Minor News items - Not worth a thread of their own

SuperstarNeilC

On 10/23/2023 at 1:37 PM, bamboozooka said:

channel 4 done a documentory of amazon. same time every year someone goes undercover. bad amazon

Its still available, in fact it was a recommended video, I just watched some of it. The piss bottles where funny, especially when he smelt one.

1 hour ago, Moonlight said:

Chandler Bing has died 😮

In a bathtub drowning 😳 there is a thread about that regarding Aaron Carter.

https://forum.davidicke.com/index.php?/topic/29589-aaron-carter-found-dead-in-bathtub-was-pressured-by-fbi-to-frame-michael-jackson/#comment-459659

I was just looking for perrys recent interviews, but most of them 12 months ago were just promoting his new book about addiction to sleeping pills and alcohol. 

Edited by Malbec
Add link
  • Like 1

Tragedy as American ice hockey star Adam Johnson dies aged 29 'after skate slashed his throat in freak accident during match': Devastated mother reveals 'I've lost half of my heart' as club pays tribute

• Adam Johnson is believed to have taken a blade to the neck during the match 

By IWAN STONE and KATHERINE LAWTON and TOM COTTERILL

PUBLISHED: 07:55, 29 October 2023 | UPDATED: 10:03, 29 October 2023

An ice hockey star who is believed to have taken a blade to his throat in a horrific injury during a game has died aged 29, his family have said.

Adam Johnson's injury was so horrific it forced the game to be abandoned and left traumatised fans in tears. 

The American athlete is believed to have been stuck in the neck by an ice hockey blade in a freak accident at the match between Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers at Utilita Arena Sheffield this evening. 

His mother Kari took to social media to share her heartbreak this morning - telling friends: 'I lost half of my heart today.'

And his club said they were 'truly devastated' by the news - paying tribute to 'a great teammate and an incredible person with his whole life ahead of him'.

The Elite Ice Hockey League said they were 'heartbroken' to confirm the 'deeply upsetting' news - and have postponed all games scheduled to take place today. 

Adam Johnson (pictured) suffered an horrific injury during a nightmare tackle that left spectators horrified

Adam Johnson (pictured) suffered an horrific injury during a nightmare tackle that left spectators horrified

The incident happened at Utilita Arena Sheffield (pictured) and is believed to have been witnessed by around 8,000 fans

The incident happened at Utilita Arena Sheffield (pictured) and is believed to have been witnessed by around 8,000 fans

His club said they were 'truly devastated' by the news - paying tribute to 'a great teammate and an incredible person with his whole life ahead of him'

His club said they were 'truly devastated' by the news - paying tribute to 'a great teammate and an incredible person with his whole life ahead of him'

Adam Johnson (pictured) is believed to have taken an ice hockey blade to the neck during the match between Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers

Adam Johnson (pictured) is believed to have taken an ice hockey blade to the neck during the match between Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers.

www.Dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12685037/American-ice-hockey-Adam-Johnson-diesthroat-slashed-skate-UK-mother.html

This was posted in the offGuardian today.

It’s what they call an “influencer factory”, a bunch of young women set up in a warehouse to post entirely fake social media content to entirely fake social media accounts. All designed to sell makeup, clothes or food. Or, worse, to drip feed hope to poor people who aspire to a more affluent lifestyle.

That’s bleak, but it gets bleaker.

Think about it: If things like this exist to sell mascara and lingerie in Indonesia, imagine what kind of factories exist to sell agendas, or ideas, to the world. And imagine how many of the people working in them you’ve wasted your time arguing with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Freaky Dragonfly said:

It’s what they call an “influencer factory”, a bunch of young women set up in a warehouse to post entirely fake social media content to entirely fake social media accounts. All designed to sell makeup, clothes or food. Or, worse, to drip feed hope to poor people who aspire to a more affluent lifestyle.

That’s bleak, but it gets bleaker.

Think about it: If things like this exist to sell mascara and lingerie in Indonesia, imagine what kind of factories exist to sell agendas, or ideas, to the world. And imagine how many of the people working in them you’ve wasted your time arguing with.

Social media such as Facebook, Instagram, TikTok etc are just advertising platforms.

I was told today that Youtube are now displaying warnings to people who use adblockers saying they 'violate their terms of service'.

But yes, it's not just advertising from big corporations, there is also advertising of 'agendas', social engineering and propaganda from governments, as well as the 'paid influencers', and I've said before how that term 'influencer' always gives me a cold chill.

The 'big' social media networks such as Facebook, Twitter and Youtube have always been 'free' for its users, on the proviso that your engagement and interactions are used to 'deliver personalised and tailored advertising'.

Of course, if you don't want your activity to be used to target ads, or don't want to see ads at all, then they are moving towards a 'paid subscription' model.

Facebook issues £104-a-year message to anybody who has an account in Europe

Facebook and Instagram are letting users in the EU pay to stop seeing adverts on the social media platforms, owner Meta has announced. The tech giant, run by Mark Zuckerberg, is rolling out the subscription option for people in the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland from November.

The subscription will cost 9.99 euros (£8.73) per month - or £104 a year - on the web or 12.99 euros (£11.35) per month on iOS and Android, Meta said. "We believe in an ad-supported internet, which gives people access to personalised products and services regardless of their economic status," the company said.

"It also allows small businesses to reach potential customers, grow their business and create new markets, driving growth in the European economy. But we respect the spirit and purpose of these evolving European regulations, and are committed to complying with them."

While people are subscribed, their information will not be used for ads, Meta went on. "The subscription for no ads will be available for people aged 18 and up, and we're continuing to explore how to provide teens with a useful and responsible ad experience given this evolving regulatory landscape," Meta said.

If you choose to continue to use our products for free, your experience will stay the same. "Advertisers will be able to continue running personalised advertising campaigns in Europe to reach those who choose to continue to receive a free, ad-supported online service. Going forward, we will continue to invest to build new tools that preserve the value that both people and businesses get out of personalised advertising, while allowing users to control their ads experience on our platforms," it added.

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/facebook-issues-104-year-message-28012310

They're basically admitting that their platform is all about 'personalised advertising'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think it's inevitable that the entire Internet will shortly be inaccessible to both those that refuse to pay (on top of visiting the likes of Facebook) and those who have any belief that is not acceptable. 

This would probably coincide with the digital passport. Increasingly, everything is and will be contained within a single chip local to each person. Firstly, in a passport and lastly in each human. 

13 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Italy... What a mystery. But there where births, of course, its just that statistically, there was no population growth for three months.

Screenshot_20231101-182647_kindlephoto-1600385026.png.fd4c17cc73e2de261f9c90e17315f09f.png

Yes, misleading headline for a behind a paywall article. The fact remains - decline. Everywhere in Europe. 

On 11/1/2023 at 5:21 PM, Nemo said:

Social Media Influencers are just online Salesmen...

Selling a product, or a message.

At work the other day we had a visit from some representatives from TikTok who were trying to get us to sign up and sell on TikTok Shop.

It was quite eye-opening and I really got an understanding of the purpose of TikTok now.

Sellers are encouraged to 'reach out' to TikTok users, in particular those 'content creators' who will produce videos that advertise your products for sale, then those 'creators' earn a share of your sales. Logically the more followers a content creator has, then the better chance of your product selling in volume.

The same thing already happens on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

I've also seen ads and 'sponsored posts' encouraging businesses to advertise on Reddit and Pinterest.

As I said already, all these big social media networks have now morphed into advertising platforms.

Whatever one thinks about social media, influencers, youtubers etc. I have nothing against someone working with a talent and/or skill and making money.

Despite the often superficial nature of social media, I can respect ones ability to make money from something.

Government officials have drawn up proposals to broaden the definition of extremism to include anyone who “undermines” the country’s institutions and its values.

The proposals have provoked a furious response from civil rights groups with some warning it risks “criminalising dissent”, and would significantly suppress freedom of expression.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/04/plans-to-redefine-extremism-would-include-undermining-uk-values

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, Velma said:

Government officials have drawn up proposals to broaden the definition of extremism to include anyone who “undermines” the country’s institutions and its values.

The proposals have provoked a furious response from civil rights groups with some warning it risks “criminalising dissent”, and would significantly suppress freedom of expression.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/04/plans-to-redefine-extremism-would-include-undermining-uk-values

Guess that means anything they like, when they like then. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2023 at 9:57 AM, Velma said:

In reality, the two prime offenders guilty of the aforesaid undermining would be the Conservative party which has sold off the economy to the highest bidder and the Bliar-Stammer Labour party that is now virtually identical to the Cons. 

Their alleged economic 'success' has in fact been a succession of gigantic failures. Or may be it's a mark of success that 1 in 10 of the street homeless are educated to degree level? 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 10:19 AM, Mr H said:

i wonder if they will cut some sort of deal with bankman fried....

the whole thing was a giant money laundering racket. The biden regime would send the US taxpayers money in the form of 'aid' to ukraine who would then give the money to FTX who then acted as the second biggest donor to the democrat party as they simply handed the money over to the dems

i wouldn't be surprised if we see some deal cut that sees bankman fried outta jail after a short sentence

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Macnamara said:

i wonder if they will cut some sort of deal with bankman fried....

the whole thing was a giant money laundering racket. The biden regime would send the US taxpayers money in the form of 'aid' to ukraine who would then give the money to FTX who then acted as the second biggest donor to the democrat party as they simply handed the money over to the dems

i wouldn't be surprised if we see some deal cut that sees bankman fried outta jail after a short sentence

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets Epsteined in jail!