Any quick ways to get rid of blocked ears?

Fluke

I am not sure if you have tried it or not, but salt water might help. Dissolve some Himalayan salt in hot water, wait for it to cool a bit, then try that. Because it is Himalayan Salt, it will probably be really good for the ears. Just a thought, worth a try.

• Thanks 1

Weird. I have a blocked ear too right now. No apparent infection, just wax.

I am using medical grade olive oil drops. Bit already making their way out but I warn you it's a slow process. I've been at it 10 days, and doc. said it could take 3 weeks doing it that way. But ear popped tonight and I could hear the ticking clock! Then went a bit blahhh again.

Not sure if you have an outer ear infection that oil is best though.

I think you can also buy OTC eardrops for swimmer's ear. Check at the chemist's. Pharmacist might be able to advise?

I've heard colloidal silver can help an ear infection but haven't tried it for that, and not sure if that would work with the wax in there?

• Thanks 1

I for several years now regularly suffer from blocked ears, usually one or the other but rarely both at the same time, and its usually following a period of nasal/sinus congestion, for example a minor 'cold'. In most cases, it generally 'clears up' itself after a couple of days.

First piece of advice, NEVER use cotton buds to try and clear out earwax, that just makes the problem worse as all you do is push down and 'compact' any ear wax that has built up.

Second piece of advice, if a doctor or nurse prescribes you 'ear drops', don't waste your money. Several years ago, when I first had a serious ear blockage, I visited a local walk-in clinic, where after a nurse took a look inside my ears, she gave me a prescription for 'ear drops' ,told me to take them for a few days to 'soften' the blockage, then to come back and see her and she would 'syringe' my ear.

Took the prescription to a local chemist (Lloyds Pharmacy), handed over £11, and received in return two little bottles of olive oil drops, which I later found would have cost only £1.50 each if I'd picked them up off the shelf. In the past, when I've visited chemists, they've often advised if prescribed medicines are available cheaper off the shelf, but not in this case. (To this day, I've never set foot in any Lloyds Pharmacy as a result of this con) Despite my annoyance at this, I did use the olive oil drops for three days before returning to the same walk-in centre, where the nurse did flush out my ear and I could hear again properly!

A couple of years later, I had the same problem again, this time after a bit of research I bought some Otex ear drops from Wilko. It's a little more expensive than regular olive oil, but is available 'over-the-counter' and you can buy from supermarkets. It does seem to work on its own, though you do need a few days of application. It has some active ingredient that releases oxygen to help break down the wax buildup, which causes the 'fizzing' sensation when you apply it.

I then turned up at another local walk-in clinic after work, in the hope that some nice friendly nurse would then be able to use their ear syringing equipment to 'flush out' the remaining wax build-up so I could hear properly again. I got a bit pissy though when I was told that I would need to make an appointment, which made a mockery of the clinic being a 'walk-in centre'. 🙄

If you look on eBay you can buy these 'home ear syringing kits', which are not as advanced or sophisticated as the equipment used by nurses at GP clinics and walk-in centres, but the principle is the same. Its basically a 50ml syringe, with a soft plastic tri-jet nozzle. Fill it with warm water, insert into your ear, and then squeeze while tipping your head to the side and rotating the syringe. The tri-jet nozzle injects a stream of warm water around the loosened wax blockage, which should then break it up and flush it out.

Since I bought one of these, I've never needed to visit an NHS facility, I can sort myself out at home. It doesn't always work first time, and sometimes needs a couple of applications, but I'd recommend leaving it a day before flushing again. If you get blobs of 'brown goo' coming out, then you know its working.

As with anything, it can take a few days to 'work its course', so it is important to be patient. There is of course the possibility of an ear infection causing your blocked ear(s), which ear wax flushing won't solve, and could possibly make matters worse.

Here's what I do, put some warm water in a cup, tepid so it's not cold and not hot, add a pinch of salt, table salt i find okay it helps neutralise the chlorine in the water otherwise it stings like your at the local swimming baths, then take a syringe and fill with water from the cup, now this bit takes practice, what you are aiming to do is gargle with the water the same as you would do with your throat but with your nose, cover one nostril breath out and then breathe in slowly through the open nostril and then slowly inject the water from the syringe into the air stream and try to lift the water up your nose but not so much as you swallow it, it tastes yuk, as i say it does take a bit of practice to get it right and when you feel you are coming to the end of inhalation blow it out in the sink, once you have mastered this technique you will find all kinds of interesting things to examine in the sink, it is surprising how so much junk can be lurking away in the plumbing of your ears, nose and throat, I even managed to blow out what looked like a slug once and I am not joking when I say the colour of it was luminous green, I showed the wife and she screamed, I said but hang on that was in my head a moment ago and you were not screaming then, she just told me to get lost, pah girls eh!🙄

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely hear you @Grumpy Owl Huge rip-off going on. Nasty.

I was lucky. I got mine on a free prescription. I guess maybe because I'm ancient.  And wonder of wonders, something....either that or divine intervention suddenly made my ears pop one morning, some wax came out naturally, and there's been no problem ever since. It did take close on 3 weeks but I am a patient old sod in many ways. I get vertigo if I get my ears flushed, so am grateful I didn't have to go there, especially with having to drive home afterwards.

15 minutes ago, Truthspoon said:

Hydrogen peroxide.

Was about to suggest the very same. Cheap, safe and easy. Just get an "eye dropper", a few drops in the ear canal. Let it sit a while (you'll feel a tickle and hear slight bubbling). Put a tissues over the ear to catch the drainage, then lay on the other side and repeat on next ear. Done this since I was a wee kitten. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingKitty said:

Was about to suggest the very same. Cheap, safe and easy. Just get an "eye dropper", a few drops in the ear canal. Let it sit a while (you'll feel a tickle and hear slight bubbling). Put a tissues over the ear to catch the drainage, then lay on the other side and repeat on next ear. Done this since I was a wee kitten. 

And don't wear your best shirt while doing it. I made that mistake once.

• 4 weeks later...