Gareth Southgate says .. racism .. blah .. blah?

I use to follow football very closely,and went to a few games,but now have lost total interest, mostly since all the political nosense. I hate the way the game has gone. I might watch england v Italy game for the lols.

1 hour ago, Captainlove said:

I use to follow football very closely,and went to a few games,but now have lost total interest, mostly since all the political nosense. I hate the way the game has gone. I might watch england v Italy game for the lols.

Only kids allowed apparently 

3 hours ago, Captainlove said:

Big money destroyed the game, which was taken over by inferior men. They couldn't pay me to attend a game these days. Pro sports around the world is shite. Over here, baseball and American football is an utter joke. All the agendas are pushed by the governing bodies: LGBTQ, BLM, antisemitism, anti-this, anti-that. What a borefest. If people stopped paying for tickets, it would soon stop by the virtue-signalling masses must have their fix of sports. They won't get out a play themselves though.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Nemuri Kyoshiro said:

American football is an utter joke. All the agendas are pushed by the governing bodies: LGBTQ, BLM, antisemitism, anti-this, anti-that. What a borefest.

Baseball (purely the game) is not so bad in a tactical sense like cricket, so i'm leaving it out of this, but American football really is a joke. 11 minutes average total action in a 3 hour game. It's basically watching adverts interspersed with sporting elements.  Good thing at least about footy is it's one break and two halves, 60 minutes of average action over 90 or so minutes, a much better ratio. I wonder if they introduce a stop clock in footy, it would open the floodgates to breaking up the game like American football. The US broadcasters would certainly like that idea, as they try to fit in little ads in footy more than we do in the uk (i lived in the US for a bit, so got to see a fair bit of how they do things). But that would obviously be utilised by our broadcasters also, and at that point it would be well and truly dead to me.

Posted (edited)

Sky News from last week's game ... There's a lot of good quotes to choose from, but it'll give me nightmares if I start now 😆 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12627757/england-players-booed-by-hungary-fans-when-taking-a-knee-before-nations-league-opener-in-budapest

England booed by children in Hungary while taking a knee

Gareth Southgate: "It's inherited thinking"

"In excess of 30,000 people - mainly schoolchildren - were allowed inside the Arena as UEFA rules allow for an unlimited number of U14s to attend games behind closed doors, as long as they are accompanied by an adult."

Edited by Observations

Something like 2,000 at Wolves tonight. Sounded like a very busy swimming pool centre.

Loved how the kids immediately booed the first Italian touch of the game. That's inherited thinking for ya.

You can see how edgy Southgate's getting, shit game after shit game, no goals in 3 matches (save for the softest pen you'll see), and his team won't take risks.

I remember Hoddle's last match was a turgid 0-0 against some Arab side. Course he got fired for "them things I didn't say". Maybe they can string up Southgate for something, so we can all move on from this shitshow.

• Like 4

Some Arab team ?! 😉 I shall have you arrested Sir. Or horse whipped. Or sent to Southgate's re-education camp. The choice is yours. 😆 🤣 

Quote: "We do it to try to educate and I think young people can only be influenced by older people. I have no idea why people would choose to boo that gesture and very often young people can't know why they're doing it so they're being influenced by older adults - everyone knows what we believe and what we stand for."

"What I would say is, I hear that still in our stadiums as well. That's why we do it and continue to take that stand and we will keep doing that as a team."

1 hour ago, Observations said:

Some Arab team ?! 😉 I shall have you arrested Sir. Or horse whipped. Or sent to Southgate's re-education camp. The choice is yours. 😆 🤣 

My bad, I looked it up on wiki and I was mixing up the 0-0 with Saudi Arabia before the WC98 with the 0-0 against Bulgaria in late 1999.

All I can offer in my defence is I never said them things.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:45 AM, Anti Facts Sir said:

Do you still have that away kit in the colours of the Portuguese national strip?

Haven't seen it for this season. Wolves were heavily criticized for buying so many Portuguese players but now everybody is in on it, there is no problem.

The Dippers have just spent another £80m on a Portuguese player to go with Jota and Diaz.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 12:55 AM, Anti Facts Sir said:

I remember that goal on TV in 78. And where the fuck were England at that time...think the qualifying system was a bit iffy...only 1 team got through in their QF group or something.

I watched it on a portable black and white television in a caravan somewhere in Torbay. Gemmill and Alan Rough stood out for different reasons.

14 hours ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

My bad, I looked it up on wiki and I was mixing up the 0-0 with Saudi Arabia before the WC98 with the 0-0 against Bulgaria in late 1999.

All I can offer in my defence is I never said them things.

Lol, brilliant, and you're right 'cause you said side, not team; which makes me guilty of partly true misinformation. Luckily you're not a fact checker.

You reminded me about Hoddle; that was '99. Look how long this has been going on. How to ruin the good guys.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 12:37 AM, Anti Facts Sir said:

Something like 2,000 at Wolves tonight. Sounded like a very busy swimming pool centre.

Loved how the kids immediately booed the first Italian touch of the game. That's inherited thinking for ya.

You can see how edgy Southgate's getting, shit game after shit game, no goals in 3 matches (save for the softest pen you'll see), and his team won't take risks.

I remember Hoddle's last match was a turgid 0-0 against some Arab side. Course he got fired for "them things I didn't say". Maybe they can string up Southgate for something, so we can all move on from this shitshow.

I'd forgotten the game was on as I was busy farming some legendary weapons on Borderlands 2 with the lad. Even when I was into football I had gotten increasingly angry at International football, the exception being when the shackles came off under Venables.

That all came crashing down when Southgate missed against ze Germans.

Southgate then took the money in that pizza advert, celebrating being a loser with the help of a bag over his head. If ever there was any such thing as a public humiliation ritual for the sake of some weird promotion to a higher position of influence further down the line, then that advert would qualify.

Quarter of a century later and he's a flag bearer for those who need us divided - despite being a nothing manager at club level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saved said:

I'd forgotten the game was on as I was busy farming some legendary weapons on Borderlands 2 with the lad. Even when I was into football I had gotten increasingly angry at International football, the exception being when the shackles came off under Venables.

That all came crashing down when Southgate missed against ze Germans.

Southgate then took the money in that pizza advert, celebrating being a loser with the help of a bag over his head. If ever there was any such thing as a public humiliation ritual for the sake of some weird promotion to a higher position of influence further down the line, then that advert would qualify.

Quarter of a century later and he's a flag bearer for those who need us divided - despite being a nothing manager at club level.

I was looking at the team Hoddle had in his final game, and guess who's in there. Yep, our man again. Interesting take above...I think you could be right about going through the humiliation in a way that would be "helpful" later. See also Beckham.

• Like 2

Hello folks been away for a couple of days so just catching up

Do they still 'take the knee' ? Don't have a telly so not caught sight of anything footy related for years

And more impoertantly are the youth sides doing it as well? If they are i find that abhorrent and well done  Hungary fans

On 6/11/2022 at 6:21 PM, Nemuri Kyoshiro said:

You might hate it even more. Mike Ashley is in advanced talks to buy Derby. Wherever there's a club in trouble, there's a predator waiting to pounce. As someone else said, football is no longer a sport, it's a commodity.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/11/mike-ashley-tells-derby-administrators-he-is-willing-and-ready-to-transact

Unfortunately you are spot on with the word 'commodity' and only set to get worse

18 hours ago, Saved said:

I watched it on a portable black and white television in a caravan somewhere in Torbay. Gemmill and Alan Rough stood out for different reasons.

Goodness me Saved thats flushed a memory out of the hole

I was about 8 or 9 and going on my first holiday with mum stepdad and sister, dad had borrowed the works transit and we had a wonky 4 berth tent and we went to Tenby in Wales,unfortunately on the way home dad blew the engine up on the tranny,no AA cover and going to take a week to get it fixed,this farmer allowed us to camp out in one of his fields and he was into his football.

Theres some really important match on and  me dad and farmer go into the barn to watch it on a crappy b & w telly and sitting on hay bales and he'd got his home brew out and they let me have a shandy which hit me like a brick...me and dad get back to the wonky tent and into those horrid nylon  sleeping bags

We woke up half in half out of the tent cos we'd pitched on a slope...wish i could remember what match it was...I'll have to ask him next time i speak to him !

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, whatthefoxhat said:

Hello folks been away for a couple of days so just catching up

Do they still 'take the knee' ? Don't have a telly so not caught sight of anything footy related for years

And more impoertantly are the youth sides doing it as well? If they are i find that abhorrent and well done  Hungary fans

Eng and Italy took the knee on Saturday, yeah. Though I'm noticing they do it very very quickly now. In fact, the player who got back up the quickest was Raheem Stirling. Maybe the players will get sick enough of Wokegate and his agenda and the shit results and negative tactics, and he will go.