Reforestation is the obvious solution for imbalances

Examining the Viability of Planting Trees to Help Mitigate Climate Change

By Alan Buis,
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory

It’s an intriguing premise: what if we could reduce the severity of global climate change by planting hundreds of billions of trees to remove excess carbon from our atmosphere? A recent study published in the journal Science sought to provide answers by estimating the global potential of restoring forested lands as a possible strategy for mitigating climate change.

The international research team, led by Jean-Francois Bastin of ETH-Zurich in Switzerland, used direct measurements of forest cover around the world to create a model for estimating Earth’s forest restoration potential. They found Earth’s ecosystems could support another 900 million hectares (2.2 billion acres) of forests, 25 percent more forested area than we have now. By planting more than a half trillion trees, the authors say, we could capture about 205 gigatons of carbon (a gigaton is 1 billion metric tons), reducing atmospheric carbon by about 25 percent. That’s enough to negate about 20 years of human-produced carbon emissions at the current rate, or about half of all carbon emitted by humans since 1960. The study attracted worldwide attention, as well as some criticism within the science community.

Examining the Viability of Planting Trees to Help Mitigate Climate Change – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet (nasa.gov)

Most people don't know this, but the Great Plains of the USA used to be forest.

Native Americans(migrants) used slash and burn methods to create a grassland. It was stone age geoengineering.

It's not a bad thing, it created the most fertile deep loam soils on the planet because grazing animals(buffalo, deer, elk etc) cycled grass into the soils as manure

But it used to be forest land most of it.

In recent times various nations have clear-cut forest land in order to create various agricultural systems, which aren't bad, per se.

I'm not going to tell Brazil they can't have modern agriculture.

But we need to compensate for it. And reduce the impacts.

Spaces that don't need full sunlight can be reforested.

The reason the native Americans slashed and burned was because it was hard to hunt in a forested flatland. You can't see where the herd is at.

There is no mountain vantage point in lands without mountains.

Indirectly they also enriched the soils by cycling manure and grasses but the reason they did it was easy meat.

LOL

I don't actually believe we have too much carbon dioxide, but reforestation has other benefits.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mr H said:

I did read recently that the amount of trees are increasing quite rapidly. 7% more now than in the 1980s https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/tree-cover-increase-world-deforestation-farming-rainforests-forests-a8486096.html

Yes and how do we speed up the process, by increasing the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere . Same as in a commercial set up, if you wish to reduce turn around times between planting and harvest in a large green house environment ,increase the amount of carbon dioxide, it's an old trick . At this point in time the amount of carbon in the atmosphere is the second lowest it has ever been we have just past 400 ppm it has been as high as 7000 ppm in the the past according to ice core samples,  did the world burst into flames? no but there were lush jungles and forests. Ice core samples also show that first there is an increase in temperature then a lag of 800yrs then an increase in carbon ,not the other way around as the media would have you believe

PS I find  it interesting that we went from catastrophic global warning to climate change ,just like in the latest scam they died  from covid to their deaths were covid related,I don't know about anyone else but I see similarities  

Edited by peter
  • Like 2