )   

Edited by peter
  • Like 2