Minor News items - Not worth a thread of their own

SuperstarNeilC

1 hour ago, Velma said:

How about a compulsory purchase order to house all the immigrants sleeping on Dublin's streets? It has 775 rooms!

My very dated edition of Trivial Pursuit has a question that roughly asks 'How many rooms...?'. I can't be arsed to dig it out and check, but I am 99% sure that the answer provided is just over 600 rooms. So, if Trivial Pursuit isn't wrong, then that must be some extension they had built!

On 3/2/2024 at 6:56 AM, wideawake said:

... and since this puke is dead, another one surfaced to carry the torch. It is also a gay and pedo club I might add...

yuval noah harari is a much closer representation of the true power behind the world economic forum: a transhumanist israeli

they can't put a rockefeller or a rothschild out there as the head of the wef as that would be too obvious so they use a shabbos goy front man: klaus schwab

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

" Whatever the chancellor does on Wesnesday the tax burden is historically high. It's pretty much impossible to impossible to imagine that he can do anything to prevent households from paying more tax than in 2019, and that may come with a political price. "

Hannah Miller, BBC News 

On 3/2/2024 at 8:47 AM, Velma said:

The word democracy comes from the Greek words "demos", meaning people, and "kratos" meaning power; so democracy can be thought of as "power of the people": a way of governing which depends on the will of the people. However, Ezra Pound said, “Democracy is now currently defined in Europe as a 'country run by Jews.”

Rishi Sunak claims that our democracy is being undermined, which it is, by him, because the will of the people, which has been demonstrated peacefully at pro-Palestine marches, demanding a ceasefire in Gaza, is being defied by our government and conflated with ‘antisemitism.’ He says we can criticise any state, (except Israel.)

He laments the election of George Galloway in Rochdale and resorted to smearing his reputation, by painting him as a “terrorist” sympathiser., although George won with a democratic majority. Sunak says democracy is under threat, but he is the one who is outlawing the right to protest, because it exposes how undemocratic our parliament is.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2024/mar/01/extremists-trying-to-tear-us-apart-says-rishi-sunak-in-impromptu-speech-video

Unelected PM Sunak thinks a democratic election is undemocratic.. who could make it up. Of course, the threat he sees is to financial 'democracy', the rule of money and media. Parliament has just been a facade ever since just after the (In)glorious Revolution..the year 1694 to be exact. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pete675 said:

Unelected PM Sunak thinks a democratic election is undemocratic.. who could make it up. Of course, the threat he sees is to financial 'democracy', the rule of money and media. Parliament has just been a facade ever since just after the (In)glorious Revolution..the year 1694 to be exact. 

Er, don't you mean 1688? or not the "glorious" revolution? Perhaps you were thinking of the bank of england act.

It is of course absolutely hilarious to hear Rishi Sunak complaining about a democratic election and making claims about 'threat to democracy' or whatever.

I know that the electorate don't actually vote for a Prime Minister, but still, he has not been the Conservative party leader when the public have been asked to go to the polls at a general election.

And let us not forget that he was never actually 'democratically' elected leader of the Conservatives by the party membership.

https://thegrumpyowl.co.uk/2022/10/29/rishi-rich-and-the-election-deception-how-long-does-he-have-as-pm/

The man was basically 'appointed' by the Tory MPs without the party membership getting a say. The party membership had of course previously voted for Liz Truss to become their leader.

That speaks volumes for the gulf between a party's grass-roots members and it's 'elite' top-hierarchy.

• Thanks 2

what a mysogenist, patriarchal asshole.....

Robo cop-a-feel: Cheeky AI robot touches shocked woman's bottom at Saudi artificial intelligence event

By Taryn Pedler

Published: 07:44 EST, 8 March 2024 | Updated: 09:28 EST, 8 March 2024

A cheeky male AI robot was caught touching a woman on the bottom in front of an audience while she reported from an artificial intelligence event.

In hilarious fotage, reporter Rawya Kassem can be seen standing on a panel in front of an android named Muhammad in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

The reporter, donning a blue suit and carrying a microphone, speaks directly to the camera as the realistic robot stood behind her in his red keffiyeh and long gown.

This is almost funny. First we have...

Driving age could be made lower because '13 year olds can be trusted'

The UK driving age limit could be slashed to just 13 as a petition for younger licence holders gains support. The petition will run until April 2, 2024, and, if it gets more than 10,000 signatures, will receive a response from the government.

Yusuf Marcu, who created the petition, said on the Parliamentary website: "I would like the government to change the legal driving age to 13 because I believe that 13+ year olds can be trusted to drive a car and should be able to get a licence."

A similar move was made in December last year which called for the driving age limit to be moved to 15 instead of 17. The petition received over 95,000 signatures during its six-month term and due to its popularity, the government issued a response.

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/driving-age-could-made-lower-28782178

(Quite why this is categorised under 'Cost Of Living' beats me!)

After what I saw earlier today, I don't trust many grown adults behind the wheel of a car, let alone children!

And then this nicely segues into the following:

Police stop BMW towing 'stolen' caravan to find driver is 11 years old

A police sergeant has expressed his shock after finding out the driver of a car allegedly towing a stolen caravan was just a child. Paul Cording has worked in the force for more than 23 years.

But finding an 11-year-old in the driver's seat of a car was something he 'struggled to comprehend.' He shared an image of the car and caravan on X, formerly Twitter, alongside details of what happened.

Sgt Cording, who is based in Harrogate, said that team members identified a caravan as recently stolen and noted that it was being towed by a vehicle on false plates. The car was stopped to reveal an 11-year-old driver behind the wheel.

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-stop-bmw-towing-stolen-28782789

Is it just me or are there moves being made to 'legalise' or 'decriminalise' things that many people do (which they shouldn't be doing), just to save the police a load of work? (And give them more time to focus on really important crimes such as misgendering or expressing contrary opinions on social media!)

Edited by Grumpy Owl

7 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

This is almost funny. First we have...

Driving age could be made lower because '13 year olds can be trusted'

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/driving-age-could-made-lower-28782178

(Quite why this is categorised under 'Cost Of Living' beats me!)

After what I saw earlier today, I don't trust many grown adults behind the wheel of a car, let alone children!

And then this nicely segues into the following:

Police stop BMW towing 'stolen' caravan to find driver is 11 years old

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-stop-bmw-towing-stolen-28782789

Is it just me or are there moves being made to 'legalise' or 'decriminalise' things that many people do (which they shouldn't be doing), just to save the police a load of work? (And give them more time to focus on really important crimes such as misgendering or expressing contrary opinions on social media!)

Contradicting themselves as usual then as a few years ago on a Speed Awareness course we were told to be very careful of young pedestrians crossing the road as their brains aren’t fully formed/engaged until they are at least 25 years old. I wanted to ask why are they allowed to drive at 17 but couldn’t do so as we’d been warned at the start that disruptive behaviour (ie questioning their claims) would result in being thrown off the course with no refund and points on your license. 

16 minutes ago, HeartSpirit said:

Contradicting themselves as usual then as a few years ago on a Speed Awareness course we were told to be very careful of young pedestrians crossing the road as their brains aren’t fully formed/engaged until they are at least 25 years old. I wanted to ask why are they allowed to drive at 17 but couldn’t do so as we’d been warned at the start that disruptive behaviour (ie questioning their claims) would result in being thrown off the course with no refund and points on your license. 

In this case, it is some individual who has started this petition on the GOV.UK website, but it beats me why so many people are supporting this (who exactly?).

It could be argued that thanks to social media and smartphones, as well as the general dumbing down of education, that many youngsters' brains never fully form at all.

If 11-13 year-olds are learning driving skills from playing Grand Theft Auto or watching The Fast And The Furious, then god help us all.

It's bad enough out there with grown adults racing around in their Audis and Seats thinking they are Lewis Hamilton.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Grumpy Grapes said:

Get 'em when they're young. Meanwhile, wipe out the over-75s who can bring some much needed experience, perspective and Internet-free memories. 

The lauding of Greta Thunberg is a sign of things to come. 

If the insurance premiums for 17 year olds is anything to go by, the insurance companies must be rubbing their hands at the prospect of 13 y/o drivers. Plus if the overall risks of driving are increased for everyone else they've got an excuse to increase our costs too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Campion said:

If the insurance premiums for 17 year olds is anything to go by, the insurance companies must be rubbing their hands at the prospect of 13 y/o drivers. Plus if the overall risks of driving are increased for everyone else they've got an excuse to increase our costs too. 

Good point. Also it has just occurred to me, how will a typical 13 year old be able to afford to buy a car?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Good point. Also it has just occurred to me, how will a typical 13 year old be able to afford to buy a car?

This is the U.K in 2024 don't forget. Probably by stealing or dealing.

18 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Mum & Dad wanting to have some free time back again 😀 

5 hours ago, Velma said:

The new definition of extremism, which includes anti-democratic “core behaviours” is anti-democratic, since democracy grants the inalienable right to to justice, freedom of expression and opinion, peaceful assembly and freedom of association.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/09/revealed-legal-fears-over-michael-gove-definition-extremism

I guess we will all be on the list then!

• Like 1