Christmas 2021

RobSS

I was two years old when that came out but it brings back great memories of Christmas at my nana's house where we would all sit and watch the Two Ronnie's Christmas Special, Abba would be on the telly along with bands like Fleetwood Mac, the early 80's were great for innocent and happy times of TV light entertainment for all the family.

I caught Morecambe and Wise when they moved to ITV.... kind of dimly aware of them as a child...I quite vividly remember the death of Eric Morecambe.... the country seemed totally distraught though strangely as a kid I preferred Ernie Wise.... and as a kid I thought....what's he going to do with himself now? Not a lot..... Ernie Wise seemed to disappear completely when Eric died.

Edited by Truthspoon
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Truthspoon said:

I was two years old when that came out but it brings back great memories of Christmas at my nana's house where we would all sit and watch the Two Ronnie's Christmas Special, Abba would be on the telly along with bands like Fleetwood Mac, the early 80's were great for innocent and happy times of TV light entertainment for all the family.

I caught Morecambe and Wise when they moved to ITV.... kind of dimly aware of them as a child...I quite vividly remember the death of Eric Morecambe.... the country seemed totally distraught though strangely as a kid I preferred Ernie Wise.... and as a kid I thought....what's he going to do with himself now? Not a lot..... Ernie Wise seemed to disappear completely when Eric died.

I was reflecting on what I'd posted and was concerned that most of the comic material was from the 70's, but as you say, that period, and the 80's, were happy/innocent TV for the family. There appears to have been nothing like it, on that scale and quality, before or since.

You're right about Ernie Wise fading from public view after Eric Morecambe died in 1984. Ernie Wise lived on for another 15 years. They were very much a double act and relied on each other, whereas the two Ronnie's were a brilliant double-act, but could more easily hold their own individually. When Ronnie Barker died in 2005, Ronnie Corbett carried on in show business for a few years. He died, aged 85, in 2016.

Ernie Wise lived in South Harrow (a suburb of West London), just a few streets from where I grew up. He lived in a toll road. Not many toll roads left. In the olden days, some streets you had to pay to drive through. Eventually, they just became private roads and only residents with a key for gate could access the road.

A lot of the Christmas holiday comedy sketches have dated, but the ones I've posted, I hope have a more timeless appeal. I can't think of any really classic comedy sketches that are more recent, and it's not because there aren't any - I'm sure there are - it's just that I haven't watched TV since about 2010, so if anyone knows of any more recent good sketches or song performances, related to Christmas, please do share... anything from any period. It'd be great to see any good Christmas TV comedy from the 50's or 60's that would still be funny for an audience today.

• Thanks 1