Minor News items - Not worth a thread of their own

SuperstarNeilC

8 hours ago, alexa said:

To me this is pure cutural vandalism. If you look on google maps, the location is nothing special. It is next a land fill and an industrial estate with lots of grey field site. I can't see any reason why a developer would be so enthusiastic about buying that pub only to demolish it apart from them hating the pub. 

I have been trying to find out who the new owners are but not being able to find a name yet.

• Like 1

The Guardian has learned that the new buyer was a property firm called ATE Farms Ltd, owned by Carly Taylor, 34, a director of multiple companies.

ATE Farms is registered to the same address as Himley Environmental Ltd, which runs the 15-hectare (37-acre) quarry and landfill site next to the pub. The Guardian was unable to reach ATE Farms for comment.

A spokesperson for the brewery Marston’s, which previously owned the pub and put it up for sale in January, said the sale was completed on 27 July.

15 minutes ago, Observations said:

The Guardian has learned that the new buyer was a property firm called ATE Farms Ltd, owned by Carly Taylor, 34, a director of multiple companies.

ATE Farms is registered to the same address as Himley Environmental Ltd, which runs the 15-hectare (37-acre) quarry and landfill site next to the pub. The Guardian was unable to reach ATE Farms for comment.

A spokesperson for the brewery Marston’s, which previously owned the pub and put it up for sale in January, said the sale was completed on 27 July.

There's the link, then. Obviously looking to do something with the whole area.

5 hours ago, SimonTV said:

To me this is pure cutural vandalism. If you look on google maps, the location is nothing special. It is next a land fill and an industrial estate with lots of grey field site. I can't see any reason why a developer would be so enthusiastic about buying that pub only to demolish it apart from them hating the pub. 

I have been trying to find out who the new owners are but not being able to find a name yet.

I was wondering if this pub may have been from the Tartarian era that suffered the mud flood & this is why they wanted the pub demolished. It would have been the last piece of evidence we have.

They Say the Tilt was Due to Mining Subsidance.

The Crooked House was built in 1765 and was originally a farmhouse.

During the early 19th century, mining in the area caused one side of the building to begin gradually sinking.
It later in 1830 became a public house called the Siden House, siden meaning "crooked" in the local Black Country dialect.
The building was later renamed the Glynne Arms after the local landowner, Sir Stephen Glynne, on whose land it stood.

The building was condemned as unsafe in the 1940s and was scheduled for demolition. Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries purchased the pub and rescued it by making the structure safe using buttresses and girders to retain its lopsided appearance.

Another interesting fact is that if a ball was placed on a downward slanting surface the ball would go upwards.

8 hours ago, Observations said:

that makes sense, they want to expand the landfill site without opposition.

• Like 1

I wish the media would stop using the phrase 'wonkiest pub' - I never heard the Crooked House ever referred to like this, not until about a week or so ago.

But still...

Crooked House: Fire at 'wonkiest' pub treated as arson - police

A fire which ripped through a landmark pub days before it was unexpectedly demolished is being treated as arson, police say.

The Crooked House, near Dudley in the Black Country, caught fire on Saturday night and was then bulldozed on Monday, prompting anger from local residents.

The pub, once Britain's "wonkiest", was sold by Marston's last month.

Staffordshire Police said on Wednesday investigations were continuing but the blaze was being treated as suspicious.

In a statement the force said: "Our investigation into a fire at the Crooked House on Himley Road last Saturday continues as we try to understand the circumstances, which we are now treating as arson."

South Staffordshire Council said it had not agreed to the total destruction of the site and was investigating whether the demolition of the 18th Century building was unlawful.

It said it had permitted only part of the building to be demolished for safety reasons and the matter had been referred to its legal team with a view to taking enforcement action.

The BBC has attempted to contact the new owners ATE Farms.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, alexa said:

I was wondering if this pub may have been from the Tartarian era that suffered the mud flood & this is why they wanted the pub demolished. It would have been the last piece of evidence we have.

They Say the Tilt was Due to Mining Subsidance.

The Crooked House was built in 1765 and was originally a farmhouse.

No, nothing like that. It is common knowledge that there are extensive mine workings around that part of Dudley. I don't think it was ever proven, but it was believed that a collapsed former mine was the cause of the infamous "Great Dudley Earthquake" of 2002, the epicentre of which was Brick Kiln Lane, just across from where the Crooked House once stood.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Owl said:

No, nothing like that. It is common knowledge that there are extensive mine workings around that part of Dudley. I don't think it was ever proven, but it was believed that a collapsed former mine was the cause of the infamous "Great Dudley Earthquake" of 2002, the epicentre of which was Brick Kiln Lane, just across from where the Crooked House once stood.

I was doing some work for First Milk or whatever they were called then, not far away and heard/felt the earthquake from the hotel/pub I was staying in - thought a waggon had run into the wall as it was in that sort of location.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 8:03 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

Etsy U-turn in row over withholding sellers' money

Parasites. Leeches.

It's worth pointing out that online marketplaces such as Etsy and eBay don't actually 'produce' any items offered for sale themselves. They just provide the 'platform', through which buyers then find and buy items offered for sale from various sellers.

(Amazon is slightly different, as it does retail products itself, as well as sells its own brand products, but does also allow third-party sellers to trade as well)

On a slightly different note, but still related, the likes of AirBNB are almost the same, they don't own or maintain any properties themselves, they just provide a platform for hosts to take bookings.

The marketplaces charge sellers monthly subscription fees, as well as taking a percentage of any sale as 'commission'.

eBay ditched Paypal as its preferred payment processor a few years ago now, and manages payments and refunds itself. Buyers no longer pay the seller directly - you give your money to eBay/Etsy/Onbuy etc, and then they pay what is owed to the seller, less commission/fees etc.

Somebody must have worked out that if you have millions of buyers making millions of purchases every day, even if you only 'bank' that money for a couple of days, it must be collecting some interest somewhere.

No wonder hedge-funds are such big 'investors' in these platforms.

I can understand these platforms 'holding' onto monies for a few days before releasing the funds to its sellers, but to freeze payouts for up to 45 days is a bit ridiculous.

Now Amazon are at it...

Amazon asked by minister to justify temporarily withholding sellers' funds

The government has demanded answers from Amazon after its recent policy change led to hundreds of sellers unable to access their money.

In a letter seen by the BBC, small business minister Kevin Hollinrake asks the tech giant to explain how it will "mitigate" the impact on sellers.

One seller, Daniel Moore, who sells ink cartridges, says he has £263,000 locked and cannot pay his VAT bill.

Amazon said the policy change had affected a small number of sellers.

The letter from Mr Hollinrake was sent after the BBC spoke to several businesses who say the recent policy change leaves them unable to restock or pay staff and bills.

Amazon's recently amended policy is to hold back some money from sellers in case buyers demand a refund.

That leads to sellers not having access to their takings for around two weeks.

It's always been the case that Amazon takes a couple of days to 'payout' monies to seller, and only once dispatch has been confirmed. Any requested refunds are deducted from the seller's balance first, and if these are insufficient then Amazon charges the seller's credit/debit card.

There's simply no need to hold on to sellers' funds for any longer than a week.

Unless Amazon are trying to squeeze smaller businesses off their platform. Which they have form for doing.

If you're an online seller, don't rely on these marketplaces. Set up your own website, and encourage your Amazon, eBay or Etsy buyers to buy from your website next time.

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2023 at 7:27 AM, bamboozooka said:

lez cop arrests autistic teen girl who called her a lez.

if you get offended stop looking like a lez

bloody stereotypes

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/seven-officers-drag-autistic-girl-hate-crime-female-lesbian-nana/

And if there is nothing wrong with being gay and everyone is supposed to be on board with the rainbow agenda, surely it is a hate crime to be upset when identified - rightly or wrongly - as gay?!

bloody stereotypes

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/seven-officers-drag-autistic-girl-hate-crime-female-lesbian-nana/

NEWSFLASH: gardening utensil on sale in Homebase takes offence at being called a spade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Local journalism reaches new low...

I visited Wilko store after huge administration sale launched and left feeling confused

In my town centre, Wilko is one of the last remaining big-name retailers and always seems one of the busier shops. And in the cost-of-living crisis, it has become a go-to store for many for cheaper household essentials.

The brand's 400 stores are at risk of closure as the race to save the chain continues after it fell into administration last week. The budget retailer is continuing to trade from all its stores “without any immediate redundancies”, administrators have said.

As I walked to the store, I couldn't see any glaring signs to advertise the administration. And then I spotted the empty signage outside, and a tiny black and white flyer.

More and more signage followed inside the store - but to me it looked surprisingly busy, with lots of people in store. But I must admit, I didn't see that many sale items.

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/visited-wilko-store-after-huge-27518619

Honestly this reads more like a Mumsnet blog article than a 'news' story. And if she can be 'confused' by all this, well it tells you all you need to know about the calibre of journalists being recruited by Reach. (Or maybe its all about dumbing down the audience...)

I saw some plates and bowls 'reduced to clear' for as little as £1.20 and a few reduced storage baskets, but that was it. Had the administration sale not hit my local store yet?

The same could be for household essentials. While there was big yellow signage showing price points - to me, who visits Wilko fairly regularly, it felt just like their normal discounted prices.

It was then that I spotted a Halloween section. If this store was on the way to closing would they be stocking for a date more than two months away?

Creepy decorations, light-up pumpkins, party accessories and games. Wilko was stocked up for the spooky season, so I was even more confused.

It's exactly as it says on the tin, its an 'administration sale'.

This is all about clearing out stock, and turning it into cash, so that bills and creditors can be paid, in an effort to make the business a 'going concern'.

Not everything will be heavily reduced in price, and there will of course be the usual psychological trick of making shoppers think they are getting a bargain when they aren't.

Yeah, maybe its a bit early for the Halloween season, but if you got loads of Halloween-related stock sitting around doing nothing, then may as well offer it for sale and see what you can get for it.

I was confused why Wilko wasn't surviving - here in my local store it seemed like the busiest store in the town centre as I walked back to my car. And in recent weeks when I had visited to stock up on the likes of household essentials such as laundry tablets, washing up liquid and anti-bac cleaning spray, it had seemed busy then.

"Seeming busy" is not quite the same as actually being 'busy'.

I've been to a few local Wilko stores in recent weeks, mainly on Saturday or Sundays, and I found them to be surprisingly dead, hardly any shoppers.

Which makes for a pleasant shopping experience, until you're forced to use their self-checkouts.

I wonder why so many people now prefer to do their discount shopping at B&M or Home Bargains instead?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2023 at 7:51 PM, Anti Facts Sir said:

NEWSFLASH: gardening utensil on sale in Homebase takes offence at being called a spade.

Old school blackboards are to be awarded thousands of pounds for the historic abuse they received from white sticks of chalk in the forties, fifties, sixties and seventies secondary modern schools whilst teachers turned a blind eye! A government minister visited an old blackboard retirement home and found some of the residents in pieces due to their mistreatment and downright abuse in their school career!

broken-blackboard-672x372.jpg.a3aa99e0ff2160885706e1b09c749827.jpg

Meanwhile people forget the abuse that some chalks got that left them broken and unable to face the world!chalk-toolbox.jpg.0ce9c1c09b5a51b44a82b1962942ef25.jpg

Edited by Mr Crabtree
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Mr Crabtree said:

Old school blackboards are to be awarded thousands of pounds for the historic abuse they received from white sticks of chalk in the forties, fifties, sixties and seventies secondary modern schools whilst teachers turned a blind eye! A government minister visited an old blackboard retirement home and found some of the residents in pieces due to their mistreatment and downright abuse in their school career!

Meanwhile people forget the abuse that some chalks got that left them broken and unable to face the world!chalk-toolbox.jpg.0ce9c1c09b5a51b44a82b1962942ef25.jpg

Not to mention the lies they had chalked on to them.😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, alexa said:

Not to mention the lies they had chalked on to them.😜

We had a teacher that was so tormented by his experience that he sometimes flung his blackboard rubbing out thing across the room which was bit disconcerting! Or any inanimate object which I suppose was a physics and psychology lesson in a french lesson by an Italian teacher .( Secret was to not say anything and leave as soon as possible!)

So I suppose all cultures have individuals affected by their life experiences 

Edited by Talorgan
Spelling!
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Talorgan said:

We had a teacher that was so tormented by his experience that he sometimes flung his blackboard rubbing out thing across the room which was bit disconcerting!

Poor blackboard, the things these blackboards have had to endure, it wont be long before they force a new name on the blackboard, it's so sad.

• Haha 2

bloody stereotypes

On 8/13/2023 at 1:28 PM, EnigmaticWorld said:

Did people miss the connection on these posts?

Clearly, Sadiq (Sad-Dick) Khan is massively insulting the London Lesbian community with his call for ULEZ, which sounds terribly like "You Lez", as in "Oi you Lez, you need to try a fella for a change."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mr Crabtree said:

Yes, and the new Twitter name and logo perpetuates this treatment of blackboards.

As many will know, the Unicode Character “𝕏” selected for the new logo is actually based on what was called in maths text books, a 'doublestruck X'. This printed 𝕏 along with other letters was itself derived from the blackboard bold style used on blackboards to emphasise a set or group, eg ℝ for the set of real numbers or ℕ for the set of natural numbers. (Double strikes being made by turn the chalk side on to write)

By selecting 𝕏, Musk is perpetuating the mistreatment of blackboards and emphasising the doubly horrible double strike, imposing whiteness on a blackboard.

11 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Local journalism reaches new low...

I visited Wilko store after huge administration sale launched and left feeling confused

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/visited-wilko-store-after-huge-27518619

Honestly this reads more like a Mumsnet blog article than a 'news' story. And if she can be 'confused' by all this, well it tells you all you need to know about the calibre of journalists being recruited by Reach. (Or maybe its all about dumbing down the audience...)

It's exactly as it says on the tin, its an 'administration sale'.

This is all about clearing out stock, and turning it into cash, so that bills and creditors can be paid, in an effort to make the business a 'going concern'.

Not everything will be heavily reduced in price, and there will of course be the usual psychological trick of making shoppers think they are getting a bargain when they aren't.

Yeah, maybe its a bit early for the Halloween season, but if you got loads of Halloween-related stock sitting around doing nothing, then may as well offer it for sale and see what you can get for it.

"Seeming busy" is not quite the same as actually being 'busy'.

I've been to a few local Wilko stores in recent weeks, mainly on Saturday or Sundays, and I found them to be surprisingly dead, hardly any shoppers.

Which makes for a pleasant shopping experience, until you're forced to use their self-checkouts.

I wonder why so many people now prefer to do their discount shopping at B&M or Home Bargains instead?

B & M most likely because it’s pilled high with cheap crap to eat and drink.