TIME, what is it.

bobb

2 hours ago, Grumpy Grapes said:

But why can't our 'timeless' minds just quit this realm whenever they want?

I don't have proof, I'm just quoting some spiritual traditions here, so take it with a pinch of salt. But the implication is that our minds can experience timelessness while we're alive but it's only a temporary state (if that makes sense) because we're tethered to the time-bound material realm by the silver cord and if we sever the cord we die and can't come back. I have had a couple of brief out of body experiences, and plenty of no-time, space or ego through meditation but always coming back to "normality". 

Do you really want to quit this realm for good or just do some regular spiritual experiencing and journeying? Be careful what you wish for! 

11 hours ago, Grumpy Grapes said:

But why can't our 'timeless' minds just quit this realm whenever they want?

Its called a soul contract. We choose it. We go back to our true energetic self when the experience here ends. 

You choose to make it difficult or easier during the experience depending on how you progress through the tough stuff. 

1 hour ago, RobinJ said:

Its called a soul contract. We choose it. We go back to our true energetic self when the experience here ends. 

You choose to make it difficult or easier during the experience depending on how you progress through the tough stuff. 

What do you mean by soul contract the soul contract with who? Are you saying we have soul contract with God but God does not want us to know about it and work out the good and evil on are own and when we master it come back to God in the end after we master it?

22 hours ago, Lilymoon said:

What do you mean by soul contract the soul contract with who? Are you saying we have soul contract with God but God does not want us to know about it and work out the good and evil on are own and when we master it come back to God in the end after we master it?

There is no single god. We are all pieces or expressions of the divine.

A soul contract is between us and our soul family who agree on the experiences we will have while here, so as to learn. 

No such thing as good and evil either.

This is a very big subject and not easily explained in a couple of sentences. Plenty of research rabbit holes to go down if you choose to open that door.

On 11/25/2023 at 9:41 PM, Grumpy Grapes said:

Bringing this thread back to the subject of time - if this world is a 'time trap', why can't our supposedly 'timeless' minds break free from it? For all the talk of meditation and altered states of consciousness, none of those religious/New Age teachers have broke free. 

I don't know what you mean by break free...

But no one has ever experienced time. 

Can you break free from the illusion of time? No, because time is a quality or limitation of the human mind. And everyone, sages included experiences through human mind

On 11/27/2023 at 12:40 PM, RobinJ said:

If you think about it though, every time you meditate or are in that zone, you 'lose time ' so yes you can break free and see more. We break free, if you want to view it that way, when our energy leaves the physical body. Its achievable for very long periods of 'time''. Monks do that for most of their day, every day.

Time roots us to this reality. It doesn't exist elsewhere. Its part of the fake veil we live under.

You do not have to enter meditation.

Just stop now.

Can you experience time?

Check it out.

Can you go to a past or a future? Where are these imaginary past and futures meant to exist?

No special training or meditation required 

43 minutes ago, Mr H said:

Can you go to a past or a future? Where are these imaginary past and futures meant to exist?

Wherever I am, is the present time by definition. "Where are these imaginary past and futures" is a contradictory question because "are" is the present tense and the past and future exist apart from the present. So you'd be looking in the wrong place: "looking" is similarly present tense. 

So bringing these things together, if I want to time travel to the past or future, I'm asking for "me looking" to be a bubble of present time projected into an environment of past or future time. And then for the bubble to return back to its own present environment. We'd need to create a boundary in time like a space suit to separate the bubble of present-ness from what's outside. I can't imagine what might do that, perhaps the event horizon of a black hole is a starting point, as long as you can get back home! 

4 minutes ago, Campion said:

Wherever I am, is the present time by definition. "Where are these imaginary past and futures" is a contradictory question because "are" is the present tense and the past and future exist apart from the present. So you'd be looking in the wrong place: "looking" is similarly present tense. 

So bringing these things together, if I want to time travel to the past or future, I'm asking for "me looking" to be a bubble of present time projected into an environment of past or future time. And then for the bubble to return back to its own present environment. We'd need to create a boundary in time like a space suit to separate the bubble of present-ness from what's outside. I can't imagine what might do that, perhaps the event horizon of a black hole is a starting point, as long as you can get back home! 

You say past and future exist separate from present.

Are you sure?

It's not just existing in your imagination?

That's why it's inaccessible objectively. Can't literally go somewhere that exists in your mind as a memory or future dream.

Just speaking from experience and keeping it simple.

In my 40 odd years I have never EVER experienced a past or future, nor will I ever likely to. Why pay it any attention other than for practical purposes?

Why believe something you can never ever experience?

Like believing in the tooth fairy. Yes your tooth disappeared but it weren't the fairy! Similarly the sun goes round and round and so does my watch, but like the fairy, its not her....

Edited by Mr H

1 hour ago, Mr H said:

I don't know what you mean by break free...

But no one has ever experienced time. 

Can you break free from the illusion of time? No, because time is a quality or limitation of the human mind. And everyone, sages included experiences through human mind

It depends on what you mean by TIME. For me it is the MEANINGFUL sequential flow of connected events that allow us to to make sense of our world. I buy a lottery ticket, then I win the lottery. It can't be the other way round - that doesn't make sense. 

31 minutes ago, Grumpy Grapes said:

It depends on what you mean by TIME. For me it is the MEANINGFUL sequential flow of connected events that allow us to to make sense of our world. I buy a lottery ticket, then I win the lottery. It can't be the other way round - that doesn't make sense. 

This is true and we have to be clear about our definitions.

I completely concur with your analysis.

Time is essential for us to make sense of anything in a linear fashion. Otherwise our experience would be utter chaos.

1 hour ago, Mr H said:

You say past and future exist separate from present.

Are you sure?

It's not just existing in your imagination?

That's why it's inaccessible objectively. Can't literally go somewhere that exists in your mind as a memory or future dream.

Well I'm being pedantic as usual and starting from a linguistic, grammatical point (not that language creates reality though). Language uses the three tenses of past, present and future, so it's bound to be false to say 'the past exists' or 'the future exists'. We can instead say that the past did exist, the future will exist. If the past does exist somewhere then it's no longer the past but it's present. 

Yes my mind does contain a map of all three. I could argue that the present doesn't really exist either apart from a convenient concept for living our lives together. How long does the present "moment" last, before it moves away into the past? One second, half, one tenth of a second, a microsecond? You can keep on salami slicing time until you approach zero and the present disappears to nothing.

Edited by Campion

1 hour ago, Campion said:

Well I'm being pedantic as usual and starting from a linguistic, grammatical point (not that language creates reality though). Language uses the three tenses of past, present and future, so it's bound to be false to say 'the past exists' or 'the future exists'. We can instead say that the past did exist, the future will exist. If the past does exist somewhere then it's no longer the past but it's present. 

Yes my mind does contain a map of all three. I could argue that the present doesn't really exist either apart from a convenient concept for living our lives together. How long does the present "moment" last, before it moves away into the past? One second, half, one tenth of a second, a microsecond? You can keep on salami slicing time until you approach zero and the present disappears to nothing.

Yes it is difficult to speak about these things with the languages at hand. And there will be many contradictions as a result.

Indeed your mind does contain the map, that is where it resides, in mind. Memory and images.

We cannot divide present into moments as that implies time.

The best we can say is the eternally ever present now, and if we check with our experience what time is it? At all times, it is now o'clock.

• Thanks 1