The Museum of Youth Culture

RobSS

A Museum of Youth Culture has opened in London, "dedicated to the incredible creativity of British youth culture". The museum is at 154 Shaftesbury Avenue, not far from Cambridge Circus in the heart of the West End. I think it's a brilliant idea to have a museum because Britain has been host to incredible waves of youth culture over the last 100 years. The museum even has a website, where many of the photos can browsed:

https://shop.museumofyouthculture.com/

Hopefully, it will be an inspiration for the youth of today and tomorrow!

15 hours ago, RobSS said:

Some photos I took of youth culture in the early 1980's. These were some mates of mine in a pub in Hayes, West London:

img003.jpg.0da2c81461e99095790a66e8581b4e9c.jpg

img006.jpg.9f8ff80d4c068ff115d7370f6d162334.jpg

img021.jpg.cf68ac0a5a865d3ebf60020e688c7cbe.jpg

Bet they are all cowering behind a face nappy now. Ohhh they look so tough. 

9 hours ago, Fluke said:

Bet they are all cowering behind a face nappy now. Ohhh they look so tough. 

From the chats I have with my mates from that period on Facebook, they don't wear face masks. They think it's all bollocks and they're still very tough!

Guest Gone Fishing...
4 minutes ago, RobSS said:

From the chats I have with my mates from that period on Facebook, they don't wear face masks. They think it's all bollocks and they're still very tough!

What do they think about having their photos on a Museum of Youth Culture thread on a Conspiracy Forum website ? 

BC 

1 minute ago, Basket Case said:

What do they think about having their photos on a Museum of Youth Culture thread on a Conspiracy Forum website ? 

I've posted a link to this thread in our facebook group.

1 hour ago, RobSS said:

I've posted a link to this thread in our facebook group.

Ah shit wished I would of kept my mouth shut now. They aren't linked to this nutcase are they? 

movies_stephen_graham_this_is_england (1).jpg

Edited by Fluke
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Ah shit wished I would of kept my mouth shut now. They aren't linked to this nutcase are they? 

No, the chap in your photo was only about 9 years old when I took the photos, posted in this thread.

11 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Forgot to add.. the chap in your photo is not a real skinhead!

There's also the Coventry Music Museum, another independent museum which started up in 2010.

In the late 1970's and 80''s, Coventry was the centre of the musical Two-Tone scene. The Specials and The Selecter were from Coventry, and the museum has every single from the 2-Tone Record label on view!

http://www.covmm.co.uk/2016/

Some skins, but mainly mods - The video footage that's in colour, from the early 8t's, is just as I remember... bank holidays, beaches, parkas, Cortinas, Lambretta scooters, moonies, causing a stir in large crowds...

Edited by RobSS

I was thinking about the the 1964 'battle of Brighton Beach', and how seaside resorts became a bank holiday destination for mods and skinheads in the late 7t's and early 8ts. The most popular destinations were Brighton, Margate and Southend. I took 100s of photos from the period... the day was spent around the town centre, in bars and puns and around the beach, and late afternoon, we'd head back to London and have a choice of several bands to see, like Madness or the Cockney Rejects, etc. A few from Southend, 198t..

img184.jpg.a95396d3d755a3ecb18bc5e175475065.jpg

se01aa.jpg.bd1de034ead937dfcb46f9d56a507b55.jpg

img156.jpg.d91c8d30da412e296a984886a6f69f48.jpg

img204.jpg.cc22b9bb59296fbab368a1bd488dd617.jpg

Heading back towards London with a change at Barking:

img208.jpg.b857a4bfdfe4bf933035cd8efe664780.jpg

img211.jpg.6854119085fc0d9cbdb22117fddc5f09.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The problem that i see with gang culture is that gangs tend to exist as a surrogate father

They tend to absorb in young lads who don't have a father in the house and I don't personally believe that a gang can be a replacement for a father. I think that gangs can lead to a collectivised sort of mentality that can then feed into groupthink behaviour. Merkl for example was part of communist youth groups and as we know the nazis grew up in response to the communist takeover in russia and they had their own hitler youth groups.

We have seen an increase in neo-marxist feminism which has made some women very militantly anti-men and this creates antagonism. The state then incentivisies women to actually split up with their husbands by giving them the lions share in divorce settlements. So overly cynical and aggressive women drive men out of the home and the state then compensates those women. This then leads to more single parent homes and more young lads looking for a father without even knowing that is what they are doing and they end up in gangs or sometimes drawn into occult orders

Young lads without male role models may then repeat the cycle with their own failed relationships.

Gangs and occult orders obviously have their own culture within them and can be steered by nefarious people with nefarious goals. Who does this all suit? It suits marxists who want to destroy the family and replace parents and religion with the state where the state becomes both parent AND god to the alienated and atomised population

Edited by Macnamara
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Macnamara said:

The problem that i see with gang culture is that gangs tend to exist as a surrogate father

They tend to absorb in young lads who don't have a father in the house and I don't personally believe that a gang can be a replacement for a father. I think that gangs can lead to a collectivised sort of mentality that can then feed into groupthink behaviour. Merkl for example was part of communist youth groups and as we know the nazis grew up in response to the communist takeover in russia and they had their own hitler youth groups.

We have seen an increase in neo-marxist feminism which has made some women very militantly anti-men and this creates antagonism. The state then incentivisies women to actually split up with their husbands by giving them the lions share in divorce settlements. So overly cynical and aggressive women drive men out of the home and the state then compensates those women. This then leads to more single parent homes and more young lads looking for a father without even knowing that is what they are doing and they end up in gangs or sometimes drawn into occult orders

Gangs and occult orders obviously have their own culture within them and can be steered by nefarious people with nefarious goals. Who does this all suit? It suits marxists who want to destroy the family and replace parents and the religion with the state where the state becomes both parent AND god to the alienated and atomised population

For most of us, it wasn't anything to do with "gang culture". It was basically actually about just having fun and enjoying the music.

You weren't there, so it's not surprising you don't understand what it was really about. Of course some were into forming gangs and going out and causing trouble, but they tended to be associated with the extreme right. A lot of skins weren't interested in politics and had nothing to do with it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RobSS said:

For most of us, it wasn't anything to do with "gang culture". It was basically actually about just having fun and enjoying the music.

sure but it is still a gang that is filling a need for some young people in the modern world

1 minute ago, RobSS said:

You weren't there, so it's not surprising you don't understand what it was really about. Of course some were into forming gangs and going out and causing trouble, but they tended to be associated with the extreme right. A lot of skins weren't interested in politics and had nothing to do with it.

I didn't say that they did cause trouble

What i'm saying is that there is a potential with gangs for them to give in to groupthink and to lose their own individual identity in that. It can be a form of collectivisation and the other point i made is that it is often a surrogate for fathers and i personally feel that the direction that society needs to be moving in is to help families have stability and structure as i believe THAT is the best model for raising young

1 minute ago, Macnamara said:

sure but it is still a gang that is filling a need for some young people in the modern world

I didn't say that they did cause trouble

What i'm saying is that there is a potential with gangs for them to give in to groupthink and to lose their own individual identity in that. It can be a form of collectivisation and the other point i made is that it is often a surrogate for fathers and i personally feel that the direction that society needs to be moving in is to help families have stability and structure as i believe THAT is the best model for raising young

A lot of the people I knew, had fathers, came from happy, stable families, and weren't in gangs. I didn't see much evidence of group think. If anything, it was an exploration of individualism and a rebellion against the hive mind of society and the establishment. It was about breaking out, having fun, and enjoying music.

@Gjergj Skënderbeu

Some were into forming gangs and going out and causing trouble, but they tended to be associated with the extreme right and I'm not taking sides as if it were a sports game because, as I pointed out, for a lot of us, it wasn't about the left or right wing of politics because we weren't interested in politics. It was about having fun, going to lots of gigs and enjoying the music, so please don't try to politicise it. That's what the mainstream media tried to do because a lot of people hate it when people break out from the system to have fun without politics.

Edited by RobSS

A lot of the people I knew, had fathers, came from happy, stable families, and weren't in gangs. I didn't see much evidence of group think. If anything, it was an exploration of individualism and a rebellion against the hive mind of society and the establishment. It was about breaking out, having fun, and enjoying music.

ok rob you just go on invalidating my perfectly valid points if you like but it doesn't mean that there isn't truth in what i say

for a great example of what i'm saying look at the gang culture in the US and the breakdown of black families that has gone alongside it

And didn't you admit that the skinhead culture DID get led astray?

• Like 2

Just now, Macnamara said:

ok rob you just go on invalidating my perfectly valid points if you like but it doesn't mean that there isn't truth in what i say

You got things wrong and you weren't there. I'm explaining what the scene was originally about, so don't do what the mainstream media tried to do, and don't do what left wing intellectuals tried to and "intellectualise" it.

for a great example of what i'm saying look at the gang culture in the US and the breakdown of black families that has gone alongside it

And didn't you admit that the skinhead culture DID get led astray?

The skinhead culture got corrupted by politics as more and more extreme right wing thugs infiltrated and took over the scene. They caused trouble at concerts so that venues refused bands to play.

You got things wrong and you weren't there. I'm explaining what the scene was originally about, so don't do what the mainstream media tried to do, and don't do what left wing intellectuals tried to and "intellectualise" it.

Ok but in theory gangs can degenerate into the things i'm talking about

There is also a process that happens to humans when they become a crowd. People have written about the phenomenon

The skinhead culture got corrupted by politics as more and more extreme right wing thugs infiltrated and took over the scene. They caused trouble at concerts so that venues refused bands to play.

that's the kind of thing i'm talking about

Ok but in theory gangs can degenerate into the things i'm talking about

There is also a process that happens to humans when they become a crowd. People have written about the phenomenon

that's the kind of thing i'm talking about

Yes, it's crowd psychology and the same thing happens at football matches and even at protest demonstrations. It only takes a subsection to start causing trouble and then the media tarnishes the whole protest, and the same thing happened with the skinhead scene. A minority gave the majority a bad name.

There was an incident in Harlow, Essex where skinheads brought a gig to an end and they smashed up the pub. That was in the mid-1980's. When a lot of skinheads heard about what happened, there was a realisation that it was over and the lunatics had taken over the asylum, but in the preceding years, the naff elements weren't that many, and they weren't a problem. The scene grew too big and a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon who didn't understand what it was originally all about.

The scene grew too big and a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon who didn't understand what it was originally all about.

that's a shame but it does make you wonder if that is the fate of all movements?