How Superstitious are you ?

alexa

I used to be very superstitious from black cats, ladders, umbrellas, magpies etc etc.

What's your superstitions & why? 🐈‍⬛ 🪜☂️

Did you ever forget to be superstitious then something happened? 

Posted (edited)

Not superstitious at all, mate. I have some obsessive-compulsive issues, for sure. I tie my brain into a tight knot with obsessive thinking and self-doubt -- but not one superstition. I see superstition as irrational and kind of stupid, really.

💙

Edited by tommydrifter
punctuation

Just to follow up on that. If you are superstitious, you need to stop being stupid, and study mathematics and science to ground your thinking. Remember it is all about balance. You need a balanced mind to see what is what. I know Icke says you are wasting your time studying algebra but mathematics does encourage and cultivate the ability to think logically. I find, personally, in the woowoo that it can pull you into irrationality, and insanity, if you are not careful. Free advice on the internet. Take it or leave it.

💙

Just to follow up on that. When choosing who to pay close attention to for truthful information, look for a person whose mind is well-balanced. A person who is balanced in their brain between reason and intuition is likely to be thinking straight. A person of one extreme or the other is likely to be a bullshitter: too closed-minded or too open-minded. I also pay close attention to any person with practical knowledge and practical abilities because then I know they are grounded.

If you are superstitious, you are not thinking straight, your mind is out of balance. You need to develop your reasoning abilities -- otherwise, magical thinking will make you vulnerable to mind-manipulation. What we want, what we need, is less stupid people and more less stupid people. 

💙

SUPERSTITION IS NONSENSE. IT IS NONSENSICAL TO BE SUPERSTITIOUS. IT IS IDIOTIC AND IMMATURE. IT IS BEYOND CHILDISH. LOOK FOR COMMON SENSE IN PEOPLE. LOOK FOR GROUNDED HUMANS TO HELP YOU, GUIDE YOU. FLASHY IS FLASHY TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION, TO FOCUS YOUR AWARENESS ON WHAT IS NOT. IT IS MISDIRECTION. THERE IS NO REASON TO BE SUPERSTITIOUS. KNOW WHAT IS WHAT.

I am just going to keep posting. Just ban me for spamming so I can go do my chores, get something to eat. I am just some guy who is very embarrassed right now. I am not sure if I am making this up or if I am channeling it. Take it or leave it. It won't let me not. Right now I can't physically move -- I could, but I feel that it would be a bad idea, if that makes sense. In my own opinion, some of it is my own bullshit and some it is from a higher source, or at least, a different source. Hopefully, if allowed to continue, I will get better at it. (It won't let me not post this.)

10 minutes ago, Itsa said:

One for sorrow

Two for joy

Three for a girl

Four for a boy

Five for silver

Six for gold

Seven for a secret never to be told.

7-16-1-5-15-3-57m.jpg

And if you see one on it's own, salute it.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From 'Blood Brothers' ...

SHOES UPON THE TABLE
AN' A SPIDER'S BEEN KILLED.

SOMEONE BROKE THE LOOKIN' GLASS
A FULL MOON SHININ'
AN' THE SALT'S BEEN SPILLED.

YOU'RE WALKIN' ON THE PAVEMENT CRACKS
DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GONNA COME TO PASS.

NOW Y' KNOW THE DEVIL'S GOT YOUR NUMBER,
Y' KNOW HE'S GONNA FIND Y',
Y' KNOW HE'S RIGHT BEHIND Y',
HE'S STARIN' THROUGH YOUR WINDOWS
HE'S CREEPING DOWN THE HALL.

If you receive a knife as a present, you should always give the giver a penny cus if you don't this means death to the you.

I remember the queen doing this after receiving a knife as a gift from some Arabian king.

More Magpies.

However, before the spread of Christianity the magpie was an important symbolic bird often associated with good luck or fortune. The Romans, for example, believed that the magpie was highly intelligent with excellent reasoning abilities, and in Ancient Greece magpies were sacred to Bacchus the god of wine.

Further afield some tribes of Native Americans believed that wearing a magpie feather was a sign of fearlessness, while others considered the magpie to be a sacred messenger of the creator, or even a guardian with shamanic properties.

https://www.birdspot.co.uk/culture/magpies-and-superstition

But the Church viewed the magpie very differently, insisting that it was the only bird not to weep or comfort Jesus during his crucifixion or go into a proper period of mourning because of its pied plumage. From this grew a number of superstations around magpies and the stories in the bible.

In the 19th century a vicar reported one of his servants explaining that the magpie was the only bird not to enter Noah’s ark, preferring to sit outside chattering and swearing in the pouring rain. Another tale from the same era says that the magpie is a hybrid between the raven and the dove and therefore the only bird not to have been baptised.

It was also the Church that started the rumour that magpies carry a drop of the devil’s blood in their tongues. If you were to cut the tongue to release the blood then the magpie would be capable of human speech.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 2:27 PM, Mr H said:

I will never walk under a ladder

that's quite practical though because there is always a chance that the person up the ladder might accidentally drop something on your head or you might knock the ladder. It was probably an old instruction for apprentices back on the wooden scaffolds of the great cathedrals not to walk under ladders when someone was on them

Hunch backs. Have to rub their backs. I did it on the 33 bus a couple of weeks ago caused nothing but agro. As I walked down the street a lovely kind lady was gesturing with her hand. Think she was offering to wank me off. 

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2022 at 6:33 AM, Itsa said:

Never wash on new years day

or you will wash a life away

elderly-woman-hanging-out-washing-terrac

OMG! there is actually an instructional video on how to hang out washing 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WThSXZhH1h0

As my wife will testify, our kids need to see that on YouTube and learn to take their dirty sports kit out of the bag and put it in the washing machine. 

• Haha 1

No not superstitous which is a good job -

13 January - my birthdate

13 March - my daughters birthdate (2013)

13 October - my sons birthdate  

Thats 1, 3, 10 and 13

My eldest dsughter is 23 Sept - Wisdom

If I was superstitous I might be feaking out

Oh, and Mediumship runs in our family.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pi3141 said:

No not superstitous which is a good job -

13 January - my birthdate

13 March - my daughters birthdate (2013)

13 October - my sons birthdate  

Thats 1, 3, 10 and 13

My eldest dsughter is 23 Sept - Wisdom

If I was superstitous I might be feaking out

Oh, and Mediumship runs in our family.

Judas was the 12th apostle.

Not a good number.

13 would be his replacement.

So 13 isn't actually such a bad number.

I'm sure that OCCULTISTS hate the 13 though

• 1 month later...

Crows And Ravens. 1

The symbolism connected with crows is complex and contextual. Something about these exceptional birds has cast them as important figures in the mythologies and traditions of several cultures worldwide. Although their connection with death persists, likely due to their scavenging behavior with regards to carrion, crows are now recognized as symbols of insight, intellect, curiosity

https://worldbirds.com/crow-symbolism/

The Raven And Crow Of The Celts-Part 1: Myth And Legend

https://livinglibraryblog.com/the-raven-and-crow-of-the-celts-part-i-myth-and-legend/

260px-Woman_with_a_Raven_(Die_Frau_mit_d

The Woman With The Raven At The Abyss. Caspar David Friedrich 1801

During his time as Ulster’s champion, Cuchulainn was challenged by many men over the years, and over the years, he killed all who challenged him. One of the men he struck down was called Calatan, and he was a great sorcerer. He left behind a pregnant wife, who gave birth to sextuplets: three girls and three boys. She raised all of her children with all the arts of druidry and sorcery, and instilled in them that they were to avenge their father’s death as soon as they were old enough.

https://bardmythologies.com/the-death-of-cuchulainn/

170px-Cuinbattle.jpg

The Morrígan was an Irish goddess of death, destiny, and battle. A trio of sisters who could take the form of a single goddess, she was the keeper of fate and a purveyor of prophecy.

The raven ravenous

Among corpses of men

Affliction and outcry

And war everlasting

Raging over Cúailgne

Death of sons

Death of kinsmen

Death! Death!

https://mythopedia.com/topics/morrigan

https://www.novareinna.com/guard/morrigan.html

• Thanks 1

Crows And Ravens 2.

North America.

Native American symbols are geometric portrayals of celestial bodies, natural phenomena and animal designs. The meaning of the Crow symbol signifies wisdom. According to Native American legends and myths some tribes believed that the Crow had the power to talk and was therefore considered to be one of the wisest of birds. The sacred bird of the famous Ghost Dance was the crow.

sioux-indian-ghost-dance.jpg

https://www.warpaths2peacepipes.com/native-american-symbols/crow-symbol.htm

How The Crow Came To Be Black

A Brule Sioux Legend.

In days gone past, when the earth and the people on it were still young, all crows were white as snow.

https://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/How-The-Crow-Came-To-Be-Black-Sioux.html

LENNI LENAPE ARCHIVES
When the Animals Left Lenapé Land

Long ago, there was a time when the animals disappeared from Lenape'hokink, Land of the Lenapé. No one could figure out where they had gone. So, finally, the Chiefs sent out the very best of their hunters to see if they could find any animals, but they came back with disturbing news. Not one track had they found! It seemed as if the animals had completely vanished from their lands!

https://www.nativeamericanembassy.net/www.lenni-lenape.com/www/html/LenapeArchives/LenapeSet-01/animleft.html

Excerpt from a book written by James Alexander Throm called: The Red Heart.

“The Rainbow Crow was beautiful to hear and to see, back in the days when it never got cold, back in the Ancient Days, before Snow Spirit appeared in the World.
When the Snow Spirit did appear, all the people and animals were freezing and a messenger was selected to go up to kijilamuh ka’ong, The Creator Who Creates By Thinking What Will Be. The messenger was to ask The Creator to think of the World as being warm again so that they would not all freeze to death.

http://www.snowwowl.com/rlcrow.html

What is Crow Medicine?

Crow medicine or as the Cherokee call it, Koga Nvwati, gives us the ability to make decisions, open ourselves to change and experience magic in the world around us. The crow is a shapeshifter, thought to dwell in both the physical and the spiritual world simultaneously.

Their message offers insight into our core beliefs and values. They have known darkness and are willing to guide us through our own in order to bring us to a higher perspective. When crow appears in your life, it may be that you are at a crossroad.

crow_native_american.webp

https://fractalenlightenment.com/38167/culture/a-look-at-the-powerful-native-american-crow-medicine

The Religion Of The Crow Indians

Robert. H. Lowie.

https://archive.org/details/religionofcrowin00lowi/mode/2up

religionofcrowin00lowi_0001.jp2&id=relig

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Blackbird Superstition And Mythology

The spirit of the Blackbird may either be a welcoming sign or one which brings bad news. These dark birds signify mystery and magic, and are thought to represent the Otherworlds (Borrington). As black is the color of mysteries, magic and death – it may encourage dark associations of death – messengers that may haunt the soul, or a curiosity into the mystical elements of the animal and spirit realms. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVqbbSCro6JLXgwD33P81

With the Blackbird as our guide, we learn that mystery is always amongst us and is a natural part of our world. We can never know what might happen in life and so must be adaptable and somewhat protective of ourselves and our loved ones. 

Therefore, the Blackbird suggests to us that we can choose to make the most out of all our situations, not being discouraged by life’s circumstances that seem to present darkness or fear. Instead, if we gather all our senses, we can decipher our way through the obscurity and find a solution.

Blackbird Native American Symbolism

Blackbird symbolism is found in various Native American cultures. One understanding of those groups native to the Plains areas, the Arikara and Mandans, is of the link and service to the spiritual Mother of Corn. Blackbirds were used as a feedback to how well they were managing their lands, crops and paying sufficient dues to the spirits associated with these life-giving activities. If blackbirds decimated the crops of the Sioux then they would be compelled to perform rituals to appease the guardians of the corn (Redish).  

Other Native cultures, like the Hopi and the Cherokee, have considered the Blackbird as a connector to the underworld and to your true self. For these groups, the Blackbird is a Power Animal that can help you go deeper within yourself (Redish). 

For the Chikasaw, Blackbirds receive the high title of being considered clan animals. While others used Blackbird medicine for Arapaho Sun Dance and divination rituals and their feathers and eggs for fortune telling (Redish).

Blackbird Christianity Symbolism

In the famous Anglo-Christian Christmas carol, ‘The Twelve Days of Christmas’, the ‘Four Calling Birds’ gifted on the Fourth Day are assumed to have been Blackbirds. Although they are not explicitly named unlike other bird species in the carol, we can assume based on the knowledge of the original lyrics. The word ‘Calling’ has actually been changed from ‘Colly’ which means ‘black as coal or soot’. 

The meaning of the song verses was thought to be depicting the Catholic doctrine – Christ represented by the Partridge for example, however, the precise intention remains disputed and unknown.

Blackbird Celtic Symbolism

Within the Celtic groups, the Blackbird represented the Underworld and was connected with the God and Spirit realm. Blackbirds had a sinister magical ability to send people to the grave, whilst also having such a beautiful song that it could bring the dead back to life.

The Blackbird is often grouped with other black birds such as crows and ravens in folkloric tales. Birds were considered to hold a great deal of prophetic ability and were able to share communications with the Divine.

These myths are present in the stories of Goddess Queen Rhiannon, who considered the Blackbird to be an ancient creature that understood the nature of history and time. It is said that this Celtic Queen had herself three birds that lived with her on the Happy Isle of the Blessed and sang to her continuously, giving her great joy (Borrington). 

Blackbirds in Dreams

It would be a wonderful thing to have singing Blackbirds in your dreams. There must be good news on the way to you as there could not possibly be anything sinister or troubling abound when this bird sings its sweet songs.  

A Blackbird, silently present in your sleep, may on the other hand, indicate something else, as it alludes to ancient magic and untapped potentials. It may mean that you’re lacking some kind of motivation or energy in your life, possibly pertaining to unfinished projects or other goals.

In the same way that the Blackbird was associated with temptation and lust within Christian cultures, so too can seeing a Blackbird in your dream be a manifestation of this kind of unmet energy in your life. The Blackbird has for long been the trickster, and so they may also be representing their good spirit in this way to share an important message with you.

Christian/Jewish Mythology: 

The religious texts of these cultural groups do not portray the Blackbird in a positive light, linking it with lustful pleasures and desires. In one Biblical story, Saint Benedict was given temptations by the devil, disguised as a blackbird. With only a white bird considered pure, one Jewish tale creates distance from the Blackbird when saying: “he who has sinned and changed his way, becoming the light in darkness.

Egyptian Mythology: 

The ancient culture of Egypt considered the Blackbird as a representative of the great cycles of life. With the Blackbirds coming and going every year, seemingly dying out and being reborn, they associated this bird with the sacredness of rebirth and renewal.

Japanese Mythology: 

The Blackbird in Japan has been associated with the God Izanagi and was thought to help guide souls to heaven or to their next incarnation. They were considered to be good luck signs especially for happy marriages but not if they were to make a surprise appearance at your doorstep.

https://worldbirds.com/blackbird-symbolism/

Sing a song of sixpence, a pocket full of rye,

Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie.

When the pie was opened the birds began to sing.

Wasn’t that a dainty dish to set before the king?

Sing a Song of Sixpence

The Mysterious Origins of Nursery Rhymes

https://medium.com/linguist/sing-a-song-of-sixpence-9beff05cf2f0

September Harvest Moon: The Horse, Rhiannon and Blackbirds

https://earthwisdomearthscience.com/2020/09/02/september-harvest-moon-the-horse-rhiannon-and-blackbirds/

A beautiful photograph by Nigel Borrington.

blackbird-woodlands-county-kilkenny-nige

Blackbirds are, for some people, considered a good omen. Others believe that the Blackbird brings the lessons learned in meditation. It is also associated with travel to the Otherworld and the mysteries found there. Blackbird people are good to call upon when spiritual matters are at hand, and often, while rare, they are the best people to have when in a group.

The blackbirds iridescent black plumage holds the energies of mysticism and magic. Druid legends say that the birds of Rhiannan are 3 blackbirds which sit and sing in the World tree of other worlds. Their singing puts the listener into a sleep or a trance which enables him or her to travel to the otherworld. It was said to impart mystic secrets.

https://nigelborrington.com/tag/blackbird/

The nightingale has a lyre of gold,
The lark’s is a clarion call,
And the blackbird plays but a boxwood flute,
But I love him best of all.

For his song is all of the joy of life,
And we in the mad, spring weather,
We two have listened till he sang
Our hearts and lips together.

By : William Ernest Henley.

• Like 1