USAF fighter jets seen over central Scotland doing low flying drills.

This is just a continuation of a pattern of military craft doing excessive flights over central Scotland over the last two years. This might be happening over other UK cities too;

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19863679.us-fighter-jets-flying-scotlands-central-belt---know-far/

SCOTS have been left bemused after two reportedly American fighter jets flew low passes over the central belt.

The website flightradar showed that there were multiple US fighters over the UK on Thursday evening.

One, a McDonnell Douglas F-15E Eagle, was tracked flying over Scotland before heading south over the Border. More recently, it was circling east of Peterborough, England.

A second Boeing F-15 Eagle has been circling west of Norwich for some time.

The National:

Twitter user @teagsy_ wrote: “Not every day you go for a wee nap and get woken up by 2 fighter jets flying overhead. Why are USAF [US Air Force] jets flying over Scotland?”

Conor Mockler added: “Two US F15 fighter jets just flew over the central belt of Scotland - Actually thought the world was ending and life flashed before my eyes.”

User @alternateadman wrote: “Nice of the @RoyalAirForce or @10DowningStreet or @scotgov to advance warn folk there’d be American F-15 fighter jets low flying over towns and cities in Central Scotland at near supersonic speed.

“Lots of brown trousers in Lanarkshire.” “So everyone in central Scotland collectively shit their pants at they fighter jets then according to twitter. Glad I wasn’t the only one,” Kevin Ryan added.

An MoD spokesperson told The National it was their understanding that the fighter jets were American, but they were “not sure” what they had been doing.

They added that it was “probably just a training mission”, but told us to contact the US Air Force for confirmation.

The USAF media line rang out multiple times, and the force has not yet responded to alternative requests for comment.

At the beginning of the Covid "pandemic" whilst taking my dogs for a walk around my local park i remember seeing an F-15 fly overhead (i knew it was definitely not an RAF fighter like the Tornado or Typhoon, I have been to many airshows and can tell them apart and also confirmed it using the flight radar app), it left a huge vapour trail across the sky that took ages to disperse, the plane was travelling very fast. I also witnessed something drop from it, a shiny object spinning and falling, i remember watching the object for a very long time until i could no longer make it out, the sky was very bright  that day and the object must of been tiny (if i had looked away at any second i wouldn't have been unable to relocate it).  I would love to have known what that object was.  I remember that day very well as i thought it was very unusual, i have never seen an F-15 fly over where i live before and as far i  know I don't live under any military flight path, i live in a very populated area of the UK.  

This has been going on for sometime. I regularly see F15s flying about up north when I am on the fells.

Flight radar doesn't normally show many military aircraft (my version any way).

I suspect the media are now being told to report on it 'to seed' something in the minds of people as if there is a build up to something...

Edited by Mr Chinnery

1 hour ago, Mr Chinnery said:

Flight radar doesn't normally show many military aircraft (my version any way).

That's true, sometimes they show, sometimes they don't, i believe it's whether they have their transponders turned on or off.  ( I also pay a subscription on flight radar so i can have more detail) I should think they have to have them switched on over a very populated area, else it would be suspicious, maybe even an act of war if they didn't have them on and it was a foreign fighter jet - even an ally. I know that it's normal to see some F-15s in some areas of the UK but definitely not where i live (it rare even to see the RAF ones). There does seems like a build up of something and the media are doing their programming thing as usual.

Edited by Incontinentia_Buttux

Other memorable plane spots i have had:

After a trip to the RAF museum at Cosford with my son (he loves having a look around there and we go quite often) ..  once we were back home and out in the garden l distinctively heard the sound of a single engined prop, looked up only to find a Spitfire circling above us (no i wasn't dreaming)!  What are the chances of that lol i gave it a wave and the pilot even made the wings dip like a salute (i have seen that done at air shows) it was as if they had followed me home (obviously not, but it was a very strange coincidence)!

Also on a holiday in Blackpool staying in a caravan park on the way to Fleetwood, heard the raw of a fighter jet, an RAF tornado, fly out over the Irish Sea, it's flight pattern formed a four leaf clover in the sky!  It was also picked up on flight radar - a perfect four leaf clover.  There wasn't an airshow on, I thought the pilot must of been showing off and having a laugh at the same time!!!! 

Edited by Incontinentia_Buttux
  • Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 1:00 PM, Incontinentia_Buttux said:

Also on a holiday in Blackpool staying in a caravan park on the way to Fleetwood, heard the raw of a fighter jet, an RAF tornado, fly out over the Irish Sea, it's flight pattern formed a four leaf clover in the sky!  It was also picked up on flight radar - a perfect four leaf clover.  There wasn't an airshow on, I thought the pilot must of been showing off and having a laugh at the same time!!!! 

I suspect that was a test pilot out of Warton Airdrome. They are usually madder than a normal pilot!

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2022 at 8:00 AM, Incontinentia_Buttux said:

Also on a holiday in Blackpool staying in a caravan park on the way to Fleetwood, heard the raw of a fighter jet, an RAF tornado, fly out over the Irish Sea

My dad was inducted into the RAF at Squires Gate, which was the old aircrew selection centre. On holiday there as a young lad, I'd see all kinds of planes coming and going. A couple of Tiger Moths would go up on pleasure flights and I once saw a Spitfire landing there and a P-51 Mustang.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't put too much store by the information on FR24. From personal experience, (incorrect aircraft details, incorrect routings etc), I know that it is often inaccurate. I agree that they can 'amend' their transponders so that FR24 can't pick them up, but the military (and usually civil) air traffic controllers know where they are, because they have to. 

There is no doubt that the US is conducting additional military manoeuvres at preset. I live not a million miles from Mildenhall and the Ospreys which are based there have been flying very low (+/- 3000 feet) late at night and in the early hours, to the point where there have been lots of comments on the local Facebook page. 

I imagine Akrotiri must be quite busy these days...

I live in the Central Belt (Lanarkshire) and I never saw nor heard these USAF jets, although I've seen Typhoons fly by at low levels, but in light of further developments and the banging war drums, it starts to make sense.

Up to 8,500 US troops have been put on heightened alert for possible deployment to eastern Europe to bolster NATO forces amid ongoing Russian aggression on Ukraine's border, the Pentagon has said.

https://news.sky.com/story/us-orders-families-of-all-american-embassy-staff-in-kyiv-to-leave-ukraine-amid-fears-of-russian-invasion-12524067

No doubt Russia will respond with Klaus Schwab's cyber attack and hey presto.... the next looming crisis!

Asked if he believed an invasion was imminent, the prime minister said: "I've got to tell you that I think the intelligence is pretty gloomy at this point.

"There is certainly a very, very large array of Russian forces and we have to take the necessary steps. I don't think it's by any means inevitable now, I think that sense can still prevail."