Jump to content

Is There a Cure For Anxiety?


The OC
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TheConsultant said:

Picamillon/pikamilon/picamilon is incredible, but addressing the root cause is the only way to truly relieve yourself of anxiety.

I agree, its always a trauma that causes anxiety,so you need to work on yourself with,meditation and talking things through with a good counsellor. And the most important thing is staying in the now,because you can't be stressed in the now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Captainlove said:

I agree, its always a trauma that causes anxiety,so you need to work on yourself with,meditation and talking things through with a good counsellor. And the most important thing is staying in the now,because you can't be stressed in the now.

 

I have trauma based anxiety, I live in the 'Flight or Fight' mode on a day to day basis. I get stressed in the now for no reason.

 

It was literally beaten into me as a kid. No amount of talking or meditation gets that out of you, or so the counsellors have told me. I can only learn to live with it now, and hope I don't go schizophrenic in later years.

 

My answer - Weed and Smoking, its like meditation - slow deep breaths in, hold, slow exhales. Do that for 5 mins and it calms you down, then the weed or nicotine kicks in and your even better. Its not practical to sit and meditate every time I get anxious, several times a day, and I've found I've lost my ability to meditate as I could when I was younger.

 

Of course, I'd like to switch to vaping for health and financial reasons, if I can't do that, I may switch to edibles. Otherwise I'm stuck with smoking.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both NLP ( neuro Linguistic Programming) and CBT ( cognitive Behavioural Therapy ) can easily cure anxiety. The brain needs to be rewired. Anxiety is learned behaviour. There are MANY techniques to help it. 

I dont feel that meditation alone will help unless you are very dedicated because meditation needs a quiet mind, which is often a near impossible task for the anxious.

However, you could also try a mixture binaural beats with meditation/ hypnosis combined. Basically with mind worms like anxiety you have to break the pattern going on in your head and replace it with a positive one instead. Anxiety is fear based, like most mental issues of this nature such as an extreme version- OCD. Using techniques to clear the mind at the end of every day is also great 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RobinJ said:

Both NLP ( neuro Linguistic Programming) and CBT ( cognitive Behavioural Therapy ) can easily cure anxiety. The brain needs to be rewired. Anxiety is learned behaviour. There are MANY techniques to help it. 

I dont feel that meditation alone will help unless you are very dedicated because meditation needs a quiet mind, which is often a near impossible task for the anxious.

However, you could also try a mixture binaural beats with meditation/ hypnosis combined. Basically with mind worms like anxiety you have to break the pattern going on in your head and replace it with a positive one instead. Anxiety is fear based, like most mental issues of this nature such as an extreme version- OCD. Using techniques to clear the mind at the end of every day is also great 

 

Thanks.

 

Not tried NLP, I know its a powerful technique, tried CBT but it didn't help much.

 

I know its a learned behaviour but its been instilled into me from a very young age. Its hard to get it out and counsellors have told me I'm not likely to ever get over it.

 

I had 3 near death experiences and an attempted suicide by the time I was 11. You just don't get over trauma like that.

 

I had bad OCD as a teenager as well as Body Dismorphia, low self esteem, imposter syndrome and insomnia. I also have great trouble trusting people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, pi3141 said:

 

Thanks.

 

Not tried NLP, I know its a powerful technique, tried CBT but it didn't help much.

 

I know its a learned behaviour but its been instilled into me from a very young age. Its hard to get it out and counsellors have told me I'm not likely to ever get over it.

 

I had 3 near death experiences and an attempted suicide by the time I was 11. You just don't get over trauma like that.

 

I had bad OCD as a teenager as well as Body Dismorphia, low self esteem, imposter syndrome and insomnia. I also have great trouble trusting people.

 

All these are manifestations of the same illness. Have you explored your spiritual side yet? These near death experiences may be a nudge to get on with that. There are a lot of traumatised people around right now. If CBT didnt help then maybe the practitioners were not very good at it? There have been trauma mind controlled people who have got over all their abuse, it's not impossible. If a so called councillor or therapist tells you that you wont get over it, then its time for a better one. I dont know where you are financially, but have you heard of Nick & Eva Speakman? They have had a lot of success with all the stuff you mention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nik_%26_Eva_Speakman

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anxiety causes panic attacks, which can be lethal, get yerself on anti-depressants like I had too when I came out of hospital after my triple A heart operation where as I nearly died, they really have helped me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I had to get on antidepressants unfortunately. Also make sure your diet is good. Perhaps supplementing on magnesium and B complex? 

 

I also take a Vitamin B12 supplement to stop me getting cramps.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RobinJ said:

All these are manifestations of the same illness. Have you explored your spiritual side yet? These near death experiences may be a nudge to get on with that.

 

Funnily enough yeah, I have been re-exploring my spiritual side. Thought I was done with it, by that I mean I had my opinions of it, then events led me to a different path. My children go to a religious school, its the closest school, the only one in the village, they started asking questions I did not have answers for. So I started reading, then I had a breakdown. It lasted a few weeks, thought I was A son of God, heard voices in my head, started speaking in Rhyme, built a cross that took up my entire garage, ended with me driving up and down several motorways in the middle of the night at 130mph with my eyes closed and my arms stretched out like a cross, willing God to take me. After a few hours I came to my senses, realized I was talking to voices in my head and went home to see the doctor. 

 

I believe I've been saved by Angels many times. That night was one of them.

 

I've done much reading over last few years (when I was able - see post below) culminating in me attending several churches. At the Spiritualist Church I was told by a Medium that I had been pulled back onto the right path and that my guide had been guiding me to read the books I had read. I said I was questioning what I had been reading and she told me - a Christian Vicar / Medium - I am absolutely on the right path, bearing in mind, virtually all the books I had read were Anti - Christianity, or rather that Christianity is Paganism repackaged for the masses or more specifically, Christianity still uses the framework of Paganism to model its religion and version of the spiritual world. But apparently its the truth. I would go on but this is the wrong thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, alexa said:

Anxiety causes panic attacks, which can be lethal, get yerself on anti-depressants like I had too when I came out of hospital after my triple A heart operation where as I nearly died, they really have helped me.

 

2 hours ago, Fluke said:

I had to get on antidepressants unfortunately. Also make sure your diet is good. Perhaps supplementing on magnesium and B complex? 

 

Thanks Guys,

 

I'm on Anti Depressants, Anti Psychotics and Diazepam for when it gets to bad. I was on maximum legal doses, I drooled when I spoke. Before Lockdown I was reducing, I managed to halve them then Lockdown, couldn't see Doctors and they wouldn't continue, so I was left where I was. I started reducing again last year. 

 

I need to get off them, don't mind the Diazepam for when I get attacks but otherwise, the medication destroys my memory and concentration, I do a technical job and its been very difficult to do it while I've been doped up like I was. Until I halved the doses it was impossible to read a book, remember an email, I'd forget things in 5 minutes. Thing is, I'm not over it, so I need them, but I can't function 100% on them, but it seems I may be to damaged to be without them.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my opinion - and that is all this is, my opinion, I'm no medical expert - drugs and medication are NOT 'the cure' for anxiety.

 

As with anything, drugs merely address the symptoms. Unless you can identify what it is that makes you anxious, and then deal with that issue, your anxiety will never go away.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

In my opinion - and that is all this is, my opinion, I'm no medical expert - drugs and medication are NOT 'the cure' for anxiety.

 

As with anything, drugs merely address the symptoms. Unless you can identify what it is that makes you anxious, and then deal with that issue, your anxiety will never go away.

 

Oh I can identify exactly the cause - physical, emotional and psychological abuse from my primary care giver as a child.

 

I can't change my past, I can't address it, I can't forget it, I'm afraid I am stuck with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, pi3141 said:

 

 

Thanks Guys,

 

I'm on Anti Depressants, Anti Psychotics and Diazepam for when it gets to bad. I was on maximum legal doses, I drooled when I spoke. Before Lockdown I was reducing, I managed to halve them then Lockdown, couldn't see Doctors and they wouldn't continue, so I was left where I was. I started reducing again last year. 

 

I need to get off them, don't mind the Diazepam for when I get attacks but otherwise, the medication destroys my memory and concentration, I do a technical job and its been very difficult to do it while I've been doped up like I was. Until I halved the doses it was impossible to read a book, remember an email, I'd forget things in 5 minutes. Thing is, I'm not over it, so I need them, but I can't function 100% on them, but it seems I may be to damaged to be without them.

 

I take one Citalopram 20 mg per day, they are great, no side effects what so ever.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@pi3141yeah man diazapam is actually the best thing but highly addictive and downsides. I don't want to be the annoying guy that says to the person with severe rheumatoid arthritis "have some ginger tea and tumeric" but keeping dosed up on magnesium, fish oils, B complex. 

 

I used to suffer from severe deoersonalisation and derealisation which I believe now was weed induced. Apparently it's a common symptom of anxiety but no one seems to ever talk about it. At the time I was a wreck, I was 17 and It felt like I was in a dream or a bad trip. I wasn't pychotic but it felt like I didn't recognize my surroundings. I was convinced I was going insane. It sounds ludicrous but the only time I ever felt comfortable in my own skin was to my shame I had to watch soaps and normie television like X factor. There was a terrible movie called 'numb' all about DP/DR and there's a quote in there saying "I feel the green grass on the football game brings me a sense of comfort. 

 

This was a feeling which lasted 24/7 for a few year who knows if I fully recovered or "adapted". 

 

Anyways I found a forum after googling because I couldn't find any real info and a guy on there swore by GABA. Look into it, not suggesting it as I haven't read much about it but he said that he made a full recovery. My point is this feeling can be brought on by panic attacks and anxiety. Anxiety literally feels like you are dying sometimes. I literally thought I cancer one week, brain tumour the next. I was a wreck. 

 

But I am doing okay now. So you can recover. I wouldn't go out on buses for ages. I'm not putting down anyone who smokes weed either. But that stuff wasn't for me. I can't even stand the smell. I am too highly strung for that. And I was a stoner for 3 or 4 years.

 

So I wouldn't say it's forever. It will end. It can take time.  I know I've taken some sly digs at you in the past on here man but it's never personal. Thankyou for this thread because lots of people struggle with this. If you ever need a chat man I'm always around. 

Edited by Fluke
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, pi3141 said:

 

I have trauma based anxiety, I live in the 'Flight or Fight' mode on a day to day basis. I get stressed in the now for no reason.

 

It was literally beaten into me as a kid. No amount of talking or meditation gets that out of you, or so the counsellors have told me. I can only learn to live with it now, and hope I don't go schizophrenic in later years.

 

My answer - Weed and Smoking, its like meditation - slow deep breaths in, hold, slow exhales. Do that for 5 mins and it calms you down, then the weed or nicotine kicks in and your even better. Its not practical to sit and meditate every time I get anxious, several times a day, and I've found I've lost my ability to meditate as I could when I was younger.

 

Of course, I'd like to switch to vaping for health and financial reasons, if I can't do that, I may switch to edibles. Otherwise I'm stuck with smoking.

You have to do whats right for you.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Fluke said:

My point is this feeling can be brought on by panic attacks and anxiety. Anxiety literally feels like you are dying sometimes. I literally thought I cancer one week, brain tumour the next. I was a wreck. 

 

Yes when I have my anxiety attacks I convince myself I'm going to stop breathing - when your trying to fall asleep for work its torture. The only thing I can do is get up take a Diazepam, some alcohol and a smoke, give it time to kick in, then I can sleep for a few hours.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is how anxiety works in your brain, and hence, how to break the cycle.

Basically, in all things, you get what you focus on. If you continually feed the negative, then you will lock yourself into that cycle. Along with that, you have trained your brain to want the flight or fight hormones that anxiety and fear give you.

You have to learn to break that loop you are in and retrain your brain to focus on what you really want. Pharma will make you worse in the end because you just give your power to something else outside of you rather than learn the tools to move forward.

 

What if you had a purpose, would you feel more worthy....?

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I looked at it years ago, Bach Rescue Remedy was very good for staving off panic attacks. I can't verify whether the composition is the same now as it was then, so it's a suggestion to try, as opposed to a recommendation, and it's always a good idea to research others' recommendations for yourself before trying them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More longer term but regular deep meditation visualising your grown up self walking back to your childhood home. Entering (under your own steam you have permission now, you're an adult). Go to yourself as a child. Hold them. Tell them you've got them, it changes, it won't always be like this. You're looking after them. Also when you as an adult needs help or steering ask your future self. If time really isn't linear then these things help.

 

Practising this belief that I have me, I will help me, has really helped over the years.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

Hope this helps. 

Here's the description from the website - "Description: We new research, a class of cells ‘loosely’ called anxiety cells at the moment have been found to be the direct cause for anxiety related conditions, they reside in the ventral part of the hippocampus. The ventral hippocampus also functions in fear conditioning and affective processes.

So these cells are induced to be switched off, resulting usually in a massive anxiety reduction, fear reduction and confidence.

As you work with this and set more out of usual comfort zones, the brain will begin to re-wire to reflect these new experiences.

So while it work exactly as an anxiety reducer, you can begin to slowly permanently make these lasting changes."

(Sorry, I don't know how to remove the black background bitty.)

Try once a day as it's 15 mins long :)

 

this one is great for giving the brain a good shocking restart. 1-2 times is more than enough.

 

There are also fields on self love etc..to help you connect with yourself and for trauma release - 

 

 

 

 

 

Pretty amazing how these work, but they do :)

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, alexa said:

no side effects what so ever.

 

Been having side effects for the last month, its been described on the internet as 'Brain Zaps' or 'Electric Shock Syndrome' I get an electrical shock sensation starting in my upper back and quickly rising to my brain with an acompanying 'bzz' noise inside my head. It happens every few minutes now.

 

Started off just a few times a day but in last 2 weeks its happening every few minutes, but not starting in my back, just a jolt in my head and a buzzing noise. Doctors monitoring but can't explain it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...