Study: Rainwater No Longer Safe To Drink ANYWHERE On The Planet Due To Presence Of Toxic PFAS Chemicals

Truthblast

What good news... /s

https://phys.org/news/2022-08-rainwater-unsafe-due-chemicals.html#:~:text=Rainwater everywhere on the planet is unsafe to,to a new study by Stockholm University scientists.

Rainwater everywhere on the planet is unsafe to drink due to levels of toxic chemicals known as PFAS that exceed the latest guidelines, according to a new study by Stockholm University scientists.

Commonly known as 'forever chemicals' because they disintegrate extremely slowly, PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) were initially found in packaging, shampoo or makeup but have spread to our entire environment, including water and air.

"There is nowhere on Earth where the rain would be safe to drink, according to the measurements that we have taken," Ian Cousins, a professor at the university and the lead author of the study published in Environmental Science and Technology, told AFP.

A compilation of the data since 2010 that his team studied showed that "even in Antarctica or the Tibetan plateau, the levels in the rainwater are above the drinking water guidelines that the US EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) proposed", he said.

Normally considered pristine, the two regions still have PFAS levels "14 times higher" than the US drinking water guidelines.

The EPA recently lowered its PFAS guidelines significantly after discovering that the chemicals may affect the immune response in children to vaccines, Cousins noted.

Once ingested, PFAS accumulate in the body.

According to some studies, exposure can also lead to problems with fertility, developmental delays in children, increased risks of obesity or certain cancers (prostate, kidney and testicular), an increase in cholesterol levels.
—Planet 'irreversibly contaminated'—

Cousins said PFAS were now "so persistent" and ubiquitous that they will never disappear from the planet.

"We have made the planet inhospitable to human life by irreversibly contaminating it now so that nothing is clean anymore. And to the point that's it's not clean enough to be safe", he said.

"We have crossed a planetary boundary", he said, referring to a central paradigm for evaluating Earth's capacity to absorb the impact of human activity.

However, Cousins noted that PFAS levels in people have actually dropped "quite significantly in the last 20 years" and "ambient levels (of PFAS in the environment) have been the same for the past 20 years".

"What's changed is the guidelines. They've gone down millions of times since the early 2000s, because we've learned more about the toxicity of these substances."

Cousins said we have to learn to live with it.

"I'm not super concerned about the everyday exposure in mountain or stream water or in the food. We can't escape it... we're just going to have to live with it."

"But it's not a great situation to be in, where we've contaminated the environment to the point where background exposure is not really safe."

• Like 1

There is a consequence for everything. So you flood nature with rubbish and it floods you back. Noahs ark

Osmio water sell a vitamin C shower head which tries to remove all the limescale and chlorine from the water. The chlorine has a gas chamber effect when you take a hot shower, our water is really not good to drink or wash with. I only do cold showers now and I only drink hot/cold water from my countertop reverse osmosis machine from osmio.

You can add a couple different types of water softener in combination with a reverse osmosis in-line filter to create a whole house filtration system but depending on the type of softener you will be adding an plumbed in amount of waste water back into the water supply. With the in-line reverse osmosis filter you will be adding a plumbed in amount of waste water back into the water supply, also, in comparison to the countertop machine, the in-line filter obviously has to work a lot faster so it's not as good at filtering the water as the countertop machine, and the countertop machine leaves a small amount of water behind in the refillable tub to keep the filters from becoming clogged too quickly, this water can then be used for remedial cleaning or watering certain plants, so not being wasted and added back into the water supply, thus adding to the water suppliers issue of filtering out the crap from our tap water with the chemicals that they use. Impossible for it to be an exact science. I also drink a good amount of bottled water because I believe even reverse osmosis water from the counterertop machine which does have its own re-mineralisation process, isn't quite what we should be naturally drinking as humans, but, it does mean my boiling water and drinking water is far better than tap water.

Some people do use an in-line filter system with a water softener and still use the countertop machine, but I am not sure about doing this myself as I am worried about the waste water being added back into the supply, so I opted to just use a vitamin c shower head instead for my cold showers. I don't like baths but they do have a vitamin c in-line filter which can be plumbed in underneath the tub but needs one on each of the hot and cold supply so easier to just take a cold shower 

Lots to think about in this new age.... I for one don't trust anyone but myself to provide me with safe water

Edited by Sanityisgone
  • Like 2