Cash-Strapped BBC spend £5m on new studio for News coverage

The revamp for 'Studio B' at New Broadcasting House in London — which the Welsh newsreader admitted is 'much bigger' than the previous one — is thought to have cost as much as £5million.

Studio B — which will be used for BBC News at Six, BBC News at 10, London news bulletins and some political programmes — features three separate catwalk stages with high definition screens.

Edwards said: "It allows us to do far more things than the previous studio allowed us to do. It allows us to explain things in much more detail, with the kind of images that are much more clear."

Using a touch screen on one of the smaller platforms to 'animate details of a story', he insisted it was "Not just toys to play with; advanced technology which allows us to tell the story in a more impactful way.

"In a way that is more illuminating, hopefully."

• Like 1

State Broadcasters in many different countries have a Black Budget.

Many Govts consider state controlled Television to be so "important for getting the message out" that the real budget of the state broadcaster is larger than is publicly stated.

Basically, take the public budget figure and add an extra 50% or so to it in most cases.

Exactly the same as military/defense budgets - often more is spent than is publicly admitted.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

Incredible. One moment they're closing channels and pleading poverty ("sorry, no more quality dramas or decent programmes, we're skint") and the next they're splashing the cash on crap like this.

i was very upset when it cancelled Dirk Gently then sold the show to the yanks who gave us Frodo Baggins and 'the boy from space'

Beeb Edwards sounds like a right pompous snobby twat

• Haha 1

I enjoyed Dirk Gently also, Zark. 

The BBC are very greedy, dodgy gits. I'd like to know a bit more about the full extent of their lavish expenditure. I bet more comes out in time. I'm half expecting them to indulge in a bit of actual hypnotism experimentation via the screen at some point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

Incredible. One moment they're closing channels and pleading poverty ("sorry, no more quality dramas or decent programmes, we're skint") and the next they're splashing the cash on crap like this.

Think usually the way these things work in my experience is different budgets for different stuffs. And in larger and especially Government Organisation, it's very difficult to move one budget allocation to another - there will be a lot of politics involved bw the budget managers. So the budget for programmes and the capex for the studio will be completely separate. Should be more flexible I know, but in large orgs and Gov budgeting standards and skills are  toilet. edit, and of course it's i your best interest to spunk the max budget otherwise you get less next year.

Edited by Mr H

Yeas that's true for Govt orgs, and things like Councils....they get punished financially if they don't spunk it all as you say....but shouldn't the BBC be "independent". Though something as overblown and corrupt probably has a similar MO.

15 hours ago, Nefaria said:

BBC should be shut down.  State propaganda arm and paedo enabling cesspit.   I don't pay a tv licence, never have, never will, everyone should do the same.

Couldn't agree more... I've not had a tv licence for years now and haven't watched any tv programs whatsoever since the covid lies started... makes sense that they must have a black budget as it seems like only months ago the BBC were pleading poverty and claiming they were  hemorrhaging  money as people cancelled their licences.  

• Like 3

Yet the boomers who moan impotently all day about political correctness and every drama programme and tv advert they watch being nothing but black faces still choose to sit in a room staring at a 40 inch TV screen and being brainwashed for hours at a time.

My parents can't imagine life without their TV and their BBC and sky subscriptions...

And then they ask me how these people are getting away with what they're doing to the country....

Because you boomers are bankrolling it with all your media subscriptions.... and obediently taking your daily dose of propaganda.

Throw away the TV and the newspapers and start to find things out for yourself....

Then we will see a change.

Not while the poor soppy boomer cabbages are still watching BBC 1 for the dancing and drama programmes.

Edited by Edgewood
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Edgewood said:

Yet the boomers who moan impotently all day about political correctness and every drama programme and tv advert they watch being nothing but black faces still choose to sit in a room staring at a 40 inch TV screen and being brainwashed for hours at a time.

My parents can't imagine life without their TV and their BBC and sky subscriptions...

And then they ask me how these people are getting away with what they're doing to the country....

Because you boomers are bankrolling it with all your media subscriptions.... and obediently taking your daily dose of propaganda.

Throw away the TV and the newspapers and start to find things out to yourself....

Not while the poor soppy boomer cabbages are still reading the Daily Mail and watching BBC 1.

The ability to separate fact from fiction unfortunately becomes less and less functional with age related cognitive decline.

Which is why older people rarely understand that TV or newspapers lie to them.

It doesn't help that passive Television watching makes even much younger people stupid.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Edgewood said:

Throw away the TV and the newspapers and start to find things out for yourself....

Not while the poor soppy boomer cabbages are still watching BBC 1 for the dancing and drama programs.

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON!  👏👏👏

18 hours ago, Edgewood said:

Not while the poor soppy boomer cabbages are still watching BBC 1 for the dancing and drama programmes.

Show me your statistics please on how many TV license payers are in which age group before you try to blame the state of the world on boomers. I'm surprised at how many are indicating their agreement since it's news to me that it's just 'boomers' and that doesn't tally with what I've seen or seem like a reasonable assumption. 

''You boomers'' ? Your youthful arrogance makes me smile ,basically you haven't got a fucking clue whats going on

We 'Boomers' were aware even before your absent father threw some sperm at your mothers womb and 9 months later you appeared

Never EVER underestimate the wisdom of age and experience

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's obvious that boomers

2 hours ago, Tinfoil Hat said:

Show me your statistics please on how many TV license payers are in which age group before you try to blame the state of the world on boomers. I'm surprised at how many are indicating their agreement since it's news to me that it's just 'boomers' and that doesn't tally with what I've seen or seem like a reasonable assumption. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2017/mar/29/a-dying-habit-why-the-average-bbc1-viewer-is-61

A dying habit: why the average BBC1 viewer is 61

Broadcasters may be desperate for younger audiences but older telly-watchers dominate – the average ITV fan is 60, 55 if they prefer Channel 4. How worried should programme-makers be?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/just-one-in-20-young-adults-watch-bbc-programmes-live-32fp9rzfb

Just one in 20 young adults watch BBC programmes live

As the corporation faces a funding freeze, new research reveals how the under-30s barely watch any of its programmes at the time they go out

Edited by Edgewood

24 minutes ago, Edgewood said:

It's obvious that boomers

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2017/mar/29/a-dying-habit-why-the-average-bbc1-viewer-is-61

A dying habit: why the average BBC1 viewer is 61

Broadcasters may be desperate for younger audiences but older telly-watchers dominate – the average ITV fan is 60, 55 if they prefer Channel 4. How worried should programme-makers be?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/just-one-in-20-young-adults-watch-bbc-programmes-live-32fp9rzfb

Just one in 20 young adults watch BBC programmes live

As the corporation faces a funding freeze, new research reveals how the under-30s barely watch any of its programmes at the time they go out

Read it again, Edgewood, taking note of their saying the numbers are estimated, and that they still reach 91% of 16 to 34 year olds - just because (they're claiming) that fewer watch live, doesn't mean they don't watch, or they watch for free (without bank-rolling them). They have to pay a licence fee to watch by any means. No mention at all of 40 yr's up to the others. It's a bag of shite. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/03/half-of-broadcast-tv-viewers-are-54-and-older-yikes/284256/

Half of Broadcast TV Viewers Are 54 and Older—Yikes

More like ... greys' anatomy. Right?

By Derek Thompson

In the last 20 years, the median age of Americans has increased from 34 to 37. The median age of broadcast TV viewers has increased from 41 to 54. Not a three-year jump, but a 13-year jump.

And therein lies the existential challenge for CBS, NBC, FOX, and ABC: How do you persuade advertisers to spend more on an audience that's so obviously graying faster than an already-graying country? You sell them on the purchasing power of senior citizens, I guess. In the 1993-94 broadcast season, Home Improvement was the most-watched show, with a median viewer of 34, Commercial Appeal reports. Today, it’s NCIS, with a median viewer who is 61.

Edited by Edgewood

Anyway, I feel unclean posting mainstream media news-sources...

I was in the original post only really referring to my own parents....but it is obvious that most people of the same age are similarly wondering what they can do about what is happening to the country, but not realising that by avidly consuming media propaganda and paying their various subscriptions and licenses they are perpetuating the very state of things which they are complaining about...... 

I doubt most people here watch TV or even own a TV. There was no need for some people to take comments about my parents as if it was aimed at them..

It wasn't,  but is is obvious that these days the BBC and the dinosaur media is only surviving because of the inability of boomers to think of life without a TV and their slavish refusal to find things out for themselves....  and instead rely on media to do the thinking for them.

Edited by Edgewood

The older generations watch BBC because they still believe it upholds the value they think it used to. The BBC actively despises them, though. Every ounce of their coverage - from news, to sport, to politics, to dramas - is pushing an agenda that hates them and wants to completely destroy that world and the mindset of the people who lived in that world.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

The older generations watch BBC because they still believe it upholds the value they think it used to. The BBC actively despises them, though. Every ounce of their coverage - from news, to sport, to politics, to dramas - is pushing an agenda that hates them and wants to completely destroy that world and the mindset of the people who lived in that world.

And they happily sit there bathing in it

My old man being a case in point..recently saw him and he asked the interminable ''Did you see''....i'm like you know i don't watch telly....Oh yeah you get your news from the internet,said in the most condscending sneering way possible (because he's a dinosaur he has only just learned to send a text after many hours of tuition by my sister) Soon he'll be off this mortal coil but the danger lies with the next generation of phillistines and Luddites who are even more 'absorbed' into the msm and programming for the braindead armed with a smartphone and a selective understanding of the world at the level of maggots and caterpillars

Pffft

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/14/2022 at 3:33 PM, Anti Facts Sir said:

It cost them 87 million to build the new Eastenders set, so 5 million would be peanuts to them, poor bastewards.😅 

• Like 1

When separating from my wife - albeit we are reconciling whilst living apart - the first thing I did was to celebrate that I would not have a television in my life. For the sake of her I let the television remain whilst we were together because she would often be alone with the kids whilst I was at work and hadn't yet learned how to enjoy her own company. 

Within days of moving into my new place I was receiving red letters from the BBC saying that there was no record of anybody living in this flat that had a TV License. I have thrown a good ten of them in the bin over the last seven months and received another one only today. On the front it says "Will you be in on the 30th June?", so it looks like there will be some sort of invasion by a bailiff or some other goon.

There is no television in my flat and I do not watch any television on any of my PCs or phone. I watched an online lawyer on YouTube speak about this and he made the observation that nobody comes around to check if you have a shotgun because there is nobody presently listed at the property with a shotgun license, so why should the BBC assume one is guilty of owning a television?

• Like 2

If somebody turns up, I should leave the door closed whilst pushing a note through the letterbox to them advising that you are now going to prosecute them for harrassment. Keep hold of their mail as evidence against them. 

And add a P.S. on the back of the note suggesting they get themselves tested after they have handled said note, as you suspect you may have the pox.

Bully boys is what they are. 

• Like 1