Audiobooks

LynnS

Wish there was a way to contact Mr. Icke. I am enjoying his new book on audio.  None of his other books are on audio. I was hoping to see if he would be willing to record his book Everything You Need to Know but Was Never Told and Perceptions of a Renagade Mind. I have trouble reading books because I tend to skip lines or read the same one over again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LynnS said:

Wish there was a way to contact Mr. Icke. I am enjoying his new book on audio.  None of his other books are on audio. I was hoping to see if he would be willing to record his book Everything You Need to Know but Was Never Told and Perceptions of a Renagade Mind. I have trouble reading books because I tend to skip lines or read the same one over again.

I agree it would be great to have all David’s work available in audio format. I will pass a message to admin though I don’t imagine it will change a lot. I imagine it is enormously time consuming creating the book as audio.

Lets hope David decides to do this!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bombadil said:

I agree it would be great to have all David’s work available in audio format. I will pass a message to admin though I don’t imagine it will change a lot. I imagine it is enormously time consuming creating the book as audio.

Lets hope David decides to do this!

I knew some people in "talking books "years ago who used to narrate onto tapes in those days (lare80s) back in Bournemouth , so perhaps that's another way to do it  something like that if too time consuming ?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Talorgan said:

I knew some people in "talking books "years ago who used to narrate onto tapes in those days (lare80s) back in Bournemouth , so perhaps that's another way to do it  something like that if too time consuming ?

I don’t know anything about the recording process etc. Any way that David got the books recorded would be a winner Imo.

• Like 3

There are sites like Librivox where volunteers read/record books, but only public domain (/where copyright isn't an issue). 

An interesting alternative to helpful humans is Amazon's Polly - it's a fairly realistic text to audio tool which can, in theory, convert a 'book of words' to audio. Upload the text file, let it process for a bit, then out pops your audio file.

The caveats are:

(a) copyright issues as ever, so likely any output can't be publicly distributed without consent of the legal owner;

(b) there's a mark-up language to learn if you want it to sound 'human', although fairly straightforward for anyone who's coded old school html, but it will be a big task to mark up a whole book... then test/debug prior to final commit;

(c) first year is free (-ish) then reverts to a $4 per million characters ($16 pmc for their super-duper 'neural' service), which is enough for several books;

[after some more consideration...]

(d) it's Amazon, so part of the fascist borg;

(e) oh yeah, one would need David's books in electronic format;

(f) any output would likely be for personal consumption only, although that's already implied by point (a).

I've only managed to convert one book [of words] - resulting in around 7 hours of audio - using Polly and it took an astonishing amount of time, trial and error. Debugging the mark-up language was the most laborious part. 

Google offers a similar service.... but that lot are openly evil so it doesn't seem wise to willingly/knowingly 'dance with the devil' and use their services. There are other options for text to speech, some paid for services, some software - paid and open source (check GitHub for the latter), but most would require a lot of effort to convert an entire book. 

Alternatively, maybe - and with David's permission - some kind forum member with a nice voice and lots of spare time could create audio versions of David's back catalogue of books -? 🥺

Edited by Dickwan
typo

I also am very much enjoying Davids new book the trap from audible. I bet there's some hypocrisy there since I refuse facebook twitter etc, but anyway I have unfortunate disabilities after a life event that makes reading long books difficult. I find myself looking at words after a while rather than taking in the overall information. It sucks because before that event I could pop off a 1000 page novel that says nothing of importance no problem and fill in the gaps with imagination too.

Bottom line is I also would love David to narrate his library because I can follow voice easily and there's also options to listen at a reduced speed too. It's really great hearing his inflection, mood, humor and humanity in the words from The Trap, and even after buying the trigger paperback and being interested in reading it, I just gave up because I was unable to process it. (I didn't really need to learn anything from it anyway, 911 live tv was what properly woke me up - thanks to watching the matrix 1999)

I would love to help drum up interest in him narrating his past works in any way I can. I don't think big dave reads any of this stuff though so what can we do?

That last question was not rhetorical.