Who Picks Mods, How Does It Work?

Doc

30 minutes ago, DaleP said:

But I get that the decision was made in the best interest of the forum for the moment and I appreciate that. 

That's an almighty assumption. But to start over once the mess had been made, yes that was eventually the right decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macnamara said:

not just that but the forum advisors are NOT independent of the moderators and know each other off the forum

what a joke!

and if you point out these clear and obvious problems? well you will be attacked

I will simply say for the record that @Bombadil is a top bloke and worked his nuts off to make this place better, and to make moderating as pleasant and productive experience as possible. The two of us made a good team, and I was saddened by what went on.

1 hour ago, Macnamara said:

not just that but the forum advisors are NOT independent of the moderators and know each other off the forum

what a joke!

and if you point out these clear and obvious problems? well you will be attacked

With respect. I don’t know anyone on this forum in the real world. Or mods etc. At least as far as I know

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bombadil said:

With respect. I don’t know anyone on this forum in the real world. Or mods etc. At least as far as I know

but you aren't a moderator

there is only one moderator and that is ink/lake etc and they know mitochondrial eve off the forum

therefore the two bodies are not independent

this was raised by myself when i was a member of staff and not only was this issue not addressed but i was attacked for it

i can't believe how naive people are here. This is supposed to be a forum of the awake....not clownworld

I think Lake should be given some leeway here

As far as I know they had retired to their private Caribbean island. Where they spend all day fishing and having sun tan lotion applied by female Ukrainian refugees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beaujangles said:

It could be said that there are members who know each other off the forum Mac. Can you imagine if a certain group of 'friends' started to manipulate the moderator situation. I think the whole situation is best left to those whose forum it is and who they trust to do the job.

yes and they trusted sean too once upon a time and then there was the peoples voice....

an they trusted jump rogue

and they trusted mighty zhiba and his woke gang

maybe they should do their recruitment at the clownschool from now on

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bombadil said:

I think Lake should be given some leeway here

As far as I know they had retired to their private Caribbean island. Where they spend all day fishing and having sun tan lotion applied by female Ukrainian refugees.

they have NEVER retired

even when they said they were retired they were in fact a secret moderator

they were then called out CORRECTLY by golden retriever as having secret mod powers

and if they closed their 'lake' account this time, like they closed their 'ink' account how would you know that they aren't just operating under a new username?

5 minutes ago, Macnamara said:

the two bodies are not independent

this was raised by myself when i was a member of staff and not only was this issue not addressed but i was attacked for it

It looks as though it'll simply keep repeating itself, as what happened with you and previous mods, happened to myself and @Bombadil, and will likely happen to whoever naively agrees to take the job on next.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beaujangles said:

. So long as the job is done according to guidelines set out by Admin I think thats all we can ask

we've been over that before...

the rules are so vague that if they were applied to the letter each time there would be no one left here unbanned

there will ALWAYS be interpretation so really it comes down to establishing who is acting in good faith and who isn't because bad actors can always game the system

40 minutes ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

I cannot work with my hands tied and being constantly undermined by others. And I did not appreciate the manner in which it was done.

the forum advisor role has been a disaster

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

I will simply say for the record that @Bombadil is a top bloke and worked his nuts off to make this place better, and to make moderating as pleasant and productive experience as possible. The two of us made a good team, and I was saddened by what went on.

you two would be my picks for mods and i would axe the forum advisors

Just now, Macnamara said:

you two would be my picks for mods and i would axe the forum advisors

The FA system might work if the "evidence" called upon by them is allowed to remain on the forum, and accessible to the mods for however long it is needed. If that keeps vanishing, the mods cannot do their job.

9 minutes ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

It looks as though it'll simply keep repeating itself, as what happened with you and previous mods, happened to myself and @Bombadil, and will likely happen to whoever naively agrees to take the job on next.

for as long as forum advisors exist and believe that their role is to act as lawyers for the bad actors the bad actors will always have the run of  the forum

its like having a police chief who won't shoot active shooters in schools

1 minute ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

The FA system might work if the "evidence" called upon by them is allowed to remain on the forum, and accessible to the mods for however long it is needed. If that keeps vanishing, the mods cannot do their job.

vanishing posts, vanishing people, whole forums vanishing sometimes....

no wonder trust is kaput

1 minute ago, Macnamara said:

for as long as forum advisors exist and believe that their role is to act as lawyers for the bad actors the bad actors will always have the run of  the forum

its like having a police chief who won't shoot active shooters in schools

If whoever runs this place wants the bad actors to remain, then by all means...but do not expect mods to endlessly rake over their actions as though black were white. I simply said I was not here to engage in that sort of nonsense. I call a spade a spade. Everyone can see I'm just straightforward in that sense. No time for games or mental gymnastics for the sake of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

If whoever runs this place wants the bad actors to remain, then by all means...but do not expect mods to endlessly rake over their actions as though black were white.

that guy was a trolling prick

i was sharing hard evidence with him on the covid thread and he responded with a clown meme. he showed bad faith, you made a good call

24 minutes ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

So can you think of a solution though? 😟

9 minutes ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

If whoever runs this place wants the bad actors to remain, then by all means...but do not expect mods to endlessly rake over their actions as though black were white. I simply said I was not here to engage in that sort of nonsense. I call a spade a spade. Everyone can see I'm just straightforward in that sense. No time for games or mental gymnastics for the sake of it.

There will always be bad actors. They just can't keep away from here because we are the force to reckon with. 🤗

8 minutes ago, DaleP said:

There will always be bad actors.

the purpose of moderation is to moderate them

if forum advisors exist and believe their purpose is to represent the interests of the bad actors and not the forum then there will be no moderation going on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

What went on? Have I missed something. This time last week you and Bombadil sorted that problem I had as moderators?!? 

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

What went on? Have I missed something. This time last week you and Bombadil sorted that problem I had as moderators?!? 

Yeah that was the stuff we were doing, and I think @Bombadil and myself were doing a decent job of it. We were totally up for it, and applying ourselves without ego. And then the old trolling nonsense got dragged up again, and was needlessly raked over, and "evidence" was asked for that simply no longer exists because it had all been wiped from the forum. It's like asking a lawyer to take on a case without anything to go on whatsoever, other than their own recollection.

If @lake is to be believed, and this is what I have been told, it is my reluctance to play silly buggers with the FA over known trolls, and my insistence that the combined recollections of two mods were 100% united on what the trolling had been, even though we were left unable to bring that evidence into the discussion.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

"evidence" was asked for that simply no longer exists because it had all been wiped from the forum. It's like asking a lawyer to take on a case without anything to go on whatsoever, other than their own recollection.

those games will always go on when there is no transparency

Edited by Macnamara

41 minutes ago, Macnamara said:

the purpose of moderation is to moderate them

if forum advisors exist and believe their purpose is to represent the interests of the bad actors and not the forum then there will be no moderation going on

I was an FA for a while, and I have no problem putting the pros and cons of genuine cases to them, and hearing their views. However, if the case has already been gone over and the evidence no longer exists (because it mysteriously disappears) then I have a problem. We all have a problem.

Why do mods, who spend ages clearing out the garbage from this place and helping out peeps with small things that smooth the whole experiences, have to then also indulge in pointless "devils advocate" discussions over old issues and users which are a total non-starter. It's an abuse of the FA system.

• lake locked this topic
  • Bombadil unlocked this topic