Why you belong in the world

In this video Master Gregory discusses the topic of belonging in the world. How you innately belong in the world and it's the socialization structures that we need to question and our desire to seek external validation outside of ourselves. 

You belong here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr H said:

In this video Master Gregory discusses the topic of belonging in the world. How you innately belong in the world and it's the socialization structures that we need to question and our desire to seek external validation outside of ourselves. 

You belong here!

I can honestly say, hand on heart, I have never felt a sense of "belonging" anywhere, even in my own family. I have occasionally observed similar phenomena in others; people I knew in the past, one particular "spiritual teacher" I follow on youtube who claims to not belong anywhere, but for the most part, people fit into groups by suppressing aspects of themselves which would be considered unacceptable to the group. There really isn't much more to it than that. It's why cognitive dissonance and a scaled down version of multiple personality disorder is so common in people; they have to be inauthentic in order to retain a comfortable level of social approval.

True integrity and true individuality come at a huge price and it isn't a price that most people are interested in paying.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ethel said:

I can honestly say, hand on heart, I have never felt a sense of "belonging" anywhere, even in my own family. 

Not a feeling I would like to give to others but also a feeling I think everyone needs to experience at some point? A very strange mixed bag but with insight other experiences don't get. I guess we are all here to experience different perspectives yet culture/society/people judge difference as negative, often quite readily. Being a genuine free-thinking individual in this climate is truly challenging, but it is its own reward in many cases also.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheConsultant said:

Not a feeling I would like to give to others but also a feeling I think everyone needs to experience at some point? A very strange mixed bag but with insight other experiences don't get. I guess we are all here to experience different perspectives yet culture/society/people judge difference as negative, often quite readily. Being a genuine free-thinking individual in this climate is truly challenging, but it is its own reward in many cases also.

I couldn't agree more, I have gained access to certain insights I never would have acquired if I had been in with the in crowd. Whatever that mean.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ethel said:

I couldn't agree more, I have gained access to certain insights I never would have acquired if I had been in with the in crowd. Whatever that mean.

Very true actually in terms of belonging to societal gps. I have been the same in that sense, often the outsider from a young age due to my height and ethnicity originally, then when I walked the spiritual path when no one else I knew was. And it has had some benefit as you mention. But I can honestly say I feel and sense like I belong here now, I don't feel I belong in particular societal groups.

• Like 1