Facial recognition CCTV in shops

Artmuzz

I was in my local Boots and as I was leaving the shop after purchasing goods, I noticed on the CCTV screen that there was a red square following my face. Does anyone know what the red square is for. I have never seen this before on CCTV screens and it’s left me feeling paranoid. I’m thinking it could be facial recognition but why the red square? I am an honest law abiding citizen but I don’t like the feeling I am treated like a criminal.

Edited by Artmuzz

18 minutes ago, Artmuzz said:

I was in my local Boots and as I was leaving the shop after purchasing goods, I noticed on the CCTV screen that there was a red square following my face. Does anyone know what the red square is for. I have never seen this before on CCTV screens and it’s left me feeling paranoid. I’m thinking it could be facial recognition but why the red square? I am an honest law abiding citizen but I don’t like the feeling I am treated like a criminal.

Some of the major supermarkets have been doing this for a while. I suspect its some kind of facial recognition system for future use. Its all part of the NWO/WEF dream.

16 minutes ago, Artmuzz said:

Its an algorithm recognizing that there is a face in that part of the image, but not necessarily recognizing whose face it is.

Video cameras and smartphones have this too when you snapp pix - the autofocus will often draw squares around the faces of people to better focus them.

Technically, its just a "that is a face" function.

But yes, it could be a sign that face recognition is in the system.

Because CCTV cameras are fixed focus - they don't need to see a face and then quickly refocus themselves.

If its not face recog, it could simply be the "that is a face" function which came with the CCTV camera or monitor.

• Like 1

The red square probably means, what the camera is looking for its found and concentrating on. ie faces

So you cannot know what they are looking for with there cctv, but it makes sense they would be wanting to take images of faces, just incase someone does a crime.

If you go into a big store, look up, you will be amazed how many cameras there are. I find it amazing how many they have, and one would assume its always recording.

1 hour ago, andy1033 said:

The red square probably means, what the camera is looking for its found and concentrating on. ie faces

I don’t understand why the camera was looking for me as I did nothing wrong and didn’t look suspicious. I was only in to buy something and browse and then I left. This is quite worrying.

8 hours ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

Yet whenever they need footage, it's always blurry or the camera wasn't working properly.

Even if they have a face on the CCTV, the police still ask for help to identify the person. 

So why bother.

We know, of course.

Yeah, strange this, they always seem to be switched off or not working at some tragic event.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Australia's Face Print Tracker:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220616-the-nation-where-your-faceprint-is-already-being-tracked 

"The pandemic created all these new justifications for using facial recognition technology," says Mark Andrejevic, a professor of media studies at Monash University in Melbourne and the author of a book [en]titled "Facial Recognition".. (<<Published in October 17th 2022) "Everything went online and organisations were trying to make things work very quickly. But the implications haven't been thought through. Do we want to live in a world where everything is rendered and there are no private spaces? It creates a whole new level of stress that does not lead to a healthy society."

Edited by Certified Green of Heart

On 8/20/2022 at 11:41 PM, Artmuzz said:

I don’t understand why the camera was looking for me as I did nothing wrong and didn’t look suspicious. I was only in to buy something and browse and then I left. This is quite worrying.

Seriously, do you think I should be worried? A few months back in W.H. Smith I asked the lady stacking some books ' if they had a crime section'? She said yes and pointed it out to me, I said 'oh good, because I want to steal a book' and walked away whistling to myself, she actually came and stood watching me for a short while although she pretended to be fiddling with a couple of books!🤭 My wife gets totally embarrassed and thinks I'm going a bit senile, but hey, it keeps the staff on their toes a bit doesn't it?👍

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2022 at 7:01 AM, alexa said:

Yeah, strange this, they always seem to be switched off or not working at some tragic event.

The same thing was in operation on Brighton and Hove buses, there were at least a dozen cameras, hidden in heat sensors, under the bus stopping sign etc as well as the few you could openly see! If there was an 'incident' they rarely caught any images, BUT if a driver was on the fiddle, in the days of cash, then they always seemed to work a 100% perfectly! Some drivers were right greedy, fiddling the takings, all the hours overtime they could grab etc! I can honestly say I never did one hour's overtime in the nearly ten years I was there, I couldn't wait to clock out and head home, enough was enough for me! Whereas others virtually lived there, and their wives had to keep pictures of them to show the family dog to stop him attacking their husbands if they did occasionally come home!🤭

I will admit I sometimes rang in sick and went off driving one of my son in law's rental lorries for a day, sometimes two,  for cash in hand, much more rewarding for me than paying tax after being abused by the general public day in and day out! I was never a committed employee for a company that always believed the public's version of events rather than their own employees! 

Edited by Mr Crabtree
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Crabtree said:

I will admit I sometimes rang in sick and went off driving one of my son in law's rental lorries for a day, sometimes two,  for cash in hand,

This is one of the reasons loads are dreading a cashless society.

I didn't realize there were so many hidden camera's on buses. But as per, they only work when the establishment want them too.

• Thanks 1