Minor News items - Not worth a thread of their own

SuperstarNeilC

On 7/25/2023 at 9:00 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

Same goes for all the other 'fake protest' movements like Extinction Rebellion, Just Stop Oil etc etc

When you're being funded and promoted by the people/organisations you're (supposedly) protesting against, then you're hardly a "grassroots" movement.

yes they are not really grassroots. they are agents of the super rich who are helping them create a neo-fuedal, two tier world hence the name 'astro-turf' activism

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

Australian Army band ‘not in a position’ to play Chinese national anthem

And yet apparently they did play it, according to the article. I looked up a translation of it, it's ironic actually, here's the first couple of lines: 

"Arise! Ye who refuse to be slaves!
With our flesh and blood, let us build our new Great Wall!

If only once-great nations like Aus did rise up and refuse to be slaves, and build strong walls by defending their borders and territorial waters. 

EDIT  or the Aussies could refer to their own national anthem when the Chinese spy ships turn up: 
"Should foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore,
To guard our native strand;
"

Edited by Campion
  • Like 1

The Jamie Bulger fake video is pretty poor taste. But sadly, I feel it’s more pointing to the ‘naughty freedoms of the internet’ and how they need to be reeled in.

Like Just Stop Oil, it’s to shock and frustrate people into submission. If everyone is in chains we are all safe! Or something….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mazthehobo said:

The Jamie Bulger fake video is pretty poor taste. But sadly, I feel it’s more pointing to the ‘naughty freedoms of the internet’ and how they need to be reeled in.

Like Just Stop Oil, it’s to shock and frustrate people into submission. If everyone is in chains we are all safe! Or something….

Yes, I agree. I haven't seen it, I heard a news headline earlier and 'smelt a rat'. It just seems so obvious doesn't it.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 4:01 PM, Captainlove said:

Im still trying to understand this one. Since when was a police officer life worth more than an average joe. If this person had shot a white person he would of got 10 years. Why the whole life sentence?

Absolutely right, killers should get the same sentence whoever they murdered. And cops should get same sentence when they kill people. The judiciary are taking the piss out of us.  And sending the message to the police that they can literally get away with murder.

I remember this De Zoysa story when it happened. doesn't make any sense he'd be arrested, cuffed and cops didn't spot the gun (they claim it was concealed in his armpit 🤣. Then he's conveniently brain damaged during the incident so he can't speak/defend himself in court. Mind-controlled patsy? I see they released edited/cropped footage of the incident now but it's not conclusive evidence . Gun could have been loaded with blanks.

They're also demonising "autistic" people (i.e. people who were brain damaged by vaccines) and want to limit their rights and freedoms. Did the same with Sandy Hoax claiming Adam Lanza was autistic when in realkity he'd never existed. I'm sure there are other examples. They're probably worried about the vaccine injured waking up to what happened to them and seeking revenge on those responsible.

The Scum has the video-

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/23202671/louis-de-zoysa-shot-custody-matt-ratana-murder-jail/

Edited by BossCrow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im still trying to understand this one. Since when was a police officer life worth more than an average joe. If this person had shot a white person he would of got 10 years. Why the whole life sentence?

They changed the law to make it tougher on anyone who attacks a state employee such as the police or ambulance staff or doctors etc

why did they do that? Well they must have been anticipating an increase in anger towards employees of the state

why would they expect an increase in anger towards employees of the state? Well they must have known that employees of the state were going to start doing things that would make people angry...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Macnamara said:

They changed the law to make it tougher on anyone who attacks a state employee such as the police or ambulance staff or doctors etc

why did they do that? Well they must have been anticipating an increase in anger towards employees of the state

why would they expect an increase in anger towards employees of the state? Well they must have known that employees of the state were going to start doing things that would make people angry...

I'm pleased to read this Macnamara, thanks. It's something that WE know and observed since before 2020, the posters popping up everywhere. Then the radio phone in's during 2021 ish when some callers let on that the abuse that was being talked about in the media was mostly to do with staff being coerced into pushing people around 'for their own safety', and that many people did not actually want to wear masks and stand on stickers, for starters.

I heard of one man in particular who was treated like a child for trying to protect his mother's right to proper care in the hospital, and the receptionist shouting at him to stand back from the plastic screen / barrier. A dentists, for instance, will threaten to remove you from their list. 

Remember in 2020 / 2021, when the media were promoting the 'issue' of bus drivers and police being spat at, as another example of the problem, reaction, solution. 

Thanks again Mac

images-4.png.1039cf1679d8ed9baf625c779c90d20c.png  images.jpeg-10.jpg.61c08375ff9cb65a59d6d68b775e6c0e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, alexa said:

Fury as Costa uses cartoon image of 'trans man' with mastectomy scars: Angry customers now warn they will boycott chain over 'horrific imagery' being used 'to sell coffee'

image_2023-08-01_032441189.png.00d9347e6baf59a4571a7ebdd73c679f.png

DMail

I'm so sick of these corporations, I wish people would stop funding them. Costa is everywhere now, in the hospitals and the other chain stores. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Observations said:

I'm so sick of these corporations, I wish people would stop funding them. Costa is everywhere now, in the hospitals and the other chain stores. 

I know - We should have realized this a few years back via their logo, this tho makes me very sick & angry.

how many more of them?

rossmannf-1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=b66fb040b

Konstantin-Kisin03-o9jo14lm6ec7utrknlr9a

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alexa said:

I know - We should have realized this a few years back via their logo, this tho makes me very sick & angry.

I don't know what their logo represents. Yes, on the one hand I'm sick and angry too, on the other I'm frustrated at the blatant attempt to try to make us sick and angry, and distracted. It confuses me too; when I see how bad all this is already, I wonder where on earth it will be as time marches on? There will almost be no opportunity to focus on what THEY are doing, and to challenge it ... as in doing so we may well go 'round the bend'. 

In the meanwhile some of the massive changes going on like the 'war on the motorist', and bank accounts being closed (which is an odd one anyway as it's almost protesting to be let back into the system?!  😆 ... are kindly 😉 challenged by Rishi and Nigel. Is that to make it look like someone with a bit of clout is on our side, so we take our eye off it all. I think that's part of how IT works isnt it.

Hey, imagine if Costa had decided to create a logo for breast or penis enlargements. Or for ex soldiers with one leg. It is increasingly ridiculous, and of course it's keeping Talk radio and GB News in business, with just 5 or 10 conversation points.

17 minutes ago, Observations said:

Hey, imagine if Costa had decided to create a logo for breast or penis enlargements. Or for ex soldiers with one leg. It is increasingly ridiculous, and of course it's keeping Talk radio and GB News in business, with just 5 or 10 conversation points.

Sorry - I was confusing Costa with Starbucks, Oops. 

Etsy U-turn in row over withholding sellers' money

Online marketplace Etsy has said it will change its policy after sellers complained of money being held.

The U-turn comes after the BBC reported that some sellers had 75% of their money frozen for 45 days.

Etsy said it was "substantially decreasing" the amount of money it would put on hold but did not state the new rate or time frame.

Sellers like Dan, who said Etsy had £7,000 of his takings on hold, said the announcement "lacked detail".

Small business commissioner Liz Barclay told the BBC that sellers were "very disappointed" that the statement from Etsy was unclear.

"I have asked Etsy to explain what we tell sellers about the level of the reduction in reserves they might expect and when this will happen," she said.

On Monday, the BBC reported that hundreds of Etsy sellers had received an email from the website notifying them it was actioning its "reserve system".

Etsy told the BBC payment reserves were used to "keep the marketplace safe" and cover any potential refunds.

Dan, who sold made-to-order wood furniture told the BBC: "Etsy are holding around £7,000 of my money, leaving us to use credit cards and family loans to try and keep our business running and keep food on the table."

Ceramics seller Rachel Collyer said Etsy was holding £899 of her money, which meant she cannot afford to buy materials to keep producing.

Parasites. Leeches.

It's worth pointing out that online marketplaces such as Etsy and eBay don't actually 'produce' any items offered for sale themselves. They just provide the 'platform', through which buyers then find and buy items offered for sale from various sellers.

(Amazon is slightly different, as it does retail products itself, as well as sells its own brand products, but does also allow third-party sellers to trade as well)

On a slightly different note, but still related, the likes of AirBNB are almost the same, they don't own or maintain any properties themselves, they just provide a platform for hosts to take bookings.

The marketplaces charge sellers monthly subscription fees, as well as taking a percentage of any sale as 'commission'.

eBay ditched Paypal as its preferred payment processor a few years ago now, and manages payments and refunds itself. Buyers no longer pay the seller directly - you give your money to eBay/Etsy/Onbuy etc, and then they pay what is owed to the seller, less commission/fees etc.

Somebody must have worked out that if you have millions of buyers making millions of purchases every day, even if you only 'bank' that money for a couple of days, it must be collecting some interest somewhere.

No wonder hedge-funds are such big 'investors' in these platforms.

Etsy Inc. is a US-based company which trades its shares on the NASDAQ stock exchange in New York, where it listed its stock in 2015. Etsy's shares currently trading at $99 each - a far cry from an all time high of $294 during the Covid pandemic in 2021.

Its biggest shareholders are major financial institutions such as Vanguard Group, BlackRock and JP Morgan.

I can understand these platforms 'holding' onto monies for a few days before releasing the funds to its sellers, but to freeze payouts for up to 45 days is a bit ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

Killing off small businesses and independent traders. And hobbyists.

It's been going on for years, started by Amazon closing the accounts of small sellers (basically people trying to make a bit of money from their collectables), and now it's going up a notch or two. Endgame: corporations only.

One story that really bothered me this week is the news that the Beckhams and the Sussexes have fallen out. It seems their friendship is beyond repair. How sumply dreadful it must be to have a life-long friend turn his back when need is greatest. I can only hope that David, Harry, Meghan and Posh shake hands, make up, and start going to each others' parties again.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/23247559/david-victoria-beckham-harry-meghan-friendship-over/

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Nemuri Kyoshiro said:

One story that really bothered me this week is the news that the Beckhams and the Sussexes have fallen out. It seems their friendship is beyond repair. How sumply dreadful it must be to have a life-long friend turn his back when need is greatest. I can only hope that David, Harry, Meghan and Posh shake hands, make up, and start going to each others' parties again.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/23247559/david-victoria-beckham-harry-meghan-friendship-over/

I've been having sleepless nights about this. I do hope this gets resolved 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nemuri Kyoshiro said:

It's a shame, especially after David spent all that money on a polo pony.

Good news though, the pony got the operation and the hole through it's middle is nearly healed now, although it did cost Dave an absolute mint!

download(5).jpg.c27e68529870f4d2889e4e28b496641d.jpg

HERE ARE THE LADS IN HAPPIER TIMES, TAKING A BREAK DURING A CHARITY BONDAGE PARTY!👍 DAVE HAD SUGGESTED AS A JOKE THAT THEY HAD A 'WHIP ROUND' FOR CHARITY, MEGHAN TOOK OVER THE IDEA, NOTHING HARRY SAID WOULD CHANGE HER MIND, IN FACT, AS ALWAYS, HIS HANDS WERE TIED AND HE JUST WENT ALONG WITH THE IDEA!🤔 A PERFECT FIRING SQUAD OPPORTUNITY MISSED IN MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION!🫢

THE THREE LADS REHEARSING A SILLY SKETCH FOR THE PUNTERS=download(6).jpg.b8377179ab9ab4d08db61e8f3208d445.jpg

PRETENDING TO KICK AN INVISIBLE BALL, A NOSTALGIC TIME FOR BIG H BECAUSE AS WE ALL KNOW,  HIS BALLS WERE REMOVED A FEW YEARS AGO BY MEGHAN!🥴

Edited by Mr Crabtree
  • Like 1