Any mushroom pickers here.

When i get the time yeah. Best thing i ever discovered was chicken of the woods. Amazing vibrant reddish thing, and tastes great cooked. That was in the US though, and i've not seen them in the UK. Down in Kernow we get shrooms pretty late in the year, i remember picking magis in December before.

Need to build my database of knowledge still. A future of living off of shrooms, muscles/limpets and berries isn't far off, and to be honest, doesn't sound like the worst diet ever.

Did you identify the pavement shroom?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fluke said:

Treated myself to this book over the weekend and just got stuck into it.

I went picking today after work and plan to make soup. 

I tried a pavement mushroom yesterday and it wasn't great tasting.

51N63Z2J5SL.jpg

Pavement mushroom sounds like a Viz euphemism for dogshit.....

I can't imagine there being edibles left... the season has gone and the frost makes them dormant until the next growing season....

Edited by Truthspoon
  • Haha 1

Love picking mushrooms..... never had much luck with magic mushrooms but then I lived in London and I could never be bothered to get up early enough to hit the well-known patches like Hampstead Heath. 

I had much more luck picking edibles and have found all sorts from chicken of the woods, to Penny Buns, Morels, Parasols, Chanterelles, Trumpets of death (that's a translation of the French name, don't know the English one...... 

One thing I still need to try is Caesar's mushroom...but it only grows in parts of Southern Europe.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fluke said:

Treated myself to this book over the weekend and just got stuck into it.

I went picking today after work and plan to make soup. 

I tried a pavement mushroom yesterday and it wasn't great tasting.

51N63Z2J5SL.jpg

Was the soup nice? 

33 minutes ago, Truthspoon said:

Love picking mushrooms..... never had much luck with magic mushrooms but then I lived in London and I could never be bothered to get up early enough to hit the well-known patches like Hampstead Heath. 

I had much more luck picking edibles and have found all sorts from chicken of the woods, to Penny Buns, Morels, Parasols, Chanterelles, Trumpets of death (that's a translation of the French name, don't know the English one...... 

One thing I still need to try is Caesar's mushroom...but it only grows in parts of Southern Europe.

Theres a small stone circle in the peak district called the nine ladies and the surrounding cow fields in that area used to be filled with magic mushrooms, thousands. You could find them on the surrounding heather and scrub as well if it was a good season.

That was the 90's though lol but I should think it's still a hotspot.

Edited by Itsa
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Itsa said:

Theres a small stone circle in the peak district called the nine ladies and the surrounding cow fields in that area used to be filled with magic mushrooms, thousands. You could find them on the surrounding heather and scrub as well if it was a good season.

That was the 90's though lol but I should think it's still a hotspot.

Appreciate the tip....One year I really need to get my shit together and devote a month to hoovering up magic mushrooms. Probably get myself a crazy camper van for the purpose and tour the country......... but to be honest I preferred LSD or even morning glory seeds over shrooms.... they made me quite introverted...

I bought one of those kits once where you can grow those crazy South American magic mushrooms.... they were fantastic...

Edited by Truthspoon

13 minutes ago, Truthspoon said:

Appreciate the tip....One year I really need to get my shit together and devote a month to hoovering up magic mushrooms. Probably get myself a crazy camper van for the purpose and tour the country......... but to be honest I preferred LSD or even morning glory seeds over shrooms.... they made me quite introverted...

I bought one of those kits once where you can grow those crazy South American magic mushrooms.... they were fantastic...

Yeah it's been a while but I wouldn't mind picking a few sometime.

First time I went to that location was the first time I took mushrooms. We filled one of those big glass jars you used to get quality street in about three quarters full in a few hours. It didn't take us long to get stuck into them and I learned a few harsh lessons that day for sure 😅

Edited by Itsa
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I picked some today brown ones I can't identify them yet but thinking of eating them later on.

Post a picture. I should be able to tell you what they are.....and whether they're even worth eating because most mushrooms are not poisonous, just not worth eating because they have no taste, are watery or have no texture...

• Like 1

Puffballs are nice but way out of season now I think, in most parts of the UK. They have to be picked when really white in the middle.  Don't eat them if not pure milky white. Then no, they are not so scrumptious on their own. But sliced and fried in something nice like coconut or sesame oil, with a bit of crushed garlic and maybe a sprinkle or two of Tamari....delicious