What is a belief and why are they so powerful?

Mr H

In my experience, I have seen either first or second hand, people kill other people because of beliefs, live their lives based on beliefs, made themselves ill because of beliefs and have cured themselves of serious illness via change of beliefs. So it is apparent first to me, that belief can be a very powerful thing effecting people's lives. So what are beliefs?

I am not too interested in the description of the belief rather the substance. 

But to note, the dictionary defines a belief as "an acceptance that something exists or is true especially without proof."

Personally I would distinguish here between knowing and a belief. Knowing being that there is supportable evidence and belief being that there is not. But hey, who am I to change the English language?

But this is all abstractions. What is beliefs made of? 

The only way I can describe it is if we choose to look at ourselves as a computer system. Thoughts are like software, and beliefs seems to be an inception point or a collective point in the circuit, where pools of thoughts - wherever they come from - are attracted to. It's like a magnetic point for thoughts to head towards, and can then quickly process and summarize all those many thoughts into a more condensed and concentrated "thought".

But I would like to hear how others describe what beliefs are?

My other question is, is it neccessary to live with any beliefs at all?

As I define beliefs and how the dictionary largely implies what a belief is - it is based on no evidence. Isn't it kinda of silly to believe something and act without any evidence at all? Yet on the otherside, we can see that even though they are deemed to be no evidence for a belief to be true, it can lead to powerful results - if you are trying to achieve an outcome. But this in some way to me is a manipulation of truth. The only way I could reconcile this is by having the distinction between belief and knowing - to me seems a more honest approach. And the dictionary definition does allow room for me to use the two in combination. I believe x because I KNOW Y. Rather than I believe x but I have no knowledge or evidence of it.

So yeah I'm not sure where I am going with this but I had the desire to start the conversation about what you thought beliefs are, how you define them, how you use them, what they are made of etc and appreciate your views.

44 minutes ago, Mr H said:

What is beliefs made of? 

ALL IS THOUGHT-ENERGY.

45 minutes ago, Mr H said:

BELIEF IS LESS THAN 100% CONFIDENT.
KNOWING IS 100% CONFIDENT.

WE ARE PROGRAMMED TO BELIEVE WHAT IS NOT. WHICH IS THE SOURCE OF OUR DOUBT.
WHEN WE ARE DEPROGRAMMED WE KNOW WHAT IS WITH 100% CONFIDENCE.

💜

ALIGNMENT
WHAT I KNOW IS

WHAT ACTUALLY IS

MENTAL ILLNESS

• WHAT I BELIEVE
  • GUESSWORK
  • DOUBT

50 minutes ago, Mr H said:

NO.

EITHER YOU KNOW. OR YOU DO NOT KNOW. IS BEST.

WHY BELIEVE?

THINK VERTICALLY.

For example, "I do not know", is knowing what is, if you do not know. Confidence is all about knowing what is.

BELIEF

MENTAL ILLNESS

"I believe it to be raining?"

"Look out the fucking window! Is it raining? Or is it not raining?"

MENTAL HEALTH

"I do not know if it is raining." (100% CONFIDENT)

< LOOKS OUTSIDE >

"I know it is not raining." (100% CONFIDENT)

🤍

17 minutes ago, tommydrifter said:

KNOWING IS 100% CONFIDENT.

100% confident doesn't mean correct. Recently I witnessed a hit and run accident and was 100% convinced the car was red. It was blue. During the time when I was waiting to be questioned I was in a driveway with a red car in the corner! It was only when we found the wing mirror and it was blue that I realised my mind was playing tricks.

The mantra 'question everything' should always apply to oneself.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

You were over-confident in your perceptive faculties which convinced you Red was Blue. You must have experienced feelings of doubt, but, perhaps you were not aware of those feelings. Indeed, you did not know: you believed

Because God-Mind was Aware that Blue was Blue while you were distracted.

Edited by tommydrifter
minor changes

5 hours ago, Mr H said:

In my experience, I have seen either first or second hand, people kill other people because of beliefs, live their lives based on beliefs, made themselves ill because of beliefs and have cured themselves of serious illness via change of beliefs. So it is apparent first to me, that belief can be a very powerful thing effecting people's lives. So what are beliefs?

I am not too interested in the description of the belief rather the substance. 

But to note, the dictionary defines a belief as "an acceptance that something exists or is true especially without proof."

Personally I would distinguish here between knowing and a belief. Knowing being that there is supportable evidence and belief being that there is not. But hey, who am I to change the English language?

But this is all abstractions. What is beliefs made of? 

The only way I can describe it is if we choose to look at ourselves as a computer system. Thoughts are like software, and beliefs seems to be an inception point or a collective point in the circuit, where pools of thoughts - wherever they come from - are attracted to. It's like a magnetic point for thoughts to head towards, and can then quickly process and summarize all those many thoughts into a more condensed and concentrated "thought".

As I define beliefs and how the dictionary largely implies what a belief is - it is based on no evidence. Isn't it kinda of silly to believe something and act without any evidence at all? Yet on the otherside, we can see that even though they are deemed to be no evidence for a belief to be true, it can lead to powerful results - if you are trying to achieve an outcome. But this in some way to me is a manipulation of truth. The only way I could reconcile this is by having the distinction between belief and knowing - to me seems a more honest approach. And the dictionary definition does allow room for me to use the two in combination. I believe x because I KNOW Y. Rather than I believe x but I have no knowledge or evidence of it.

So yeah I'm not sure where I am going with this but I had the desire to start the conversation about what you thought beliefs are, how you define them, how you use them, what they are made of etc and appreciate your views.

Personally I would distinguish here between knowing and a belief.

An assumed construct..

Potential for an exchange with something non-human. 

It means when something is demonstrated that you don't expect, that doesn't match anything known. That has not yet been simulated, not even as a pictorial construct,and what cannot be replicated. 

Belief~Is provided and this does not mean that the original principles of beliefs originate from humans.

It first starts with assumptions about what it could be, then it is compared with what is described by others. Then you will think it must apply to something familiar. You have the belief that you understand and how you can approach it. You are projecting a known thing onto an unknown phenomenon.

Then comes disbelief~...

Demonstrations become more and more sophisticated and start to contradict what others are saying. You start to divide it into different pattern

categories. Then comes the next stage that something becomes visible that you did not imagine. You perceive that it is a progressive learning experience. You leave behind the known world view that originates from the others. Fragmentary patterns merge into larger and larger clusters.

Knowing~

You know they don't know. And you know why. You are surprised to find that although you know something that will inevitably lead you to new and more complex questions. And you know that there is no one here who can answer any of these questions.

It is not, otherwise there is nothing left for you to dream about. Knowing and belief comes from the same source. For some knowing is more important for others it is belief.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 9:09 AM, Mr H said:

So what are beliefs?

Rather than 'beliefs', which would imply the mind, I'd say humans are moved by emotion and the 'knowingness' and conviction of that emotion.

Edited by atenea

On 6/12/2022 at 11:44 PM, atenea said:

Rather than 'beliefs', which would imply the mind, I'd say humans are moved by emotion and the 'knowingness' and conviction of that emotion.

Yes I think thoughts and emotions kind of work in tandem.

• Like 1