Discussion Forum for Retro Football

bisky22

Only football events from the preceding ten years should be discussed in this thread, which means information from the 2011/12 season and beyond is not permitted.

Join us at the most delightful time of the year as we remember about football in the past - flashback highlights, classic matches, footballing luminaries and cult figures are all on the menu, with nothing from'modern football'!

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fluke said:

I was there Shawn Bartlett what a don. 

Remember when the CAFC fans wanted Curbs out because he couldn't take them any further? They were 9th in the PL or something. I forget which lower division they're in now!

Same is true for so many clubs. 

Just now, Anti Facts Sir said:

Remember when the CAFC fans wanted Curbs out because he couldn't take them any further? They were 9th in the PL or something. I forget which lower division they're in now!

Same is true for so many clubs. 

Yes i remember clearly they wanted europe lol. Its actually quite sad. They are in league 1 with intra manager johnny jackson. 

7 minutes ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

They had a bit of a mini revival under Lee Bowyer, but there were problems behind the scenes with shitty owners and stuff. Didn't they throw inflatable things into the pitch? Trying to remember what they were!

Yeah lee boywer took us up. Dodgy owner took the club over (or rather didn't) an arab if i remember payments didnt go through or something. Now its owned by some dutch bloke i think and he turns up with his mrs and an acoustic guitar. Last game i went to chris powell was manager he took us up to championship but dont think he could take us any further.

Before my time but during the 80s they could not afford to keep the ground and it was overgrown with weeds and the grass was 2 meters high. The locals help rebuild it while borrowing palaces ground lol. Community spirit and all that.

The only real success charlton had was in late 40s when they managed to win the fa cup. Got to 2 finals after the war. 

Best period was curbs years late 90s early 2000s. Good counter attacking side. 

One of the best games even a non charlton fan could watch would be the 1998 play offs with sunderland.

The video above sums us up makes me quite sad.  Padrew fucked us over as well.

@Anti Facts Sir my brother was at this game and we was watching with the family and I noticed him on the pitch on TV lol during the invasion 

Edited by Fluke

I used to enjoy watching their games on TV. Being from London, I will always prefer to watch teams from that area, though I had no link to Charlton or East London beyond knowing someone who lived there and supported them.

Yeah remember the mid-80s when they were ground-less. Same as a few teams on the brink at the time (Boro?). Curbs was one of those promising young British bosses in the 90s/early 00s who mysteriously stalled and is nowhere now (O'Leary, the Villa guy...John Gregory, and others).

Edited by Anti Facts Sir
O'Leary ain't English!
  • Like 1

Fuck me can't believe this was 12 years ago. ..

I was there. Who kept the drog out? Djou djou djourou 😂

I was here as well for the FA cup parade  Jack Wilshire what a lad.

Edited by Fluke

On 1/13/2022 at 3:18 PM, bisky22 said:

Only football events from the preceding ten years should be discussed in this thread, which means information from the 2011/12 season and beyond is not permitted.

Join us at the most delightful time of the year as we remember about football in the past - flashback highlights, classic matches, footballing luminaries and cult figures are all on the menu, with nothing from'modern football'!

Thank you all for your responses.