Sound engineering with Spideysensei

spideysensei

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Well this is really it for this tune. Last year i had a strong urge to write some kind of resistance song/music but i've also spent the past 6 months learning how to mix and master to an ok level, though still have much to learn. The deleted iterations above were previous versions of this one below.

It's called Reset the Agenda, featuring the voice of Yuri Bezmenov.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 11:57 AM, spideysensei said:

Hi mods, could i make this thread a personal blog of sorts, and change the title? I want a more general music production/sound engineering thread that people could come in and discuss, critique mixes and so on.

Sure mate. Do you want to change the title at all, or any other modifications?

• Anti Facts Sir changed the title to Sound engineering with Spideysensei

If you guys only knew the amount of cleanup i had to do on those samples. It was taken from presumably the only source, the only one i can find at least. It's horrible old audio with weird pops and other noises in between phrases. So there's a fuck ton of automated EQs at very precise places that you'd never notice. The key is to make sure it's all gain staged, and that involves again a fuck ton of automation, but the pay off is compression consistency further down the mix, and that gels everything together. It's not perfect, but i've learnt a lot trying.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, spideysensei said:

If you guys only knew the amount of cleanup i had to do on those samples. It was taken from presumably the only source, the only one i can find at least. It's horrible old audio with weird pops and other noises in between phrases. So there's a fuck ton of automated EQs at very precise places that you'd never notice. The key is to make sure it's all gain staged, and that involves again a fuck ton of automation, but the pay off is compression consistency further down the mix, and that gels everything together. It's not perfect, but i've learnt a lot trying.

It sounds like you've added some echo or delay to the vocal, would I be correct? I like the tune mate, very chilled. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Anti Facts Sir said:

I mess about with audio sometimes, cleaning up old vinyl transfers, and it is one heck of a job. In fact, it's why I hardly do it anymore!

There's something oddly satisfying about it at the same time for me. Like all my hobbies, snooker, crypto or whatever, they're a pain in the arse, but rewarding when you get somewhere.

46 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

It sounds like you've added some echo or delay to the vocal, would I be correct? I like the tune mate, very chilled. 

Awesome, thanks for listening. Yes two delays and at least one reverb, probably two in places. Maybe overdone here and there but whatever, done with this project. A handy tip for bringing width to a sound like a vocal is to use delay over reverb, as the latter pushes it back in the mix. For vocals you want to use reverb sparingly unless it's a desired effect.

• Like 2