Free Speech

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, alexa said:

it looks as though they are planning to bring down the internet, saying free speech is a weapon of war. 

To what ends would bringing down the internet serve these bastards?

No internet = nore more need to buy smart phones = no more control over the population via fake news and no more tracking.

I can't see this ever happening TBH.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, webtrekker said:

To what ends would bringing down the internet serve these bastards?

No internet = nore more need to buy smart phones = no more control over the population via fake news and no more tracking.

I can't see this ever happening TBH.

I can see the internet just becoming a glorified buying & selling platform.

46 minutes ago, alexa said:

I can see the internet just becoming a glorified buying & selling platform.

Yes, but who would want to pay for an internet connection and devices to access it just so they could shop online? In the forthcoming tough times we'll need to save every penny and at the rate suppliers are dropping there'll be no sellers to buy from!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

Plenty of places, but they're just too edgy for most people.

I appreciate what Torba is doing for free speech (unless he has a hidden agenda too). But the posters at gab put me off.

Edited by Watchman

1 hour ago, Watchman said:

I appreciate what Torba is doing for free speech (unless he has a hidden agenda too). But the posters at gab put me off.

I have quite a bit to say about Torba, but I probably can't say it here anymore.

I hear you though, the more free speech a platform has, the more people are going to have to accept that there is going to be a lot of views that they find toxic. You can't have it both ways.

The more edgy platforms often make me think of an old running gag on 4chan, where users often say that the Feds haven't shut it down because it's a great place to datamine dissident voices, which wouldn't surprise me.

• 7 months later...

I remember years ago we had this free speech discussion with old Florrie next door and she asked my Grandad George if he believed in free speech? He said 'yes, everybody is entitled to speak freely'! Florrie then asked if she could use Grandad's phone to ring her sister Mabel in Canberra?🤨 I forget most of his reply but I do know it ended with 'OFF' and Florrie never came around again🤔

• Haha 1