Minor News items - Not worth a thread of their own

SuperstarNeilC

17 hours ago, webtrekker said:

Here's a full view of the banner, Obs ...

2023-07-10_00-21-32.jpg.bf5b93a2727c69a83f454dfce56db5d0.jpg

The bit I find immediately curious is the kerb in front of the railings. It's a strike kerb, quite high with a 90° sharp corner. I would magine a reasonably heavy vehicle hitting that at speed would have had major front wheel damage at the very least, and could possibly have been thrown off a straight line course.

2023-07-10_00-35-49.jpg.76976b67d9704a5c5321cb350a171b00.jpg

I'm not surprised that metal fence was flattened though as they are there to stop kids running directly into the road and not to stop vehicles.

I heard they admitted it was a seizure. Another issue I had with the drone photo was that if it was an incident they would not have moved the fence panels at least initially. As that would be a part of the investigation. With only exception if it was blocking the road. Considering they admit it was an accident, it goes to show how much damage a car at relatively low speeds can do. 

2 hours ago, Mr H said:

Looking in newspapers sounds like climate change has caused Europe to get hot.

Or could it be that it's summer..

Seeing it's hot in Sicily in July well fk me!

Lol

I remember my friend Vito showing me a film he made, frying an egg on the bonnet of a Car. It was 47c then plus temp increase of the metallic surface. After like all normal Sicilians he went in the sea.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 7:30 PM, Mr H said:

Looking in newspapers sounds like climate change has caused Europe to get hot.

Yeah, I went on the weather website to check all the locations that are meant to be death levels of heat....and most of them are under 40 degrees or just a tiny bit over. And the stock photos daily mail are using are so pathetic! 

Fake terrorist attack incoming or just raising general fear levels?

If these attempts were in 2018 why not raise it back then?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12310577/Police-foiled-39-terror-plots-Britain-past-five-years-threat-rising-al-Qaeda-Islamic-State-continuing-plan-strikes-UK-new-report-finds.html

UK's terror threat is 'once again rising' as it's revealed 39 failed attacks have been launched since 2018 - including on MPs, Pride and London landmarks - with 75% of MI5 time devoted to Islamist threat and a quarter to Right-wing extremism

1 hour ago, Mr H said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12310577/Police-foiled-39-terror-plots-Britain-past-five-years-threat-rising-al-Qaeda-Islamic-State-continuing-plan-strikes-UK-new-report-finds.html

UK's terror threat is 'once again rising' as it's revealed 39 failed attacks have been launched since 2018 - including on MPs, Pride and London landmarks - with 75% of MI5 time devoted to Islamist threat and a quarter to Right-wing extremism

I noted she said that the internet was a national security threat and I conclude what she really means is that the internet is a threat to their power. At least it's shows that they can be scared of us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr H said:

Sorry i dont buy the islam threat its a fear thing. There has been no terror events recently as its all done by the PTB. Most muslims are peaceful people.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mr H said:

What these folks don't say when they go on about inflation is over is that the price has already doubled and ain't ever coming back down.

They shifted the baseline for prices going forward 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66228386.amp

Ocado boss claims worst of food inflation is over

Exactly, what goes up, rarely comes down.

I noticed the other day that diesel now appears to be less than £1.50 a litre, certainly only a few pence more than petrol.

Still more expensive than it was a couple of years ago!

Supermarkets fought with each other for years to 'price-match' and beat their competitors down on price, which was great for consumers. I still think most recent price rises are just supermarkets and 'big food' brands trying to claw back lost profits.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captainlove said:

Sorry i dont buy the islam threat its a fear thing. There has been no terror events recently as its all done by the PTB. Most muslims are peaceful people.

Yeah for sure. Ones I met especially the older ones very honourable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Exactly, what goes up, rarely comes down.

I noticed the other day that diesel now appears to be less than £1.50 a litre, certainly only a few pence more than petrol.

Still more expensive than it was a couple of years ago!

4p a litre more than petrol here

10 hours ago, k_j_evans said:

4p a litre more than petrol here

In the UK we pay fuel duty of £2.41 per gallon on both petrol and diesel (52.95 pence per litre if you must), then 20% VAT on top of that. Which means we pay double taxation, we're taxed on the tax, not only the goods. 

I've been working out how much, and we're paying £6.43 a gallon for diesel now where I live, which breaks down to: 

£

2.95 pre-tax price of diesel 

2.41  duty on diesel 

0.59 VAT on diesel

0.48 VAT on duty

ie total taxes £3.48 or around 54% of the total price of a gallon!! Presumably there's double taxation on other items like alcohol and tobacco, I'll need to check them too. 

Edited by Campion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Campion said:

In the UK we pay fuel duty of £2.41 per gallon on both petrol and diesel (52.95 pence per litre if you must), then 20% VAT on top of that. Which means we pay double taxation, we're taxed on the tax, not only the goods. 

I've been working out how much, and we're paying £6.43 a gallon for diesel now where I live, which breaks down to: 

£

2.95 pre-tax price of diesel 

2.41  duty on diesel 

0.59 VAT on diesel

0.48 VAT on duty

ie total taxes £3.48 or around 54% of the total price of a gallon!! Presumably there's double taxation on other items like alcohol and tobacco, I'll need to check them too. 

Here's the current situation according to the RAC ..

Screenshot_20230719-101552_Chrome.jpg.5f4f1f608ca2eadd5fafa2e8193af386.jpg

• Like 1

I noticed they only sneak it in once then quickly start using a different chant, they know exactly what they're doing, truly shameless and they would take that as a compliment. Walking down the street half naked talking about predating children, where's your self respect and dignity? The problem is they genuinely think they're part of an important movement and not just making a massive hedonistic party of their lives.

Edited by CosmicPurpose
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Todays news is Nigel Farage 

The words are Djokovic, Brexit ...

Mixed with boats, migrants, trans, just stop oil, heatwaves, inflation,  ... on repeat, repeat ...and couldn't think for a sec - yeah terrorism!! Who would have thought that the odd 'one of them' might slip in on the boats? Terrorism - that old chestnut - the fear mongers friend, and I know that 10 and 20 years ago it was almost state sponsored curtain twitching ... for anyone who looked a bit like they could be 'one of them'.

Back then it was deport 'them', human rights. Other times it's let 'them' in. 

Divide divide. 

Heard a man say send them to an island, it would be better than where they are. 

As it's OK to destroy a country and just re-home the people. 

This could happen to any one of us - war is never that far away unfortunately, kts just another part of the business plan isn't it, destroy, rebuild, repeat. 

Get that weapons order in on Amaz*n 

Edited by Observations

Reminds me of the covid hysteria..

Germans having siestas lolz

Remember when I was in Portugal years ago fires etc the norm.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12314371/amp/Italys-hospitals-struggle-cope-tourists-collapse-heat-heatwave-strike-Greece-tomorrow.html

Germany considers bringing in SIESTAS to deal with Europe's soaring temperatures: Italian hospitals struggle to cope with collapsing tourists and Greece prepares for another heatwave from tomorrow

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mr H said:

Reminds me of the covid hysteria..

Germans having siestas lolz

Remember when I was in Portugal years ago fires etc the norm.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12314371/amp/Italys-hospitals-struggle-cope-tourists-collapse-heat-heatwave-strike-Greece-tomorrow.html

Germany considers bringing in SIESTAS to deal with Europe's soaring temperatures: Italian hospitals struggle to cope with collapsing tourists and Greece prepares for another heatwave from tomorrow

Well, they can come for a nice cool holiday here - 16 degrees and raining.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1