Jump to content

Hands


Layton James
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here is something new for the forum a thread dedicated to all things hand made, this has been a passion of mine for many years, here is one of  series of handmade crafts that are fast dieing out in moderninty but they still survive.

 

I

If you are a creator please show the things you have made.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
 
 
 

This was in the bush craft post

 

 

 

The top one is ATS 34 hardened to 60.5 RC with beef wood handle and 316 stainless bolster

 the second is BG42 hardened to 63 RC , brilliant steel even at this hardness the edge will not chip and the blade will never tarnish or rust ,the downside is you need a linisher to sharpen it but you can dress an entire beast without touching it up, the handle is ivory and the bolsters are brass the third is a cut throat razor I did with mother of pearl handles.

I have made over 1000 knives  in 35 or so years and have them in a number of countries

 

I have also been building RC planes and flying them for many years crashed a heap of them as well

 

 

20210327_204601_resized.jpg.2a8838d15c795a52274f750bf9a6b3cf.jpg

Edited March 27, 2021 by peter

20161016_100753.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, peter said:
 
 
 
 
 

This was in the bush craft post

 

 

 

The top one is ATS 34 hardened to 60.5 RC with beef wood handle and 316 stainless bolster

 the second is BG42 hardened to 63 RC , brilliant steel even at this hardness the edge will not chip and the blade will never tarnish or rust ,the downside is you need a linisher to sharpen it but you can dress an entire beast without touching it up, the handle is ivory and the bolsters are brass the third is a cut throat razor I did with mother of pearl handles.

I have made over 1000 knives  in 35 or so years and have them in a number of countries

 

I have also been building RC planes and flying them for many years crashed a heap of them as well

 

 

20210327_204601_resized.jpg.2a8838d15c795a52274f750bf9a6b3cf.jpg

Edited March 27, 2021 by peter

20161016_100753.jpg

 

Nice blades, I have only made one knife from an old file, a freind has it now for his own pleasure, I have also made a few cattys like the following.

 

She is a bit of a gimmic but works nicely, ih as a touch trigger laser green torch sight and an AR style grip, the fork is from a titanium catty by GZK

 

 

20211102_165018.jpg

20211102_165222.jpg

20211102_165108.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Layton James said:

Here is something new for the forum a thread dedicated to all things hand made, this has been a passion of mine for many years, here is one of  series of handmade crafts that are fast dieing out in moderninty but they still survive.

 

I

If you are a creator please show the things you have made.

 

 

Reminds me of the aran jumpers my mum's auntie used to make when i was a young child. Itchy and scratchy things they were 😄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Given To Fly said:

 

Reminds me of the aran jumpers my mum's auntie used to make when i was a young child. Itchy and scratchy things they were 😄

 

The itchy ones are normally made from the tougher wools like herdwick or rough fell sheep, we kept the parkland cheviot types for many years which could be worn against the skin without any discomfort.

 

Her in doors has made us several over the years on spinning wheels that I made for her, you can see them here,

 

https://steemit.com/spinning/@shedlife/a-yarn-to-spin

 

An aran normally takes about 90 hours to knit with about 25 K seperate stitches, she sometimes frequents the charity shops looking for wool when we don't prepare our own from local rare breeds.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...