Minor News items - Not worth a thread of their own

SuperstarNeilC

12 hours ago, Mazthehobo said:

A lot of charities rip people off. I remember a programme years ago on channel 4 (I think) where they revealed that a big charity (oxfam if I recall) were only donating a small percentage of the donations to good causes. The rest went to ‘expenses’ and such.

All I donate now is clothes and old toys. My money stays with me.

Also saw on a program where the donated clothes were given. To traders to sell in those desperate countries.

21 hours ago, Mazthehobo said:

A lot of charities rip people off. I remember a programme years ago on channel 4 (I think) where they revealed that a big charity (oxfam if I recall) were only donating a small percentage of the donations to good causes. The rest went to ‘expenses’ and such.

All I donate now is clothes and old toys. My money stays with me.

9 hours ago, Bombadil said:

Also saw on a program where the donated clothes were given. To traders to sell in those desperate countries.

Very little of the money 'donated' to any of the 'big charities' actually goes towards the causes they are supposed to represent.

I remember a few years ago reading about one (or both) of the BBC's "Comic Relief" or "Children In Need" charities.

Donations from the public were being used by the charity to 'invest' in hedge funds, which were found to be being used to finance arms and tobacco manufacturers. 🤨

There was a little bit of outrage at the time, but it was swept under the carpet and by the following year people were still "giving what they can" to these charities.

"Big charities" that employ chief executives and other managers on huge salaries are just scamming the public, fleecing them of money which is then laundered tax-free via other associated organisations providing 'services' to these charities, whose owners and shareholders benefit themselves in kind.

Then of course you have those charity shops, those that enjoy discounted business rates and rent while the rest of your High Street turns into takeaways, Turkish barbers and dodgy 'convenience stores' and vape shops. The stock held within charity shops has zero purchase cost, as it is 'donated' to them for free, and as most staff work as volunteers, there's also no labour cost involved.

People shop at charity shops because they are 'cheap', and to be fair one can sometimes grab a good 'bargain' if you're prepared to hunt for one. But at the end of the day, most of the stock is 'second-hand tat' being sold at a decent mark-up.

It's surely no wonder that genuine independent small businesses feel at a disadvantage on our High Streets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 6:32 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

Very little of the money 'donated' to any of the 'big charities' actually goes towards the causes they are supposed to represent. I remember a few years ago reading about one (or both) of the BBC's "Comic Relief" or "Children In Need" charities.

Yes, some charities like to keep an awful lot of financial stock, as well as donated goods in their shops. 🙂 I have seen one national charity, involved with a certain health condition, change before my eyes over the past 20 years or so. Now, totally in bed with Big Pharma and I just know that a cure will never be found. Well, not in the U.K. anyway. It's just one new symptom-controlling drug after another that I ever really get to hear about nowadays. This makes me feel very sad for any youngsters being diagnosed today. Any hope they have for being cured is false hope. There is the odd story about some grant being given to this or that scientist to investigate the root causes, but if any of them are genuine and they ever get anywhere, then they will probably be found floating down a river one day.  

Edited by numnuts
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 3:28 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

But it ends up being a distraction and diversion, as no doubt there are numerous other so-called 'charities' operating successfully under the radar, ripping people off in the process.

Indeed. Who would donate to a charity whose CEO makes £1,000,000 plus a year? Damned if I would.

18 minutes ago, numnuts said:

Yes, some charities like to keep an awful lot of financial stock, as well as donated goods in their shops. 🙂 I have seen one national charity, involved with a certain health condition, change before my eyes over the past 20 years or so. Now, totally in bed with Big Pharma and I just know that a cure will never be found. Well, not in the U.K. anyway. It's just one new symptom-controlling drug after another that I ever really get to hear about nowadays. This makes me feel very sad for any youngsters being diagnosed today. Any hope they have being cured is false hope. There is the odd story about some grant being given to this or that scientist to investigate the root causes, but if any of them are genuine and they ever get anywhere, then they will probably be found floating down a river one day.  

A good few years ago now, a family member started working at a charity shop as a volunteer. They were unemployed at the time, and thought it would be a good way to gain some 'retail experience', as well as helping out what they thought was a 'good cause'. They were at the shop pretty much full-time, working most days a week, and having to pay for their own bus fare to get there and back every day. One of the 'perks' of the job was that the staff got 'first dibs' on the donated stock, so they could take anything they liked as it was sorted before it went out onto the shop floor for sale. Still had to pay for it though, mind, even if it was just a 'few quid'.

This family member soon got fed up though, as their manager - who was paid full-time for their role - did hardly any work in the shop, leaving the volunteers pretty much to run the place, and was then found to be helping themselves to any 'good stuff' that was being donated, without paying for it.

They soon realised what a piss-take it was - doing nearly a full days work without being paid or remunerated.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nemuri Kyoshiro said:

Boeing might as well go full-on and employ kamikaze pilots. Another United Airlines 757 lost a wheel on takeoff from Los Angeles. Are they doing this on purpose?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jul/09/united-airlines-flight-la-loses-wheel-take-off

Along with the random doors falling off midair, the spate of turbulence free falls, the wheels falling off and the airport staff constantly being on strike, it’s probably a ploy to shatter consumer confidence. 

3 hours ago, Mazthehobo said:

Along with the random doors falling off midair, the spate of turbulence free falls, the wheels falling off and the airport staff constantly being on strike, it’s probably a ploy to shatter consumer confidence. 

Don't forget the queues to get through security, which mean you might miss your flight even if you arrive two hours early!

7 hours ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

Trying to scare and price us out of flying.

British Airways owner IAG warns airfares must rise to fund carbon cuts

https://www.ft.com/content/b3920349-3e7f-402f-97a2-4d39bc29038f

https://archive.is/nefCn

It used to be dirt cheap to just turn up at an airport and grab a last minute flight. I found out this week, from somebody who'd done just that, it's anything but cheap and actually far more expensive to do than to book months in advance.

You used to pay through the nose for advanced assurance of a timed flight but are now heavily punished for chancing your arm with minutes to go before take off.

They'd rather lose money on an empty seat than give people an easy option of 'escaping' for any reason.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2024 at 8:16 PM, Nemuri Kyoshiro said:

Indeed. Who would donate to a charity whose CEO makes £1,000,000 plus a year? Damned if I would.

And yet people keep on giving to "charities" like Shelter who do nothing but lobby the government and give out leaflets with the same info that you could get from the Council or Citizens Advice. They have never, ever helped anyone get a home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k_j_evans said:

And yet people keep on giving to "charities" like Shelter who do nothing but lobby the government and give out leaflets with the same info that you could get from the Council or Citizens Advice. They have never, ever helped anyone get a home.

Wouldn't surprise me if it came out in some truth video that Shelter are an arm of govt or at least funded by them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1velocity7 said:

they gonna ban crossbows

Watched all of that, thanks 1velocity7. 

Interesting to see Sue Sims who headed up the hunt for Raoul Moat, and has had much media attention since that time in 2010. Your clip even mentions Gazza at the end. 

Remember that?! It all seemed like such a big cover up, but anyway … 

Today’s news made me feel immediate sympathy for the family, however the news itself is just full to bursting with the usual ‘repetitive’ words … and there are more questions than answers. And as usual none of the ‘folks’ asked to comment appear to have a mind of their own?! 

This is just one link that mentions Sue Sims and a sky podcast

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/storycast-21-nobody-knew-what-raoul-moat-would-do-next-the-police-chief-who-led-the-uks-most-notorious-manhunt-12296685

13 minutes ago, Observations said:

Watched all of that, thanks 1velocity7. 

Interesting to see Sue Sims who headed up the hunt for Raoul Moat, and has had much media attention since that time in 2010. Your clip even mentions Gazza at the end. 

Remember that?! It all seemed like such a big cover up, but anyway … 

Today’s news made me feel immediate sympathy for the family, however the news itself is just full to bursting with the usual ‘repetitive’ words … and there are more questions than answers. And as usual none of the ‘folks’ asked to comment appear to have a mind of their own?! 

This is just one link that mentions Sue Sims and a sky podcast

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/storycast-21-nobody-knew-what-raoul-moat-would-do-next-the-police-chief-who-led-the-uks-most-notorious-manhunt-12296685

Funny, I only mentioned Raoul Moat on here a few days ago.

Lots of strange ‘cases’ going on at the minute. 
Missing TV doctors. Missing young folk on holiday. Murders. 

• Thanks 1

State pensioners could be forced to 'give up' pensions if it becomes means-tested

The new Labour Party government is debating means testing the state pension, so that retirees could get a lower sum from the Department for Work and Pensions ( DWP ).

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/state-pensioners-could-forced-give-29501504

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Nemuri Kyoshiro said:

How's this for a headline right out of Orwell's newsspeak?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/jul/12/thousands-prisoners-released-early-avoid-total-breakdown-law-order

Letting a bunch of cons out is going t stop the breakdown of law and order? Pull the other one.

At least they can concentrate on the real menaces - release a few harmless rapists and murderers to make space for real villains eg people making allegedly racist comments on Twatter or DARPALifeLog. 

• Like 1

This crossbow thing - I avoid the Nooz channels as much as humanly possible so I am not familiar with the "facts" - but is it not kind of strange that the family of a racing pundit/commentator should have been targeted? Is this connected to bookmakers or horse owners do we think?

Or is this just a completely random "tragedy".