All electric cars by 2030?

GregC

On 6/4/2023 at 6:47 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

Fiat launches scrappage scheme to help EV buyers

from: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/motors/2023/06/02/fiat-launches-scrappage-scheme-to-help-ev-buyers/

Even with this grant, £25k for a little 'dinky' car?

You can pick up a decent second-hand 6 year old Fiat 500 for around £4k:

https://www.tradecentreuk.com/cars/fiat/500/10375

scrappage scheme killed classic cars

• 3 weeks later...

My theory on all this is that most people won’t be able to afford electric cars so will keep their current petrol/diesel until they are run into the ground. Cities will continue to charge more for ‘polluting’ cars and eventually you’ll either have to go electric or use public transport.

However, buses and trains will insist on the covid style app to be shown before you board and that’ll mean either you are jabbed every time they want you to be, or you have no mode of transport…. Other than bicycles and walking. 15 minute cities will be forced upon most people because of this and then you are left with nowhere to go. Especially if shops in that 15 minute zone also insist on the app. 

That’s how I see it….

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

electric cars are really just the stepping stone to DRIVERLESS CARS

This is because when you drive the car you get to decide where the car goes but when a computer drives the car the people who control the computer get to decide where the car can go

Their aim is that you won't own cars. You will have to order a car and can only use one if your social credit score is high enough

The car will then arrive and you will ask it to take you to your desired destination. But perhaps you can't go to that beauty spot you have loved visiting so much because now that is within a 'rewilding zone' and only members of the world economic forum are allowed access to it

Edited by Macnamara
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2023 at 11:33 PM, bamboozooka said:

no one buys a brand new car any more.

its all leased.

owning nothing and being happy

i'll buy a 60k ev when its depreciated down to 12k

Sort of true in our case, my wife has a motability car through her pips payments as she is fully disabled and I'm her named driver. A nosey neighbour said 'It's alright for you, you're lapping it up, a free car just because you're lucky enough to have a disabled wife, you've landed on your feet ain't yer'? Well she pays £60.00 a week out of her disability allowance, and that covers, tax, insurance, tyres, services and parts replacement, full breakdown and recovery, or a replacement car and any MOT due! I put the juice in and take her wherever! We've just got our new car, an MG HS, and because we looked after the old one, we had a lump sum paid into my wife's account, we're using that for a few days away in Norwich in September as my wife has now been diagnosed with more heart problems and she could do with a little break!

We will never own the car, but neither will we have any major bills if it goes wrong, so, own nothing, and be happy is totally true in this case! I know this car isn't ours to use  through the goodness of the governments heart, it's a business, plain and simple, but we do take advantage of that deal, and sixty quid a week wouldn't go far if we relied on taxis and public transport!

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Mr Crabtree said:

you're lucky enough to have a disabled wife

I would imagine that both you, and your wife, are equally thrilled at her being lucky enough to be fully disabled. Think of all those wonderful places you cant visit because of no access for disabled. Then there is the wonderful opportunity to be in too much pain and discomfort to do anything most days. Added to that she has been, I presume, given a splendid cocktail of pharmaceuticals to be experimented on by her G.P. Most of which will barely reduce the issues she faces every second of every day. And most likely cause significant other effects.

I think your neighbour is a complete prick. I remember mates years ago who commented on benefits scrounges. Not realising one day it could be them. I bet your neighbour took all the handouts offered during lockdowns and energy increases.

At least you are full of humour. Whether a blessing or nightmare for your good lady, I don’t know.😀

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bombadil said:

I would imagine that both you, and your wife, are equally thrilled at her being lucky enough to be fully disabled. Think of all those wonderful places you cant visit because of no access for disabled. Then there is the wonderful opportunity to be in too much pain and discomfort to do anything most days. Added to that she has been, I presume, given a splendid cocktail of pharmaceuticals to be experimented on by her G.P. Most of which will barely reduce the issues she faces every second of every day. And most likely cause significant other effects.

I think your neighbour is a complete prick. I remember mates years ago who commented on benefits scrounges. Not realising one day it could be them. I bet your neighbour took all the handouts offered during lockdowns and energy increases.

At least you are full of humour. Whether a blessing or nightmare for your good lady, I don’t know.😀

I prefer not to say in case I incriminate myself He's the same neighbour who told me I had to get the jab because it was  THE LAW!😄 The other day I filled two builders skip bags with tree branches, hedge cuttings and other garden stuff, he came put and said 'you wanna hit me? hit me, and then I can put you in hospital'! 'Go on, I'll put both hands behind my back, you can hit me, then, I 'll  massacre you'! It turned out that someone had put a very small branch from a fir tree on his car roof so, I was cutting the hedge etc and it could only be me! The fact that we haven't even got fir trees didn't matter, the fact that I had two massive bags of damson branches and privet hedge cutting didn't matter either! I told him this and he said 'I'll let you off this time' I said 'let me off you daft old cunt? I'm not a fucking firework'! He's 86 and still wears his black face mask and gloves if he goes out anywhere, our little cul-de-sac is called Ninfield Place so a few of the local kids call him the 'Ninfield Ninja'🤫 He said 'you haven't been here five minutes, I was the first to move into this street, that's why we live at number one, how long you been here'? I said 'only 23 years, and you were a pain when we moved in and you told me we couldn't park in the parking place in case you might get visitors, and I've never seen any yet'! The other day we got a stairlift fitted and he was questioning the engineer about what he was doing?, the engineer said 'sorry mate, it's private, I'm sure if they want you to know they'll tell you'!🫢 He asked me if we had neighbourhood watch? I said 'yes, but I'm the only neighbour they watch'!🤭 Nine houses in our cul-de-sac, and you'd think he paid the rent on all of them!🤔

Edited by Mr Crabtree
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 5:45 PM, Macnamara said:

This is because when you drive the car you get to decide where the car goes but when a computer drives the car the people who control the computer get to decide where the car can go

Their aim is that you won't own cars. You will have to order a car and can only use one if your social credit score is high enough

The car will then arrive and you will ask it to take you to your desired destination. But perhaps you can't go to that beauty spot you have loved visiting so much because now that is within a 'rewilding zone' and only members of the world economic forum are allowed access to it

My memory is a bit hazy now, but was this foretold in Huxley's "Brave New World"? Or was it some other similar book that I read a while back?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Owl said:

My memory is a bit hazy now, but was this foretold in Huxley's "Brave New World"? Or was it some other similar book that I read a while back?

I don't remember driverless cars but he had the self landing rockets for tourism of the higher classes and tunnel tube trains for mass transport like neom and Musk's Boring company hyperloop.

On 8/3/2023 at 5:45 PM, Macnamara said:

It's here the Ford Maverick (??) I think that's its name is approved for driverless driving in UK now.

Driverless rideshare life as a service bs will be the norm. You will own nothing a be happy. And if you're not happy, you won't be a model citizen, and the facial recognition in the car will deny you a ride because of your poor social credit score.

Edited by EnigmaticWorld
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, EnigmaticWorld said:

Driverless rideshare life as a service bs will be the norm. You will own nothing a be happy. And if you're not happy, you won't be a model citizen, and the facial recognition in the car will deny you a ride because of your poor social credit score.

It's dreadful.I map it out for my loved ones and they can all see it now. 

• Like 2

Electric cars what a con, not withstanding the social control implications mentioned by @EnigmaticWorld and the environmental degradation and toxic pollution generated through the mining of lithium , the specifications for the cars themselves paint a rosie picture ,which is false.

Below is the battery ratings for a tesla

Battery

Nominal Capacity * 100.0 kWh
Battery Type Lithium-ion
Number of Cells 7920
Architecture 400 V
Useable Capacity* 95.0 kWh
Cathode Material NCA
Pack Configuration 110s72p

Effective range   575Km

On the face of it all is great

1 At the present time you can't recycle these batteries

2 If a fire starts you cannot put them out

3 As soon as you charge them the batteries start to degrade meaning their charge capacity diminishes and therefore effective range

4 If you fast charge they deteriorate even quicker and start to swell due to a build up of gas, maybe this is effectively vented with cars

5 To get the maximum life from your expensive batteries they should not be charged to more than 80% capacity or discharged to less than 20% capacity

As you can see everything degrades the effective mileage range  and the more you use it the less it gets.

6 use the radio ,a few more Km gone turn on the heater or aircon quite a few more Km knocked off the range have more than one person or weight in the boot, every incline you drive up, well you get the idea

7 Now for the practicality, if it takes at least 4 hours to fast charge (bugger your batteries quicker) you will have lines of cars in the hot sun waiting just to get to a charging station and while you wait you can't have the aircon on through fear of completely discharging your batteries( which by the way can bugger them without effective minimum discharge voltage protection) and having to push the car to the charging station when your turn eventually comes around

Don't get me wrong I can see a place for these in the cities but not much else

Edited by peter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 7:32 PM, Mr Crabtree said:

Sort of true in our case, my wife has a motability car through her pips payments as she is fully disabled and I'm her named driver. A nosey neighbour said 'It's alright for you, you're lapping it up, a free car just because you're lucky enough to have a disabled wife, you've landed on your feet ain't yer'? Well she pays £60.00 a week out of her disability allowance, and that covers, tax, insurance, tyres, services and parts replacement, full breakdown and recovery, or a replacement car and any MOT due! I put the juice in and take her wherever! We've just got our new car, an MG HS, and because we looked after the old one, we had a lump sum paid into my wife's account, we're using that for a few days away in Norwich in September as my wife has now been diagnosed with more heart problems and she could do with a little break!

We will never own the car, but neither will we have any major bills if it goes wrong, so, own nothing, and be happy is totally true in this case! I know this car isn't ours to use  through the goodness of the governments heart, it's a business, plain and simple, but we do take advantage of that deal, and sixty quid a week wouldn't go far if we relied on taxis and public transport!

Oh it's that "motability cars are FREE" bollocks isn't it, that Littlejohn was fond of pushing in his hateful little agenda a few yrs back. Yeah, just roll up at the dealership, and get a top range BMW for NOTHING!

Idiot.

They take a massive chunk of the person's benefits, you're right. I was amazed when I found out just how much. It must end up "costing" more than the retail value of the car, but they replace it every 3 years or so, or they used to. So endless FREE top-range cars. What a bloody cushy life for the disabled eh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Bombadil said:

Nicely said mate. Although I expect she only stays with him for the laughs...or is it the good looks? Or both?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

Nicely said mate. Although I expect she only stays with him for the laughs...or is it the good looks? Or both?

I was an ugly child, me mam had to tie a pork chop around my neck just to get the dog to play with me! I said to someone quite recently 'you know what? I'm sure I'm getting better looking as I get older'! His reply? 'Well you must have been plug ugly when you were a nipper mate'!🥴 As or my wife, at first she stayed with me because of the kids, she wouldn't take them, and I wasn't going to be saddled with them! She once told her friend that making love to me was like a wild ride on a roller coaster! Her friend said 'was it wild and exciting then'? Her reply took the smile right off my face 'No, I meant it was over in two minutes and it made me feel sick for quite a while afterwards'!🥴

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Al Jazeera 

People and Power 

How a battle over mineral resources in Argentina could determine the fight against global warming 

The local community who say they haven't been consulted. They are concerned over precious water supllies, and salt. 

" They say to us if you want to protect your environment why don't you care about global warming but in the meanwhile they're talking away our rights "

" During the pandemic when protests were forbidden an underground pipe was built. For the activists it poses a threat to the river and a wildlife. "

" We're hoping that the multi naionals will, realise the damage that is done by mining lithium. " 

" Economic estimates for Argentina are exaggerated "

" For example we have a hospital that will open in two months 

" In two or three months we will have full employment "

" People who have lived here for thousands of years will have to become climate migrants "

" Mining could cause the loss of some of the world's special places " 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read from the BBC:

Chinese electric cars will reduce UK emissions but what about rivals here?

The UK is facing a dilemma: should it fight the rising imports of Chinese electric cars with big new tariffs, in the same way the EU has threatened to do this week? Or should it allow them to continue? Keeping open to the imports in would make it easier for the UK to hit its goal of no new petrol and diesel cars by 2030, and it would make electric cars cheaper. But the UK car industry could be damaged.

The key telling point is kept right until the end:

The strategic question is how China cleaned up with two decades of long-term planning on electric cars and their batteries, on a clear and predictable consequence of a net zero agenda pushed by the G7 western nations.

While Faisal Islam doesn't answer this question, we all know here that everything that is happening is planned years in advance, and that China is just as on board with "the agenda" as the western nations are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2023 at 10:21 AM, Grumpy Owl said:

While Faisal Islam doesn't answer this question, we all know here that everything that is happening is planned years in advance, and that China is just as on board with "the agenda" as the western nations are.

Reminds me of how 'they' used to 'say' the USA was not on board, and then suddenly it was in the news that Biden was pushing for the climate and net zero, and so on. This is a 'clip' from April ...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/04/20/fact-sheet-president-biden-to-catalyze-global-climate-action-through-the-major-economies-forum-on-energy-and-climate/

" Today, President Biden will convene leaders of the Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate (MEF) for the fourth time since taking office to galvanize efforts needed to tackle the climate crisis and keep a 1.5°C limit on warming within reach.

At today’s meeting, the President will highlight new steps the United States is taking to meet its ambitious 1.5°C-aligned goal of reducing emissions 50-52 percent in 2030.  The President will also announce significant new steps the United States is taking to support developing countries in taking stronger climate action – including providing $1 billion to the Green Climate Fund and requesting $500 million for the Amazon Fund and related activities – and invite other countries to join the United States and others in fully leveraging the multilateral development banks to better address global challenges, like climate change."

On 9/16/2023 at 10:21 AM, Grumpy Owl said:

And this from July 2022

" ICYMI: President Biden Pushes Forward on Tackling Climate Crisis Despite Supreme Court’s Attempt to Take Country Backwards "

Edited by Observations