6/6/2022

Anniversary of D-Day. All those lives lost on the beaches that day in 1944 and nary a word in the press. I don't suppose there are too many surviving veterans of that battle left alive, but when I was a kid, we always paused to remember those who fell. Instead, we get treated to the bloody royals, Cliff Richard, Paul Gambaccini, and others from pop culture. If those men had known what the country would turn in to, they would have never have jumped off the landing craft.

• Like 1

Yeah, very odd how the D-Day anniversary was pretty much ignored by UK media. Euronews covered it prominently, most likely due to its location in France and because they are not obsessed with the machinations of Westminster (though they gave far too much airtime to the fucking Joobylee for my money).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Nemuri Kyoshiro said:

Anniversary of D-Day. All those lives lost on the beaches that day in 1944 and nary a word in the press. I don't suppose there are too many surviving veterans of that battle left alive, but when I was a kid, we always paused to remember those who fell. Instead, we get treated to the bloody royals, Cliff Richard, Paul Gambaccini, and others from pop culture. If those men had known what the country would turn in to, they would have never have jumped off the landing craft.

Careful what you wish for. They have no issues with keeping Brits under control with low IQ bulldog nationalism. We marched millions off to die so we could march millions in later. They want us to keep simping for Churchillian fvkers that hate us.

They fought for what they believed in at the time. There were deceived and manipulated to express their strength and courage for the wrong people. They were genuine, but misdirected.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld

51 minutes ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

Careful what you wish for. They have no issues with keeping Brits under control with low IQ bulldog nationalism. We marched millions off to die so we could march millions in later. They want us to keep simping for Churchillian fvkers that hate us.

They fought for what they believed in at the time. There were deceived and manipulated to express their strength and courage for the wrong people. They were genuine, but misdirected.

My belief has always been the real reason why ordinary people "go off to war to fight for their country" is because it was a choice of a) go fight and do as you are told, b) get sent to prison and the ridicule, or c) get shot there and then on the spot.  So most chose option A!  Fuck all to do with the patriotic bullshit they come out with!

Back to the thread topic: I don't think anything will happen on that date, Gregorian calendar numbers are meaningless, other parts of the world use different calendars on that day and don't generate the number "666"!

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Nefaria said:

My belief has always been the real reason why ordinary people "go off to war to fight for their country" is because it was a choice of a) go fight and do as you are told, b) get sent to prison and the ridicule, or c) get shot there and then on the spot.  So most chose option A!  Fuck all to do with the patriotic bullshit they come out with!

Depends if there is a threat of being conquered, and if the populace cares about defending their homeland. Obviously most westerners today are deracinated hyperindividualistic consumers, so I wouldn't expect them to understand what motivated our forefathers. By todays standards, most people in the past would be right-wing extremists, and they would be angry AF.

Edit: and my bad for going off-topic.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

Depends if there is a threat of being conquered, and if the populace cares about defending their homeland. Obviously most westerners today are deracinated hyperindividualistic consumers, so I wouldn't expect them to understand what motivated our forefathers. By todays standards, most people in the past would be right-wing extremists, and they would be angry AF.

Edit: and my bad for going off-topic.

You make a very good point, but a lot of the wars today aren't about us being "conquered", they are purely about furthering the goals of the elite few, shame so many people can't see that, and it's always the poorest that suffer and have to go and do the fighting.

• Like 1