Jump to content

Photos of the Earth and its beauty that inspire us


Bombadil
 Share

Recommended Posts

20160929_131535-1.jpg.6ae43d13f2437a0fa7ecc1e890044068.jpg

 

My little dog, Bailey, who died beside me on Easter Sunday this year, aged 14.

 

Really brings home the things we treasure most in life and the many things we get uptight about but which, in reality, are irrelevant. This little dog alone was worth more than all the politicians, royals  and elitist bastards put together and deserved his time on Earth much more than they do.

 

I'm pleased I still have a wonderful family to take care of otherwise I'd probably just have called it a day after Bailey passed.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Probably one of my favourite photos I've ever taken, this was from a trip to Gibraltar a few years ago now.

 

IMAG0504.jpg.f8e32f6e37c70ab5b1680112971254b5.jpg

 

Before you transitioned to owl? 🤣  (nice view)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, metak88 said:

 

Before you transitioned to owl? 🤣  (nice view)

 

The view from the top is stunning...

IMAG0497.jpg.09aa9194d71f3099d5f97701e0fd50dd.jpg

 

11 minutes ago, Bombadil said:

Looks like a good day!!!

It was my birthday and yes it was a fantastic day, I got to ride on the cable car, hung around with the apes while they robbed the visitors (😆), got blown away by the breath taking views, then went back down for a nice bit of steak washed down with cold beer.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grumpy Owl said:

 

The view from the top is stunning...

IMAG0497.jpg.09aa9194d71f3099d5f97701e0fd50dd.jpg

 

It was my birthday and yes it was a fantastic day, I got to ride on the cable car, hung around with the apes while they robbed the visitors (😆), got blown away by the breath taking views, then went back down for a nice bit of steak washed down with cold beer.

Fantastic. I've sailed through the straights of Gibraltar but never stopped there. With the cost of living going up Gibraltar could be a good move!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bombadil said:

Fantastic. I've sailed through the straights of Gibraltar but never stopped there. With the cost of living going up Gibraltar could be a good move!!

 

I'm not too sure about that to be honest. For a 'visitor' from the UK, it was comparatively 'cheap' there for many things, such as food and drink, and as a smoker I got a 'bargain' sleeve of 200 Rothmans cigarettes from a local shop for just £18.50. 😮 (this was in 2017)

 

To actually live there, the problem is the limited number of properties available, and so these can be quite expensive to buy, and many have caveats attached, like having been a resident for a certain number of years already. When I was there in 2017, there was a large amount of development work taking place, with huge blocks of apartments being built, so it has probably changed a lot now.

 

I'd certainly recommend it as a place to go and visit, you'd only need a full weekend to see all there is to see, being such a small place.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to a place called Screech owl sanctuary. They do a lot of rescue work. Depending on DEFRA decisions all the birds may need to be put down as a consequence of avian flu. This will apply to any and every captive bird in any controlled environment if it goes ahead. Another place called Paradise park has some ultra rare birds. On the critically endangered list. They will still be euthanised. I suggested they fix their enclosures properly to stop local birds entering and so helping the spread of bird flu.

The answer I was given was that it’s a cost issue.

I came back later with a pair of pliers (£3), a ball of wire (£2.50) and a roll of polythene(£18 from local hardware shop).

If they can’t afford £23.50 they are taking the piss.

 

Anyway I met up with @Grumpy Owl at Screech. He did look miserable but totally magnificent.

 

 

95137C7A-F7A7-4538-827C-5EBE3FE7C338.jpeg

B77374AF-3070-4A1B-B66E-5239D795D4CD.jpeg

F3AD46BD-DC66-4406-A795-14AAA97DB1F7.jpeg

6A47F46D-C7DE-4175-89A1-8879C2373C5E.jpeg

098381F9-64E9-47C1-965F-2F2D3B869528.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bombadil said:

I went to a place called Screech owl sanctuary. They do a lot of rescue work. Depending on DEFRA decisions all the birds may need to be put down as a consequence of avian flu. This will apply to any and every captive bird in any controlled environment if it goes ahead. Another place called Paradise park has some ultra rare birds. On the critically endangered list. They will still be euthanised. I suggested they fix their enclosures properly to stop local birds entering and so helping the spread of bird flu.

The answer I was given was that it’s a cost issue.

I came back later with a pair of pliers (£3), a ball of wire (£2.50) and a roll of polythene(£18 from local hardware shop).

If they can’t afford £23.50 they are taking the piss.

 

Anyway I met up with @Grumpy Owl at Screech. He did look miserable but totally magnificent.

 

 

95137C7A-F7A7-4538-827C-5EBE3FE7C338.jpeg

B77374AF-3070-4A1B-B66E-5239D795D4CD.jpeg

F3AD46BD-DC66-4406-A795-14AAA97DB1F7.jpeg

6A47F46D-C7DE-4175-89A1-8879C2373C5E.jpeg

098381F9-64E9-47C1-965F-2F2D3B869528.jpeg

The leg in the picture isn’t very good to look at. Nothing to do with my clan!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bombadil said:

The leg in the picture isn’t very good to look at. Nothing to do with my clan!

They are beautiful birds think i have been there as a kid is this in the west country? There was a scottish owl that no longer is wild and its so big its been known to eat cats! I think they reintroduced a few.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

They are beautiful birds think i have been there as a kid is this in the west country? There was a scottish owl that no longer is wild and its so big its been known to eat cats! I think they reintroduced a few.

They do a lot of reintroduction work. They're not government funded. They rely on footfall and donations. Its places like this that are becoming the last front on wildlife survival.

 

On that note. A heads up. If you find a wild animal of any type that has been so called domesticated. Please dont take it to the RSPCA. They have a euthanasia policy for animals that cannot in theory be reintroduced.

Its possible but not 100% sure yet that we may be having a fox cub to stay with us. It was found half starved. Parents most likely killed on the A30.

It cannot go back in theory because it is too used to humans.

I am fully aware that foxes will never be tame and are really chaotic but should be amazing. Im used to my crazy children so a fox should be easy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/29/2022 at 4:32 AM, Grumpy Owl said:

To actually live there, the problem is the limited number of properties available, and so these can be quite expensive to buy, and many have caveats attached, like having been a resident for a certain number of years already.

I don't know what the rules are now but back in the day,you could only visit Norfolk Island you couldn't move there to be an actual resident you had to be born on the island or marry someone who had

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2022 at 10:08 AM, Bombadil said:

I went to a place called Screech owl sanctuary. They do a lot of rescue work. Depending on DEFRA decisions all the birds may need to be put down as a consequence of avian flu. This will apply to any and every captive bird in any controlled environment if it goes ahead. Another place called Paradise park has some ultra rare birds. On the critically endangered list. They will still be euthanised. I suggested they fix their enclosures properly to stop local birds entering and so helping the spread of bird flu.

The answer I was given was that it’s a cost issue.

I came back later with a pair of pliers (£3), a ball of wire (£2.50) and a roll of polythene(£18 from local hardware shop).

If they can’t afford £23.50 they are taking the piss.

 

Anyway I met up with @Grumpy Owl at Screech. He did look miserable but totally magnificent.

 

 

95137C7A-F7A7-4538-827C-5EBE3FE7C338.jpeg

B77374AF-3070-4A1B-B66E-5239D795D4CD.jpeg

F3AD46BD-DC66-4406-A795-14AAA97DB1F7.jpeg

6A47F46D-C7DE-4175-89A1-8879C2373C5E.jpeg

098381F9-64E9-47C1-965F-2F2D3B869528.jpeg

 

Bombadil's photos reminded me of one of my favourite places. I am going to shamelessly plug the 'Hawk Conservancy Trust' in Andover which I try and visit as often as I can. I managed to squeeze in a visit a couple of months ago for the first time in three years due to lockdowns.

 

They have slightly scaled down their displays, but it still makes for a wonderful day out especially if you can afford one of their bird handling experiences. Most importantly, they undertake conservation work with a particular emphasis on vultures - the most endangered group of birds on the planet - as they give away poachers by circling above carcasses as part of their role as nature's "clean up crew" which would otherwise pollute the environment and cause disease. They have an on site bird of prey hospital too and a wild flower meadow with hives.

 

Here are some of the photos I took during my last visit. I hope I have got their names right.

 

  • Elder the barn owl landed on the bench right next to me.

 

image.jpeg.6a419273e03abe7cbf5acfce3a4d7e41.jpeg

 

  • Walter - a magnificent great grey owl.

 

image.jpeg.f4fd8642d6e73a5bd200e3665062f1c4.jpeg

 

  • Tolkein, the milky eagle owl, showing off.

 

image.jpeg.6e25bbe3daac54417fda12051086eb80.jpeg

 

  • A cute little burrowing owl.

 

image.jpeg.6189674fb692ab415b6bac6c771262af.jpeg

 

  • Cheyenne the bald eagle. Anybody who has held a bald eagle will know how heavy they are on your arm!

 

image.jpeg.884f067e646bbf7caf3c69e5ecfa7fe8.jpeg

 

  • Angola - one of the secretary birds. As part of the 'Wings of Africa' display, the secretary birds stamp on and high kick a stuffed snake as a demonstration of their behaviour in the wild.

 

image.jpeg.aa2a74c0a07d3dc3d683b48678660788.jpeg

 

  • Fagin - a hooded vulture who is full of character.

 

image.jpeg.50dd9d087262d6115db973af2b927c2e.jpeg

 

  • An elegant stork.

 

image.jpeg.8f1ac0426230e433386f1425fab917bc.jpeg

 

  • Cinnamon - a beautiful Siberian eagle owl.

 

image.jpeg.a85710d326d3c232360249d6a8fa037a.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...