Minor News items - Not worth a thread of their own

SuperstarNeilC

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-london-tube-chaos-passengers-29902351

Shocking footage from Clapham Common showed panic at the tube station as commuters were left trapped inside carriages with doors stuck and refusing to open.

People could be heard crying in terror as others begin smashing the windows to try and get them out in what is understood to be a "fire alert".

Something about this strikes me as weird? Doors don't usually stick ..A sacrifice gone wrong?

On 5/6/2023 at 7:21 PM, Anti Facts Sir said:

In the 80s, the tube trains would have emergency buttons that opened the doors in an...um...emergency...so....what happened?

Malfunction? Deliberately sabotaged? Nothing to see here?

I seem to remember that the doors could be forced open by just shoving them apart.. its weird.

I heard that today is VE day. 78 years. I gather that is now more a part of the old world, and that there won't be as many references to it as before? So much for lest we forget?! The old wars have mostly served their purpose?

The Convid era has certainly been used to 'break the bonds' to the war, for instance remembrance Sunday was dumped unceremoniously, like everything else ... and the minutes silence for wars has been replaced by any old poncey excuse for forced silence?!

Incidentally, I went to a 'remembrance' at the cenotaph in Nov 2020, it was a natural 'congregation' of about 150 people and a few strong minded 'older' men in uniform, who all refused to be told to stay at home that day. Just 'cause there was no state involvement. 

Thinking back it was quite fascinating to witness the 'parade' in 2022 with all the 'usual' order, barriers and council representatives, etc. It was interesting to say the least, to compare that to the time when the world stopped. I had thought all day back then, of all of those older soldiers, stuck at home, routine destroyed. A reason to get dressed and get together ... Etc. 

The hypocrisy and double standards and contradictions were glaringly obvious to me. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 6:49 AM, shadowmoon said:

terror

I notice the reintroduction of that word. These bloody people used it constantly since 9/11 ... appropriately and inappropriately. 

It seems that we will have to get used to seeing constant new war and fear tactics. Anything to stop people going out and enjoying the chance of a carefree day. 

Suits are back in fashion

some quotes from the feature on GB news ...

" I've been in trouble for saying this but I'm a a traditionalist, I like men in suits and women in dresses. "

" Apparently since lockdown ended, more people are going to black tie dinners. "

" Yes we were all slops during lockdown. "

Mike Parry said " since being filmed from the waist up I wear chinos as they are more comfortable, and last longer. "

He ended by saying " it's been nice being in with the spice girls", gently referring to the all female panel, and the presenter smiled and called him the "token boy"

(Again this is the sort of exchange that they're trying to beat out of us ... but I don't think you would hear a girl called the token girl now. I'm sick of it all though. We can and should communicate ... )

I heard two presenters talk of the guests and presenters outfits for the coronation at the weekend and how important it is to get dressed up.  I thought you cheeky bastards, you didn't mind encouraging people to wear jogging bottoms when it suited you, but now it's a royal event we're 'allowed' to dress up, and even dance! And wave flags!! Then it will be ... get back to your cage, and turn the bloody lights off, I suppose 😉 

Cheap as chips? Not any more as price rockets

The price of a large fish and chips has shot up by almost a fifth according to The Office for National Statistics (ONS), which launched a comparison tool to show how much everyday items have increased during the cost of living crisis.

The data showed a surge in takeaway food and dining, with the cost of an average takeaway fish and chips jumping by 19 per cent to £9.

A number of chip shop owners said the same reason for their pricey fish; Brexit.

from: https://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/food-and-drink/2023/05/08/cheap-as-chips-not-any-more-as-price-rockets/

I can't help but feel that this article is just more 'anti-Brexit' social engineering, as most people are happy to 'blame Brexit' but don't understand the real reasoning.

Chris Minas, owner of Broadway Chippy in Walsall, has to charge £10.15 to be able to make a profit.

"We only buy high quality fish, but the price has increased massively since Brexit because of import fees.

"We have really dropped in the number of customers we're getting. People can't afford it anymore. If it keeps going like this, having a fish and chip dinner will become a novelty, something people will do once a month as opposed to your Friday fish and chips."

Incredible that on an island surrounded by waters abundantly filled with cod, we are still having to import fish.

The irony is that the 'high quality' fish was probably caught by an EU fishing vessel from British waters.

Also, do we no longer grow potatoes in this country?

I've said it before, this isn't "because of Brexit", this is a consequence of our government failing to take full advantage of the benefits of Brexit by revitalising our fishing and farming industries, instead on pandering to EU interests.

"The police have been handed new powers"

Labour will "look" at these powers 

Protest news is constant

Sky News - Khan - "Urgent clarity" needed by Met Police 

Culture Secretary says police "got the balance right" 

"We did react proportionately"

"Even those who tried to protest by the book, said It wasn't clear what the rules were, and it was difficult to see how to follow the law."

64 arrested - 4 people have been charged

( 4 minutes to save the world ?!? )

"The police have a duty to intervene when a protest may become criminal."

'Republic', the anti royals, say that this was all premeditated ... before any protest could begin ... and the protest was planned for a long time, in talks with the police. Just stop oil were also protesting, supposedly.

160 pharmacies close in England in the last two years 

Health Secretary pledges to end the 8am scramble for GP appointments with £240m funding, which will help surgeries replace old phone systems with modern technology and ensure patients are seen faster. But Labour says the struggle stems from government cuts. 

Ensures a patients call will be taken on the same day. 

( Sounds like a call back system )

A GP on talk radio says some surgeries have already installed call waiting systems and have Chat bots and Ai to take patients calls. He says this is old news and "old money" (?)

( The continuation of breaking the system to make a new system. )

( The quality of your health care still depends very much on where you live. That includes whether you can see a doctor that you actually know, and who knows you. This does still happen but it is not on the news. )

15 minutes ago, Observations said:

Health Secretary pledges to end the 8am scramble for GP appointments with £240m funding, which will help surgeries replace old phone systems with modern technology and ensure patients are seen faster. But Labour says the struggle stems from government cuts. 

A GP on talk radio says some surgeries have already installed call waiting systems and have Chat bots and Ai to take patients calls. He says this is old news and "old money" (?)

( The quality of your health care still depends very much on where you live. That includes whether you can see a doctor that you actually know, and who knows you. This does still happen but it is not on the news. )

You know I was going to make a post about this as I found out recently that Lloyds Pharmacy is closing all of its branches. It appears that it has been bought by Boots.

So yet again, we are heading towards likes of Amazon which sells everything from fresh food to any items you want to buy online.

James McNally - Mr Dog Bite - Soliticter 

" Dog attacks are up 30% ( they never give the numbers!? ) 

Since the pandemic we've seen a sizable increase 

All of a sudden you had one or two million more dogs in the country 

There is no one breed that is causing the problems 

To drive you have to take tests 

As any dog can cause a problem 

Compulsory training and licensing 

It has to be as big a fix as that 

Longer sentences or higher fines is not the fix, it's greater education "

... Quotes Continued;

How did you sleep last night? Are you tired?

There would have to be an algorithm designed 

I'm not sure it's actually going to achieve anything 

You will be charged with dangerous driving anyway 

A better test will be, if there is a suspicion you are tired there will be a response test 

Lorry drivers have to take a rest 

Im aware that every 1000 miles I would rest and stay hydrated 

I think a physical test rather than a blood test 

How can this be incorporated into law 

James Wilson - sleep behaviourist 

We are all different 

You can't make yourself sleep better 

Sleep support is very poor in this country 

Nick Freeman- Motoring Lawyer

We don't know how we sleep. How do we know?

( Mandatory fit bit / watch / implant??! Perhaps 😉 )

It should be right that its an offence to drive when fatigued 

It is a significant problem 

( Driverless cars??! 😉 )

1 hour ago, DaleP said:

You know I was going to make a post about this as I found out recently that Lloyds Pharmacy is closing all of its branches. It appears that it has been bought by Boots.

So yet again, we are heading towards likes of Amazon which sells everything from fresh food to any items you want to buy online.

Thanks DaleP, I noticed Lloyd's closing, the one I spoke to said that their branch is being taken over by an independent. I thought that makes a bloody change! Interesting if Boots is steaming in. I've got something else to add to this later, shall I write it here or in health?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Observations said:

Thanks DaleP, I noticed Lloyd's closing, the one I spoke to said that their branch is being taken over by an independent. I thought that makes a bloody change! Interesting if Boots is steaming in. I've got something else to add to this later, shall I write it here or in health?

Post it here.

Radio 4 

Online safety bill - I missed loads of this, but here is a few snippets ...

Guest; There is a resistance from tech companies ...

We need more consistency. It should be built in to tech companies, it's what we expect from other companies (already)

The bill requires WhatsApp to give information, but not the encrypted messages ... as they don't have access to that 😉 but maybe what websites you visited before and after sending a message, and ...

Presenter; ... A higher regulation world? ... I think people expected something else from the internet and it seems to be more regulation, not less.

In Europe and the world there's a move to more regulation. The tech companies might not like having to comply but ...

Primary school pupil has 'cardiac episode' after drinking Prime energy drink

A primary school has issued a warning after a pupil had a "cardiac episode" after drinking the viral Prime energy drink. The KSI and Logan Paul drink has been a viral sensational all year, sparking huge queues at stores nationwide.

But a school in Newport in Wales is issuing a warning to parents. Milton Primary School on Hendre Farm Drive said a parent had reported their child had to have their stomach pumped after drinking the drink, which contains 200mg of caffeine.

The school has text mums and dads saying: "This morning a parent has reported that their child has had a cardiac episode over the weekend after drinking a Prime energy drink. The child had to have their stomach pumped and although better now the parent wanted us to share this as a reminder of the potential harmful effects."

The official website states that one 12oz can - or 355mls - of Prime Energy contains 200mg of caffeine. A warning on the page states that the energy drink is not "recommended" for children under the age of 18, as well as pregnant or nursing women.

A can of Red Bull has between 75-80mg of caffeine, meanwhile a full can of Monster Energy contains 160mg. An average cup of coffee contains around 40mg of caffeine. However, there are no laws in place restricting sales of energy drinks to under 16s and if Prime Energy proves to be as popular as its predecessor, it will likely fall into children's hands.

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/primary-school-pupil-cardiac-episode-26886423

I remember about ten or so years ago now, when that Monster stuff first came out, someone was driving around our industrial estate in a liveried van and going into businesses to hand out 'free samples'. This young woman left four cans for us, one for each of us working in the sales office. Myself and two other colleagues drank one each, the other colleague declined, so I ended up drinking two of them.

While I suffered no ill-effects, I was proper 'buzzing' afterwards. Never touched the stuff since.

None of these 'energy drinks' are any good to anybody, and it alarms me how many people seem to 'rely on' them in order to get themselves through the day.

If you're tired at work or even at school, then you're not getting enough sleep and rest. Get a good night's sleep instead of staying up late playing video games, watching movies or scrolling through social media, that's my advice.

It concerns me how much these Prime drinks are being hyped, not just by 'social media influencers' but even by the mainstream media. Has any MSM journalist ever done any proper investigating into what these drinks contain and what they do to people? Nope, because its all part of the social engineering exercise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

from: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/primary-school-pupil-cardiac-episode-26886423

I remember about ten or so years ago now, when that Monster stuff first came out, someone was driving around our industrial estate in a liveried van and going into businesses to hand out 'free samples'. This young woman left four cans for us, one for each of us working in the sales office. Myself and two other colleagues drank one each, the other colleague declined, so I ended up drinking two of them.

While I suffered no ill-effects, I was proper 'buzzing' afterwards. Never touched the stuff since.

None of these 'energy drinks' are any good to anybody, and it alarms me how many people seem to 'rely on' them in order to get themselves through the day.

If you're tired at work or even at school, then you're not getting enough sleep and rest. Get a good night's sleep instead of staying up late playing video games, watching movies or scrolling through social media, that's my advice.

It concerns me how much these Prime drinks are being hyped, not just by 'social media influencers' but even by the mainstream media. Has any MSM journalist ever done any proper investigating into what these drinks contain and what they do to people? Nope, because its all part of the social engineering exercise.

One can contains the equal of 10 black coffee's so im not surprised it gets the heart flying and the adrenaline system motoring. Also contains bull sperm i think.

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2023 at 7:52 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

just 1 prime?

On 5/8/2023 at 5:07 PM, Observations said:

If anyone actually cared, they'd allow people to walk into the surgery and make an appointment for a routine test etc like they used to in the "olden days". And no one even attempts to cater for the hearing impaired with this phone appt system.

• Thanks 1

As far as I'm concerned music is life. I caught an interesting interview with Razorlight's Johnny Borrell ...

JB; Some people don't even know that what they're listening to is pre-recorded ...

Kirsty Wark; Yes. Nick Cave has warned and talked about this ...

JB; I can only talk about Rock bands as that's what I do. It would be like going to a football match and knowing the score (listening to music that isn't live)

KW; Particularly post pandemic people were so glad to get out, get back to ...

JB; If 20% carry on ... (playing live)

JB: The audience ... They take it in and give you back some energy ... They're playing it for real ... AI can't replace a guitar

KW; Are you suggesting there should be a ... ?

JB; Yes we should all get together and form a guild ...

Yesterday on times radio at about 3.30? The two female presenters discussed that many / most Prime Ministers had a traumatic experience when they were young (children) one of the PM's said it made them stronger. Probably Blair. 

He can acknowledge becoming stronger through tragedy, while we are pushed to weakness?

The list of PM's was good to hear. I think there is a book out. No it was an article in the Times. 

I forgot to add that on Nicky Campbell radio 5 today, a guest said he had a traumatic experience when he was a child. It was all discussing suicide and men's mental heath etc 

Edited by Observations
added last paragraph