Forum Advisors

Moderators are required on a forum even if it is only to stop spammers .... but mods can get a bit "trigger" happy with warnings, bans etc and can just get things wrong!

In the forum rules it states (in part):

Complaints and disputes with regard to Moderation
If you have a complaint against a Moderator or you feel you have been unfairly treated after having attempted to resolve an issue with the Moderator involved, you are free to bring the matter to the attention of one of the Forum Advisors who in this instance will act as an arbitrator to assist both parties to find a resolution they can both agree on. However before taking this course of action, we expect that members will try and resolve these issues with the Moderator involved as a first step.

So after discussion with Admin .... it is considered that having Forum Advisors will help limit any incorrect moderator actions and give a "voice" to members who feel unjustly sanctioned.

Forum Advisors wouldn't have any moderator permissions (they would stay as a member) and shouldn't be called upon very often (hopefully nearly never) .... But they would be there to consider both sides of any dispute, regarding moderation, and give their consideration of events and their thoughts on the implemented/wanted sanctions.

The way it is hoped to work would be:

Mods will no longer ban (temporarily or permanently) any member in good standing* without interaction with a Forum Advisor.

* good standing meaning a member who is not new and has posts over 100 on the forum (mods will ban any spammers without warning but the post approval for new members sorts out most of that)

If mods put a member on Moderation of Content (meaning that the members posts require mod approval) .... then the member can, via PM, contact a Forum Advisor (if the member disagrees with the sanction) and after discussion with them, the Forum Advisor can give their consideration to the mod.

If mods consider that a member should be banned (temporarily or permanently) then they will put the member on Moderation of Content  and the mods will contact the Forum Advisors to discuss the problem. 

After which the Forum Advisor can contact the member and then arbitrate between mods and member (if the member wishes that).

Anyway .... that is the idea.

So this thread is to ask if any members (in good standing) would put themselves forward to be a Forum Advisor?

I know 3 members who I would like to have do the job .... but I do not wish to "put them on the spot".

If you feel that you could be a Forum Advisor, then please PM me .... or you can post in this thread.

Any input regarding this is welcome :)

Forgot to say .... If mods and forum advisors cannot agree then it will be passed on to Admin and they will make the decision.

Hey Ink, I think this looks like a really good idea,  for the forums well being, my opinion buddy is - (if for the health of this really great forum) you should put them on the spot, a pm won't make them feel like they've been put on the spot either.

EDIT: I can think of 3 or 4 great mods (not potential advisors) straightaway, I'm sure they will be flattered to be asked surely?
Ask me by PM if you want my opinion (I'm sure you don't NEED my opinion Ink and I don't flatter myself you need my opinion, but another mod who acts positively and humanley (like you do) would be a great help to you)

I'm waffling, cheers.

Edited by sickofallthebollocks
edit & the word either

It sounds like a good idea.

But in reality you are adding an unnecessary layer. The underlying suggestion, is that Mods are not being reasonable and we should hire some reasonable people to adjudicate when they are not doing their job. This would be solved if you put the reasonable people in the Mod positions in the first place.

I am not saying that mods are unreasonable. I don't know all the ins and outs and I have never personally had a problem with a mod. Just using logic here.

IMO the structure should look like Gareth or David or whoever runs the site - chooses the mods. And ultimately if the mods have some major  issue which I'm sure is pretty rare - it should get referred back to Gareth/David. If these issues are regular, then obviously Gareth/David has selected the wrong mods and it's their responsibility.

30 minutes ago, ink said:

(mods will ban any spammers without warning but the post approval for new members sorts out most of that)

Can we define what the conditions are with respect of spamming, for instance does it relate to the number of posts per second, minute or hour ...etc, and also would posting to large number of unrelated threads simultaneously also fall under this banner or does it relate to what is commonly called bikeshedding, which is where a poster is deliberately walking a thread/discussion in circles and takes up a large amount of posts making it difficult for other interested minds to research, and i will echo what mr bolloxs has said also and let the contentious issue be in public.

Really appreciate what you are trying to do here ink, cheers.

You must have read my mind @ink as I was thinking about this the other day and had considered posting it in the suggestions forum.

I remember that the legacy site had forum advisors. I never had to approach one myself, so I cannot comment as to how well it worked. But I think it is a good idea worth trying out. Hopefully it would prove to be less controversial and work better than the Council idea did. 🤭

1 hour ago, sickofallthebollocks said:

you should put them on the spot

Maybe .... but any member (in good standing) can offer to help mate?

But I do see a post below that .... well I think the member would be perfect for the job!

Edit: or a post above .... as now is the case lol

16 minutes ago, Mitochondrial Eve said:

I was thinking about this the other day

Hey Eve .... I really do consider that you would be very, very good as a Forum Advisor.

It shouldn't take too much of your time (hopefully very little) .... I didn't wish to put you in the spotlight but .... I have sorry :(

You would be brilliant doing it, I think!

6 minutes ago, ink said:

Hey Eve .... I really do consider that you would be very, very good as a Forum Advisor.

It shouldn't take too much of your time (hopefully very little) .... I didn't wish to put you in the spotlight but .... I have sorry :(

ditto 👍  Eve you're super cool in everyones mind here.   You'd be great either as a mod or advisor.

35 minutes ago, Mr H said:

It sounds like a good idea.

But in reality you are adding an unnecessary layer. The underlying suggestion, is that Mods are not being reasonable and we should hire some reasonable people to adjudicate when they are not doing their job. This would be solved if you put the reasonable people in the Mod positions in the first place.

I am not saying that mods are unreasonable. I don't know all the ins and outs and I have never personally had a problem with a mod. Just using logic here.

I see what you are saying but it is too easy to hold personal bias without even knowing that you do!

And vastly too easy to just ban someone .... A normal ban is about 7 clicks of the mouse (and you don't even need to go to the members profile). 

Or with a single mouse click (1 single click) you can mark them as a spammer and ban them (which also removes from view all their posts).

It is too easy to become flippant and think that you are always correct .... when you may just be wrong!

28 minutes ago, Mr H said:

IMO the structure should look like Gareth or David or whoever runs the site - chooses the mods. And ultimately if the mods have some major  issue which I'm sure is pretty rare - it should get referred back to Gareth/David. If these issues are regular, then obviously Gareth/David has selected the wrong mods and it's their responsibility.

Gareth is here as much as he can be .... the mods do the day to day running of the forum.

Mods are seen as an authoritarian "problem" by many alternative thinkers (people who research issues/events and wish to find out truth) .... and I get that. I held the same consideration .... I dislike any authority!

I can tell you that near all "alternative thinkers" do not want to be a moderator .... It isn't a case of the wrong people being chosen.

I literally "tricked" decent people into doing it! (not tricked as such .... just got them made a mod without asking them if they wanted to .... and then spoke to them about it .... It was wrong of me to do)

41 minutes ago, sock muppet said:

Can we define what the conditions are with respect of spamming, for instance does it relate to the number of posts per second, minute or hour ...etc, and also would posting to large number of unrelated threads simultaneously also fall under this banner or does it relate to what is commonly called bikeshedding, which is where a poster is deliberately walking a thread/discussion in circles and takes up a large amount of posts making it difficult for other interested minds to research, and i will echo what mr bolloxs has said also and let the contentious issue be in public.

Really appreciate what you are trying to do here ink, cheers.

Spamming the forum does mean a few things but the main one is advertising a business .... I have been cleaning them up but I just went and got a few which I haven't done yet (and these new members also tried to post):

Look at their profile ....

Actually I won't do that (I have done the last month and will do the ones I just found from the months before but I won't link to them).

As you say, it can also mean posting over and over (either threads or posts) to 'hide' other information.

Then you have trolling and shilling!

Most of my time as a mod is spent "cleaning up" things which are never seen by members.

29 minutes ago, ink said:

I see what you are saying but it is too easy to hold personal bias without even knowing that you do!

And vastly too easy to just ban someone .... A normal ban is about 7 clicks of the mouse (and you don't even need to go to the members profile). 

Or with a single mouse click (1 single click) you can mark them as a spammer and ban them (which also removes from view all their posts).

It is too easy to become flippant and think that you are always correct .... when you may just be wrong!

Gareth is here as much as he can be .... the mods do the day to day running of the forum.

Mods are seen as an authoritarian "problem" by many alternative thinkers (people who research issues/events and wish to find out truth) .... and I get that. I held the same consideration .... I dislike any authority!

I can tell you that near all "alternative thinkers" do not want to be a moderator .... It isn't a case of the wrong people being chosen.

I literally "tricked" decent people into doing it! (not tricked as such .... just got them made a mod without asking them if they wanted to .... and then spoke to them about it .... It was wrong of me to do)

I guess these are valid points, I just don't resonate with it because I can't imagine doing stuff like that.

An alternative could be to have no rules and no mods with authority. Just have them to delete spam only then everyone has to put on their big boy pants and try and get along!

30 minutes ago, ink said:

Spamming the forum does mean a few things but the main one is advertising a business

I must admit this never even occurred to me at all and now you mention it has broadened my horizon's a fair bit

24 minutes ago, Mr H said:

An alternative could be to have no rules and no mods with authority

sacré bleu, do you want the sky to fall in as well,🤪

Just bumping this as it can't proceed unless at least 2 members offer to be Forum Advisors!

Needs at least 2 .... just incase one is the subject of wanted moderation!

damned.png.65b82036cfa839caf4678bb4ce666d8f.png

I've got no moderation experience or anything, but I would assume that my presence here doesn't piss on anyone's chips and I don't get into barneys with anyone. In general I don't have a horse in any race, other than seeing the truth be allowed to prevail, and people be reasonable to each other.

Whether that qualifies me for the task, I dunno!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

I've got no moderation experience or anything, but I would assume that my presence here doesn't piss on anyone's chips and I don't get into barneys with anyone. In general I don't have a horse in any race, other than seeing the truth be allowed to prevail, and people be reasonable to each other.

Whether that qualifies me for the task, I dunno!

You wouldn't need to moderate .... You would only be called upon to give your opinion on an intended sanction/ban of a member after you discussed it with the mods and the member. (the discussion with the member being private between you 2)

Hopefully it would be very rarely asked of you!

And yes .... you easily qualify :)

On 3/9/2022 at 4:48 PM, ink said:

I walked right into that one...

Is this definitely going ahead? And will there be any more mods brought on board?

If this is a solid plan waiting to be implemented, I can do it. But if there are any other suitable volunteers keen to take the role, I would be equally content for others to step forward instead.

• Like 2

Gareth has asked me who the Forum Advisors will be?

I said that I will get back once I know.

I guess that the member title under the avatar may change .... or really nothing will change!

On the whole .... you won't see a difference .... but from a mod point of view .... 

Once this is done .... no ban (temp or permanent) will be made of a member, in good standing, without interaction with a forum advisor .... and if the mods and forum advisor cannot agree, then Admin will decide.

and I would love you to do it (which if @Anti Facts Sir is happy to) then we can proceed :)

8 minutes ago, Mitochondrial Eve said:

And will there be any more mods brought on board?

Sorry didn't address this .... Yes .... but I haven't spoken with Gareth about that .... I am waiting in hope for BC .... at which time I shall discuss with him and then move forward (hopefully)

1 minute ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

Okie dokie, consider me forward for the job!

Thank you .... I hope that you won't be called upon too often!

9 hours ago, Macnamara said:

I'd be interested in acting as a forum advisor

Excellent Mac .... thank you very much :)

And with that .... I think 3 Forum Advisors is great, so thanks to all and now we can proceed to sort out any details.