TIME, what is it.

bobb

1 minute ago, webtrekker said:

Ok. By lifting a magnet and placing it on a fridge you are carrying out work and, because the magnet is then moving against gravity, then it will gain energy.

Once placed on the fridge it will no longer be moving ,so will not expend any energy due to it not having any work to do. It will stay there indefinitely.

Now, I'm no expert, but maybe after many times of removing and replacing the magnet (as people often do to clean the fridge or just create a new arrangement) the magnet will gradually become demagnetised.

I see. What is keeping it on the fridge? Otherwise I could lift a glass bottle up to a fridge and it should stay there as it has no work to do?

6 minutes ago, jois said:

All true. But now it has stored gravitational potential energy. Ie it want to fall.this being resisted by the magnetic attraction. Which is ongoing work

Like holding a bag of potatoes

Not quite the same.

By expending energy holding up a bag of potatoes against gravity the energy is being used up by your muscles. In the case of the fridge magnet there is nowhere for the energy to go, it stays in the system.

11 minutes ago, TheConsultant said:

I see. What is keeping it on the fridge? Otherwise I could lift a glass bottle up to a fridge and it should stay there as it has no work to do?

Again, there's nothing special about a magnet. If you lifted the magnet up to a wooden door would it stay there?

Just now, webtrekker said:

Not quite the same.

By expending energy holding up a bag of potatoes against gravity the energy is being used up by your muscles. In the case of the fridge magnet there is nowhere for the energy to go, it stays in the system.

.well the energy to resist gravity is coming from somewhere.its not a closed system so it's going somewhere. It's not a perpetual machine with no losses.such being impossible..so if it doesn't come from the electro magnatism of the magnet. Where does it come from

Just now, webtrekker said:

Again, there's nothing special about a magnet. If you lifted the magnet up to a wooden door would it stay there?

No, but that is not the point I was making. A lump of metal before it becomes a magnet, what determines it being magnetic or not? Its structural alignment. Essnentially coherency of charge.

A magnet is point source, its incredibly special. Most of our technology comes from or involves magnets whether that is step up/down transformers, converting mechanical movement to electrical, hard drives, phones, pretty much every technology requires a magnet on some level.

2 minutes ago, TheConsultant said:

What keeps the Earth rotating?

momentum

A body moving with no friction / drag will keep moving for ever

The earth however has both and is very slowly slowing down

Edited by jois

2 minutes ago, webtrekker said:

It is slowing down, due to tidal force caused by the orbiting Moon.

To be accurate it's slowing down as the moon is stealing its energy. To escape the gravitational well

Just now, jois said:

To be accurate it's slowing down as the moon is stealing its energy. To escape the gravitational well

and the Earth has a magnetosphere, and we spin which is a time variable. Free energy for anyone smart enough to tap in to it. Same goes for stellar radiation/the rest of the electromagnetic spectrum, all there for free and I can assure 1. its real, 2. it involves magnets and understanding them. 3. breaks many laws of physics, hence me stating all of the things I have so far in this thread. 

Although this thread was intended to be about Time, it's turning into quite a thought-provoking general science thread. I think this is one thread where drifting off-topic is actually more entertaining! 😀

I admit to not having answers for many of the posts but it's good to keep the old grey matter in working order!

• Like 1

Just now, TheConsultant said:

and the Earth has a magnetosphere, and we spin which is a time variable. Free energy for anyone smart enough to tap in to it. Same goes for stellar radiation/the rest of the electromagnetic spectrum, all there for free and I can assure 1. its real, 2. it involves magnets and understanding them. 3. breaks many laws of physics, hence me stating all of the things I have so far in this thread. 

All energy we use is free. To someone.

The issue is one harnessing it is expensive and transporting it is expensive and they want a profit

If they could pluck energy out of the magnetosphere. It would still be exspensive

1 minute ago, jois said:

If they could pluck energy out of the magnetosphere. It would still be exspensive

Can already do that :) and transporting it is a non issue when a device the size of a pack of cigarettes can power an entire house. All for the cost of approximately a pack of 20 cigarettes.

Edited by TheConsultant

5 minutes ago, TheConsultant said:

Can already do that :) and transporting it is a non issue when a device the size of a pack of cigarettes can power an entire house. All for the cost of approximately a pack of 20 cigarettes.

Well no... But let's run with it as a lesson in economics

If someone invented and obviously patent ed such a device

Would they 1) give the technology for the good of mankind

2) sell it to a big organisation who would charge thousands to buy and a yearly licence fee

My money is on the second

Edited by jois

1 minute ago, jois said:

Well no... But let's run with it as a lesson in economics

If someone invented and obviously patent ed such a device

Would 1) give the technology for the good of mankind

2) sell it to a big organisation who would charge thousands to buy and a yearly licence fee

My money is on the second

It already exists. As do LED based panels that work day or night much like solar panels work, but utilise the wider electromagnetic spectrum of light rather than just the solar radiation 'portion.' 

Think of it like this, a pair of headphones can act as both a speaker and a microphone (although it sucks to use as one, but you can) a LED is much the same, and as such an open circuit can be created to absorb such energy. Day or night. 

1 minute ago, TheConsultant said:

It already exists. As do LED based panels that work day or night much like solar panels work, but utilise the wider electromagnetic spectrum of light rather than just the solar radiation 'portion.' 

Think of it like this, a pair of headphones can act as both a speaker and a microphone (although it sucks to use as one, but you can) a LED is much the same, and as such an open circuit can be created to absorb such energy. Day or night. 

You may need to post the schematic for that

5 minutes ago, TheConsultant said:

Could you pick up electro magnet energy ?definetly could you power anything meaning full off it ?. Need some sort of evidence

Edited by jois

1 minute ago, TheConsultant said:

Depends on the LED array, I saw a video of someone producing 900w from an array of 1900 pinhole diodes day or night.

You need to pick one

Either it's earth stakes or it led working backwards

For the earth stake one there is a good chance he is picking up early leakage from the existent grid

I spent an unfortunate amount of time working out the leakage from earth rods

Just now, jois said:

You need to pick one

Either it's earth stakes or it led working backwards

For the earth stake one there is a good chance he is picking up early leakage from the existent grid

I spent an unfortunate amount of time working out the leakage from earth rods

The Earth is part of the circuit isn't it? Otherwise its not a circuit, its just an LED with some wiring. An open circuit requires an earth, the positive is stemming from the LED, the negative is ground.