Forum query.

numnuts

Has the forum software been upgraded at all, in the past day or so? I can no longer quote and post on my sentimental, old Lada of a pc. We are talking the best tech of 2004 here. A sad day indeed, if this isn't some sort of temporary glitch.

18 hours ago, numnuts said:

Has the forum software been upgraded at all, in the past day or so? I can no longer quote and post on my sentimental, old Lada of a pc. We are talking the best tech of 2004 here. A sad day indeed, if this isn't some sort of temporary glitch.

I’ll ask admin

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you both for the replies. On the old pc, the situation has changed again. I now can't even see the word 'Quote', underneath a post someone has made. It's not a major problem for me though. I just wondered whether it was something to do with a forum software change or not. If it was something to do with a forum software change, then please tell admin not to expend much effort in to trying to fix my problem for me, as it is possibly only affecting me. Not that many users on this forum nowadays, sadly, and not much chance of any of them running nigh on 20 years old hardware, as I am. I will just do things differently.

Edited by numnuts
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, nothing had changed, as of yesterday, and I am now set up to do things differently. I will keep checking back on the old pc though, as i did prefer to use it when browsing this forum.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:36 PM, numnuts said:

I can no longer quote and post on my sentimental, old Lada of a pc. We are talking the best tech of 2004 here.

Have you changed gas suppliers recently?

🤣

More seriously though, have you tried updating your browser? Which browser do you use? (Please tell me it's not IE!).

Edited by webtrekker
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2022 at 12:58 AM, webtrekker said:

More seriously though, have you tried updating your browser? Which browser do you use? (Please tell me it's not IE!).

The crux of my issue is old hardware limiting the use of new OS's, which in turn limits the use of newer browser releases, which in turn, slowly but surely, limits what you can access online, which I am sure you must know. Things had gotten quite bad already and I knew it wouldn't be too much longer, before I had to ditch my old pc for web browsing. I just wasn't expecting this forum to provide the coup de grace, as I do use this forum reasonably frequently and it would be too inconvenient for me to browse it solely on another device. Actually, I am still not entirely sure if it was a forum software update that stopped me accesssing this forum on my old pc, but I presume it was.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, numnuts said:

The crux of my issue is old hardware limiting the use of new OS's, which in turn limits the use of newer browser releases, which in turn, slowly but surely, limits what you can access online, which I am sure you must know. Things had gotten quite bad already and I knew it wouldn't be too much longer, before I had to ditch my old pc for web browsing. I just wasn't expecting this forum to provide the coup de grace, as I do use this forum reasonably frequently and it would be too inconvenient for me to browse it solely on another device. Actually, I am still not entirely sure if it was a forum software update that stopped me accesssing this forum on my old pc, but I presume it was.   

Can you not use a firefox or Brave browser? Obviously if you stuck with Windows and IE then Microsoft will false you to have newer OS that you cannot install Edge etc...

It's more likely to be not the hardware issue but something to do with client end problem which is depends on which version of browser you are using.

For example, if you disable javascript, a web page that relies heavily on javascript will not function.

Edited by DaleP

23 hours ago, numnuts said:

Linux breathes 'new life' into older PCs, seriously, have a look into this, especially if you don't really use much software that 'requires' Windows to run on.

Most 'flavours' of Linux will run happily on older hardware, and will allow you at least to run latest versions of open-source browsers such as Firefox.

Unfortunately many web-based software applications, such as forums or anything else that runs in an internet browser, are built to run most effectively with modern browsers that support the latest web technologies.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2022 at 10:14 PM, DaleP said:

Can you not use a firefox or Brave browser? Obviously if you stuck with Windows and IE then Microsoft will false you to have newer OS that you cannot install Edge etc. It's more likely to be not the hardware issue but something to do with client end problem which is depends on which version of browser you are using. For example, if you disable javascript, a web page that relies heavily on javascript will not function.

I was using Firefox, but I was stuck with an old release. I have since ditched the old pc and RIP.

On 7/26/2022 at 8:13 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

Linux breathes 'new life' into older PCs, seriously, have a look into this, especially if you don't really use much software that 'requires' Windows to run on. Most 'flavours' of Linux will run happily on older hardware, and will allow you at least to run latest versions of open-source browsers such as Firefox. Unfortunately many web-based software applications, such as forums or anything else that runs in an internet browser, are built to run most effectively with modern browsers that support the latest web technologies.

Yes, I decided Linux was the way to go in the end, but not on the old pc. It was quite power hungry (120 watts without any monitors attached) and with the price of electricty nowadays (!), considering that it was switched on most of the time, then maybe it was for the best that it went. A pretty decent laptop, which you can obviously attach an external monitor to, can run on just 10 watts or so nowadays.

Edited by numnuts

For the first time, just the other day, I had a 'You can't access the forum because your device isn't connected to the internet' message. Or something like that. Maybe I should have saved the exact text of message. Everything was normal and my device was connected to the internet though. Sigh.