Jump to content

Gareth Southgate says .. racism .. blah .. blah?


 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, Fluke said:

Who was the full/ back centre half about 39 for italy? Bald head massive bloke he seemed like a good character and leader. He pulled saka on his arse. Cant blame him, had to take one for the team but he risked a red as saka was last man. Didnt strike me as a nasty player though.

 

Chiellini? A total nutter, but would have him in my team in a heartbeat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Watched three games recently after not following the game for a couple of years. Not wanting to be a killjoy, I sat through them with a friend. I watched Liverpool vs Real Madrid, England vs Hungary, and England vs Germany. The experience made me want to drink.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Nemuri Kyoshiro said:

Went to Molineux for a 6th round replay in 1976. Wolves went 2-0 up but we staged an epic comeback and won 3-2. Wolves had Dougan, Richards, and Kindon in the team that night.

I was there that night and went to the first game at Old Trafford where it ended 1-1 and our keeper (Parkes) played the game of his life. Some Man United fans climbed up the pylons and some made it onto the roof of the South Bank - it was a time when gates were regularly crashed by away fans. Liverpool and Man United fans were notorious for doing so, but I guess they had by far the most fans in that era. I went to the Liverpool game at home that same season and there must have been an extra 15,000 in the ground as Liverpool went on to win the title and Wolves went down. I think the official attendance was around the 50,000 mark but there must have been well over 60,000 in Molineux that night - the South Bank was absolutely heaving as it was in the United game.

 

Because it was my life as a child, I tend to remember the smallest of details. Football (and cricket) were intrinsically entwined with my relationship with my dad. I think that might be one of the reasons why I detest what it has become because working class people have been priced out and kids have had something special taken from them. I have no chance of ever taking my son to the game except the club crashes like it did in the mid 1980s. Speaking of which, one of my favourite eras at Wolves was shortly after they nearly went bust and ended up almost going out of the league. We signed Steve Bull for £70k and he scored for fun as me and my mates went to places like Rochdale, Scarborough, Bury, Southend and the like. 

 

It was as if we were the Man United of the lower leagues; hated by everybody as our fans took over little grounds and Bully scored over 100 goals in two seasons. Happy days. Now we are owned by an arm of the Chinese Communist Party and but for a few thousand diehards have lost the soul of the club.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

All football matches look the bleedin same now. I can't even tell the mens games from the womens (apart from extra ponytails). I expect that's the idea.

Makes me scratch thee old noggin and think 'that tnucs just fell over and he's getting more than my house is worth a week' ....Where did it all go wrong ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Saved said:

I was there that night and went to the first game at Old Trafford where it ended 1-1 and our keeper (Parkes) played the game of his life. Some Man United fans climbed up the pylons and some made it onto the roof of the South Bank - it was a time when gates were regularly crashed by away fans. Liverpool and Man United fans were notorious for doing so, but I guess they had by far the most fans in that era. I went to the Liverpool game at home that same season and there must have been an extra 15,000 in the ground as Liverpool went on to win the title and Wolves went down. I think the official attendance was around the 50,000 mark but there must have been well over 60,000 in Molineux that night - the South Bank was absolutely heaving as it was in the United game.

 

Because it was my life as a child, I tend to remember the smallest of details. Football (and cricket) were intrinsically entwined with my relationship with my dad. I think that might be one of the reasons why I detest what it has become because working class people have been priced out and kids have had something special taken from them. I have no chance of ever taking my son to the game except the club crashes like it did in the mid 1980s. Speaking of which, one of my favourite eras at Wolves was shortly after they nearly went bust and ended up almost going out of the league. We signed Steve Bull for £70k and he scored for fun as me and my mates went to places like Rochdale, Scarborough, Bury, Southend and the like. 

 

It was as if we were the Man United of the lower leagues; hated by everybody as our fans took over little grounds and Bully scored over 100 goals in two seasons. Happy days. Now we are owned by an arm of the Chinese Communist Party and but for a few thousand diehards have lost the soul of the club.

 

Do you still have that away kit in the colours of the Portuguese national strip?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Saved said:

I was there that night and went to the first game at Old Trafford where it ended 1-1 and our keeper (Parkes) played the game of his life. Some Man United fans climbed up the pylons and some made it onto the roof of the South Bank - it was a time when gates were regularly crashed by away fans. Liverpool and Man United fans were notorious for doing so, but I guess they had by far the most fans in that era. I went to the Liverpool game at home that same season and there must have been an extra 15,000 in the ground as Liverpool went on to win the title and Wolves went down. I think the official attendance was around the 50,000 mark but there must have been well over 60,000 in Molineux that night - the South Bank was absolutely heaving as it was in the United game.

 

Because it was my life as a child, I tend to remember the smallest of details. Football (and cricket) were intrinsically entwined with my relationship with my dad. I think that might be one of the reasons why I detest what it has become because working class people have been priced out and kids have had something special taken from them. I have no chance of ever taking my son to the game except the club crashes like it did in the mid 1980s. Speaking of which, one of my favourite eras at Wolves was shortly after they nearly went bust and ended up almost going out of the league. We signed Steve Bull for £70k and he scored for fun as me and my mates went to places like Rochdale, Scarborough, Bury, Southend and the like. 

 

It was as if we were the Man United of the lower leagues; hated by everybody as our fans took over little grounds and Bully scored over 100 goals in two seasons. Happy days. Now we are owned by an arm of the Chinese Communist Party and but for a few thousand diehards have lost the soul of the club.

 

Steve Bull was an incredible player, the fact you never hear his name mentioned in mainstream circles these days is a travesty. The price he would command today would be astronomical, not that he would ever leave Wolves obviously.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

All football matches look the bleedin same now. I can't even tell the mens games from the womens (apart from extra ponytails). I expect that's the idea.

That's because of the lack of footballers. There's plenty of athletes who can kick a ball, but real footballers are thin on the ground.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Saved said:

I was there that night and went to the first game at Old Trafford where it ended 1-1 and our keeper (Parkes) played the game of his life. Some Man United fans climbed up the pylons and some made it onto the roof of the South Bank - it was a time when gates were regularly crashed by away fans. Liverpool and Man United fans were notorious for doing so, but I guess they had by far the most fans in that era. I went to the Liverpool game at home that same season and there must have been an extra 15,000 in the ground as Liverpool went on to win the title and Wolves went down. I think the official attendance was around the 50,000 mark but there must have been well over 60,000 in Molineux that night - the South Bank was absolutely heaving as it was in the United game.

 

Because it was my life as a child, I tend to remember the smallest of details. Football (and cricket) were intrinsically entwined with my relationship with my dad. I think that might be one of the reasons why I detest what it has become because working class people have been priced out and kids have had something special taken from them. I have no chance of ever taking my son to the game except the club crashes like it did in the mid 1980s. Speaking of which, one of my favourite eras at Wolves was shortly after they nearly went bust and ended up almost going out of the league. We signed Steve Bull for £70k and he scored for fun as me and my mates went to places like Rochdale, Scarborough, Bury, Southend and the like. 

 

It was as if we were the Man United of the lower leagues; hated by everybody as our fans took over little grounds and Bully scored over 100 goals in two seasons. Happy days. Now we are owned by an arm of the Chinese Communist Party and but for a few thousand diehards have lost the soul of the club.

My dad told me the tale of how Matt Busby signed Duncan Edwards when Stan Cullis, then Wolves manager, was odds-on favourite to sign him. The story goes that Cullis would often drop in on the Edwards's and have a cup of tea with the family. Matt and Jimmy Murphy drove down from Manchester and made sure that Stan wasn't in the vicinity. They knocked on the door and went in. A couple of hours later, Duncan had signed and Stan Cullis was seething. Now I was only a toddler when he was killed at Munich but my dad swore that had they lived, England would have been world champions in 1958, and not Brazil. Who knows?

 

The Football League at the time was run as the personal fiefdom of Alan Hardaker. He forbade Chelsea from playing in the inaugural European Cup and he tried the same on with us, but Busby stood firm. Anyway, on February  6th, 1958, we had to play the 2nd leg of the European Cup quarter-final in Belgrade, followed by a league match with Wolves on the Saturday, the 8th.  Hardaker insisted that United were back in England to play the game or lose points. The weather being what it was in Munich, United should have stayed over but Hardaker's threat was real so they decided to fly.

 

Hardaker introduced the League Cup which was so unpopular, that many 1st Division teams opted out. They had to move the final to Wembley and later award a UEFA Cup place to the winners before teams would play in it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Nemuri Kyoshiro said:

That's because of the lack of footballers. There's plenty of athletes who can kick a ball, but real footballers are thin on the ground.

I did actually see Steve Bull play at Wolves and goodness me that man was fearless on the pitch,a proper old school footballer and the polar opposite of the preened and pampered fairies that infest the grounds the length and breadth of the UK today

And don't get me started on Scottish football....pub teams that play in the pot  noodle league or whatever its called now ( I do quite like Inverness Caledonian Thistle...the team with the most letters in its name in all of UK  football)

I still hate it !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getting back to racism...my step uncle was 7 years older than me but a proper 1970's skinhead DM's levis, braces and listened to shit hot reggae tracks and a die hard Derby fan,He never went to the matches for the football he went for the aggro...He didn't give a monkeys what race creed or colour you were if your colours wern't black and white and you were up for a scrap he was in there...Then everyone went home for tea and sticky buns

Nobody cared years ago everyone got on

The msm is the biggest propagator of 'racism' and its doing so much damage

and Mr Southgate needs to shut the fuck up

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

being a villa fan, when i was 12 (early 80's) i won a shoot magazine competition for a football jersey of any team.

i waited ages and nothing turned up.

my dad sent a letter to the mag and a few weeks later i receive a villa top.

i am sure i receive a player issue shirt as

a: it was long sleeve and they didn't sell long sleeve shirts back then

b: it had the actual 3d manufacturer number on the back. again they never printed numbers on retail jerseys back then.

i've still got it, tatty a fk and many sizes too small after all these pies.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bamboozooka said:

being a villa fan, when i was 12 (early 80's) i won a shoot magazine competition for a football jersey of any team.

i waited ages and nothing turned up.

my dad sent a letter to the mag and a few weeks later i receive a villa top.

i am sure i receive a player issue shirt as

a: it was long sleeve and they didn't sell long sleeve shirts back then

b: it had the actual 3d manufacturer number on the back. again they never printed numbers on retail jerseys back then.

i've still got it, tatty a fk and many sizes too small after all these pies.

Pieabities gets us all in the end ! My sister had a dalliance with Mr Yorke got a great picture of my nipper when she was about 4 bouncing on the seats of his car and ragging 7 bells out of the upholstery in his open top Bmw like a feral cat whilst him and my sister stood there gobsmacked !!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, whatthefoxhat said:

Getting back to racism...my step uncle was 7 years older than me but a proper 1970's skinhead DM's levis, braces and listened to shit hot reggae tracks and a die hard Derby fan,He never went to the matches for the football he went for the aggro...He didn't give a monkeys what race creed or colour you were if your colours wern't black and white and you were up for a scrap he was in there...Then everyone went home for tea and sticky buns

Nobody cared years ago everyone got on

The msm is the biggest propagator of 'racism' and its doing so much damage

and Mr Southgate needs to shut the fuck up

I remember some good games against Derby. Wilf McGuinness managed us for a few months after Matt Busby retired. His last game in charge was at the Baseball Ground on Boxing Day 1970. It was freezing and had been snowing all week, and the pitch was like a skating rink. I don't know why the ref allowed it to go on but it was a fantastic game that ended 4-4. I know that Law scored two and Best and Kidd the others. Gemmill, Hector, Wignall, and Mackay scored for Derby. The heater on the coach going home wasn't working properly and so I spent a couple of hours in a hot bath when I got home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Nemuri Kyoshiro said:

I remember some good games against Derby. Wilf McGuinness managed us for a few months after Matt Busby retired. His last game in charge was at the Baseball Ground on Boxing Day 1970. It was freezing and had been snowing all week, and the pitch was like a skating rink. I don't know why the ref allowed it to go on but it was a fantastic game that ended 4-4. I know that Law scored two and Best and Kidd the others. Gemmill, Hector, Wignall, and Mackay scored for Derby. The heater on the coach going home wasn't working properly and so I spent a couple of hours in a hot bath when I got home.

I was there as well !! and me dad telling to run on the spot to keep warm I also remember getting my leg broken after queuing all night for tickets for some championship play off and an impromptu game of football broke out and was like a street brawl i was about 7 and got a reet dirty tackle after i'd scrapped to get at the ball...They took me into a house where a very nice lady looked aftr me till the amblance arrived and she had a wonderful little yorkshire terrier called Archie after Archie Gemmel,Another old school powerhouse on the pitch,Used to love seeing him go for it

Got reported in the Derby Evening Telegraph....i've had my 15 minutes of fame

I still hate football !

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

I remember that goal on TV in 78. And where the fuck were England at that time...think the qualifying system was a bit iffy...only 1 team got through in their QF group or something.

Italy qualified ahead of England on goal difference. Only one team from the group qualified as you say.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Southgate talking in the press today about walking away when he believes he can't take this team any further. 

 

No mate, if you had any decency at all, you'd have quit after the Euro 2020 final, and that disgraceful penalty farce.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, whatthefoxhat said:

I was there as well !! and me dad telling to run on the spot to keep warm I also remember getting my leg broken after queuing all night for tickets for some championship play off and an impromptu game of football broke out and was like a street brawl i was about 7 and got a reet dirty tackle after i'd scrapped to get at the ball...They took me into a house where a very nice lady looked aftr me till the amblance arrived and she had a wonderful little yorkshire terrier called Archie after Archie Gemmel,Another old school powerhouse on the pitch,Used to love seeing him go for it

Got reported in the Derby Evening Telegraph....i've had my 15 minutes of fame

I still hate football !

You might hate it even more. Mike Ashley is in advanced talks to buy Derby. Wherever there's a club in trouble, there's a predator waiting to pounce. As someone else said, football is no longer a sport, it's a commodity.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/11/mike-ashley-tells-derby-administrators-he-is-willing-and-ready-to-transact

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nemuri Kyoshiro said:

Italy qualified ahead of England on goal difference. Only one team from the group qualified as you say.

the Jocks were giving it large after they qualified and we didn't. Their world cup song even had a verse in it about England not being there. Scotland lost to Peru, drew with Iran, and beat Holland who made the final. They came home with their tails between their legs. A few years later, stories began to appear in the press about Scotland fans finally making it back home from Argentina having been stranded there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, whatthefoxhat said:

I was there as well !! and me dad telling to run on the spot to keep warm I also remember getting my leg broken after queuing all night for tickets for some championship play off and an impromptu game of football broke out and was like a street brawl i was about 7 and got a reet dirty tackle after i'd scrapped to get at the ball...They took me into a house where a very nice lady looked aftr me till the amblance arrived and she had a wonderful little yorkshire terrier called Archie after Archie Gemmel,Another old school powerhouse on the pitch,Used to love seeing him go for it

Got reported in the Derby Evening Telegraph....i've had my 15 minutes of fame

I still hate football !

Six years later, we played you in the FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough. We were jammed into the Leppings Lane end but we had most of the Kop end too. Gordon Hill scored twice to take us through but the atmosphere that day was electric. We still talk about that game today, but not so much the final. Wembley in those days was another world. The old place was magical and there were no corporate sponsors, no adverts all over the shirts, and ticket allocations were pretty fair. It was a real occasion.

 

My best memories are from 1966 onward. My dad took me to see Brazil playing at Goodison Park against Bulgaria and Portugal. Players like Eusebio, Pele, Garrincha, and Torres were amazing to watch. We went to the QF game between Portugal and North Korea which was one of the best games I ever saw. After that, the 1968 European Cup final was an experience never to be forgotten. Most of my class wagged school to go to that one.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...