Quatar - Workers Rights - Heatstroke or Cardiac Arrest?

Observations

BBC News Feature:

A BBC news Arabic investigation has uncovered allegations that the Gulf state is underreporting the number of migrant workers who've died of heat stroke.

The Gulf is heating up at twice the global average rate.

There are over 14 million migrant workers in the region most from Asia and Africa.

In 2015 Dhan Bahadur Magar left Nepal to go to work in the Gulf. His wife said "We talked every day, every time we chatted he was always sweating. The heat made his nose bleed. His friend found him writhing in pain, and rushed him to hospital where he was pronounced dead of cardiac arrest'.

In the last 15 years more than 2000 Nepali workers have died in Quatar alone. Of 571 deaths over 8 years due to cardiac arrest, up to 200 were probably caused by heatstress, which is preventable.

The department of labour said "Work during the summer is completely forbidden ... Any company making people work outside in the middle of the day could be sanctioned and compensation paid"

But raising concerns can be dangerous;

One worker who complained about labour laws being broken was jailed.

https://noaharticulates.medium.com/msheireb-laid-bare-3b93594d4885 - Malcolm's Blog

Malcolm from Kenya, guarded buildings for a charity linked to the Quatar royal family. He says;

"I wrote an article just describing what happened, just the reality of the day to day conditions. My company handed me over to the authorities, they thought I was working with foreign agents to spread disinformation, and spoil the name of Quatar.

For the first two weeks I had no contact with anyone I was blind folded, handcuffed". After a month in solitary confinement and a 6800 dollar fine, Malcolm is now back home in Kenya.

Companies must assess heat risk, provide cold water, shade and breaks, and are fined if found in breech.

We asked the Quatar government about the case and the allegation that they are under reporting heat deaths, they didn't respond. 

With the football world cup coming up in Quatar all eyes will be on them to see have workers are kept safe in this ever increasing heat.

• Like 1

A lot of these people who are set-up with false promises are lured by agents in their own countries...

It doesn't take the blame away, but it does make people in their own countries somewhat responsible for exploiting and ultimately killing their own people so they can profit.

Indians for instance, will do or say anything....to fulfil their own commission....but they don't seem to think it matters that they follow up on what you signed up for.

Just something I have noticed from dealing with the Indian subcontinent.... 

It's another world out there........ and is one reason they will never achieve anything like true human civilisation..

There is little to no business integrity or trust throughout the third-world and this is unlikely to change because the source-code just isn't there.

Edited by Edgewood

They might lure you in with No Tax situation but I don't bother with Arabic/Muslim countries, exception of India/Pakistan where there is a mixture of Hindu.... to me their law is barbaric. It just a choice.

4 hours ago, Observations said:

BBC News Feature:

A BBC news Arabic investigation has uncovered allegations that the Gulf state is underreporting the number of migrant workers who've died of heat stroke.

The Gulf is heating up at twice the global average rate.

There are over 14 million migrant workers in the region most from Asia and Africa.

In 2015 Dhan Bahadur Magar left Nepal to go to work in the Gulf. His wife said "We talked every day, every time we chatted he was always sweating. The heat made his nose bleed. His friend found him writhing in pain, and rushed him to hospital where he was pronounced dead of cardiac arrest'.

In the last 15 years more than 2000 Nepali workers have died in Quatar alone. Of 571 deaths over 8 years due to cardiac arrest, up to 200 were probably caused by heatstress, which is preventable.

The department of labour said "Work during the summer is completely forbidden ... Any company making people work outside in the middle of the day could be sanctioned and compensation paid"

But raising concerns can be dangerous;

One worker who complained about labour laws being broken was jailed.

https://noaharticulates.medium.com/msheireb-laid-bare-3b93594d4885 - Malcolm's Blog

Malcolm from Kenya, guarded buildings for a charity linked to the Quatar royal family. He says;

"I wrote an article just describing what happened, just the reality of the day to day conditions. My company handed me over to the authorities, they thought I was working with foreign agents to spread disinformation, and spoil the name of Quatar.

For the first two weeks I had no contact with anyone I was blind folded, handcuffed". After a month in solitary confinement and a 6800 dollar fine, Malcolm is now back home in Kenya.

Companies must assess heat risk, provide cold water, shade and breaks, and are fined if found in breech.

We asked the Quatar government about the case and the allegation that they are under reporting heat deaths, they didn't respond. 

With the football world cup coming up in Quatar all eyes will be on them to see have workers are kept safe in this ever increasing heat.

Thanks for starting this thread because I was alerted to this exploitation a few years ago.

2013 film about the workers who built the 2022 World Cup Stadium in Doha, Qatar.

It makes me sick to think of all the crony billionaires, sponsers, politicians, royalty etc who will cheer along in the VIP stands this year, not giving
a damn about exploited people anywhere the world.

Edited by Golden Retriever
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Golden Retriever said:

Thanks for starting this thread because I was alerted to this exploitation a few years ago.

2013 film about the workers who built the 2022 World Cup Stadium in Doha, Qatar.

It makes me sick to think of all the crony billionaires, sponsers, politicians, royalty etc who will cheer along in the VIP stands this year, not giving
a damn about exploited people anywhere the world.

Thanks Golden Retriever; I'll watch that now. 

I understand, there's only so much we can focus on.

I must say the first thing to catch my attention was the mention of cardiac arrest. Then Malcolm who despite his fears eventually shared his experiences in a blog, and was accused of disinformation and imprisoned. 

We can relate to the essence of so much of this. 

Matt Le Tissier; I've been glad to have him onside during covidmania, I'll have a look and see what he's sharing too. 

• Like 1