All electric cars by 2030?

GregC

• 1 month later...

OMG we're all going to die! 😝

Britain's e-bus ticking timebomb: How nearly TWO THOUSAND electric buses worth £800m face urgent recall over fears they could see burst into flames

Safety watchdogs have ordered the recall of almost 2,000 electric buses over fears they can catch fire if left unattended. 

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency has warned operators who use the Alexander Dennis Enviro200 and Enviro400 single and double decker buses of the critical safety issue. 

The buses are currently operational across the UK, with more than 600 in London and a further 100 in Manchester. 

All of the affected vehicles were manufactured between May 3, 2019 and February 6, 2024. They all contain batteries supplied by Chinese firm BYD.  

from: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13141825/Britains-e-bus-ticking-timebomb-nearly-TWO-THOUSAND-electric-buses-worth-800m-face-urgent-recall-fears-burst-flames.html

Oh dear, the Daily Mail are at it again, with a fearmongering headline that really exaggerates the situation.

I'm not sure why they even dropped in the mention of 'Chinese batteries' into the opening lines of this article.

If you can bear to work your way through the article, you get the following explanation from Alexander Dennis (the bus manufacturer, not a person!)

A spokesperson for Alexander Dennis told MailOnline: 'Following an incident earlier this year, Alexander Dennis, BYD and other relevant parties have identified that there is a potential issue relating to the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system supplied by Hispacold for some BYD–Alexander Dennis electric buses.

'The investigation is still ongoing and the root cause has not yet been identified. As the safety of our customers’ team members, bus drivers and passengers is of the utmost importance to us, a safety bulletin has been issued to all affected operators with temporary precautionary measures to ensure the highest levels of safety are met.

'Further updates will be provided to operators on conclusion of the investigation by Alexander Dennis, BYD and impacted suppliers, in consultation with the DVSA, when we expect to provide a permanent fix to resolve the issue.

'As far as is currently known, the issue does not directly affect core driveline components such as electric motors or traction batteries. Neither is there currently any suggestion that the issue is linked to other bus fires that recently received media attention as these involved different vehicle types and technologies.'

Key words here are 'potential, and 'could'.

Despite a 'recall' notice being issued, the vehicles themselves are not being taken off the road.

I have been told by a colleague of mine who has contacts within the bus industry, that as long as the HVAC system is fully turned off when the bus goes out of service, then there is no risk to passengers.

To be fair, this is apparently off the back of ONE electric bus fire, that happened in Putney, London last year.

Edited by Grumpy Owl

On 3/3/2024 at 8:04 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

OMG we're all going to die! 😝

Britain's e-bus ticking timebomb: How nearly TWO THOUSAND electric buses worth £800m face urgent recall over fears they could see burst into flames

from: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13141825/Britains-e-bus-ticking-timebomb-nearly-TWO-THOUSAND-electric-buses-worth-800m-face-urgent-recall-fears-burst-flames.html

Oh dear, the Daily Mail are at it again, with a fearmongering headline that really exaggerates the situation.

I'm not sure why they even dropped in the mention of 'Chinese batteries' into the opening lines of this article.

If you can bear to work your way through the article, you get the following explanation from Alexander Dennis (the bus manufacturer, not a person!)

Key words here are 'potential, and 'could'.

Despite a 'recall' notice being issued, the vehicles themselves are not being taken off the road.

I have been told by a colleague of mine who has contacts within the bus industry, that as long as the HVAC system is fully turned off when the bus goes out of service, then there is no risk to passengers.

To be fair, this is apparently off the back of ONE electric bus fire, that happened in Putney, London last year.

It has since been pointed out to me that the DM did over-exaggerate the seriousness of this, as apparently the recall only applies to 105 vehicles that have this potential issue, not 'nearly two thousand'.

At a time when there has been lots of focus on electric bus fires, around 105 Alexander Dennis Enviro200 and Enviro400 buses have been affected by a recall concerning low-voltage systems which form part of the heating and air-conditioning system. The recall notice issued by the DVSA states that ‘the low voltage harness connector of the control module may experience fatigue if subjected to excessive mating cycles leading to a localised thermal incident.’ However, the manufacturer stressed that no link had been found between the recent fires in London, and that the main high-voltage traction systems were not affected.

from: https://cbwmagazine.com/hvac-fault-leads-to-recall-for-byd-adl-enviros/

I've also been told that the Daily Mail have now craftily edited their article to quote this figure, buried towards the end, though they retain the 'click-bait' headline.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...