Jump to content

Should I buy a plug-in hybrid car?


Golden Retriever
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am thinking of replacing my 18 year old car with a newer one, maybe a model from 2019

 

I believe from 2030 in the EU and UK, no more new petrol cars will be produced.

 

I reckon with all this climate change bollocks, people owning petrol or diesel cars in the

not too distant future will be hammered with "green taxes", so I am considering a plug-in hybrid.

 

What do members think?

Edited by Golden Retriever
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Golden Retriever changed the title to Should I buy a plug-in hybrid car?

No I wouldn't, but I don't like modern hybrids. Basically you take a simple electric car and a complicated combustion engine and you marry the two together to produce an overly complicated car that generally doesn't work very well in either mode. 

 

Having said that it depends on your usage and hybrid in question.

 

The Mitsubishi PHEV hybrid has good electric speed and range so you can mostly do journeys on electric and only use combustion engine for long drives or motorway. I would personally consider buying one of those.

 

There was a Fisker Karma hybrid which used a petrol V8 to directly power a generator which powered the motor - simple and effective, I would personally consider one of those also.

 

To sum up, if you want hybrid you want one with a powerful enough motor to ba able to drive at any speed electrically and enough batteries to cope with your daily driving so you can mostly drive electric.

 

So if you buy, 2 questions to the salesman - How fast does it go on electric only and how much range do batteries give.

 

If the answer to those questions means you can use the car in electric mode daily and recharge overnight on green energy then yes I would consider it.

 

Toyota Prius for instance has max electric speed of 15-20 mph and a battery range of 20 miles, mated together in a complicated gearbox - so its pretty useless and overly complicated unless you do less than 10 miles each way at 15mph on a daily basis.

 

Hope that helps.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Golden Retriever said:

I believe from 2030 in the EU and UK, no more new petrol cars will be produced.

 

I reckon with all this climate change bollocks, people owning petrol or diesel cars in the

not too distant future will be hammered with "green taxes", so I am considering a plug-in hybrid.

 

I thought it was 2040, when there would be no more petrol/diesel vehicles being produced, but it wouldn't surprise me if this had been brought forward.

 

Of course, by 2030, with the ever rising cost of fuel, most people probably won't be able to afford to run a car by then.

 

But that's the aim I believe, I noted during the recent UK 'fuel crisis' there was a lot of pushing of electric vehicles.

 

(And now we're back to 'driver shortages' in the news, I notice a propaganda push towards autonomous self-driving vehicles)

 

I've never owned a car, so am not in any real position to advise on this. Whichever way you go - electric or hybrid - the price of petrol/diesel and electricity is just going to keep rising, making car ownership unaffordable for many people.

 

Living in sunny Spain 😎 I don't know what kind of budget you have, but you may want to look at getting some solar panels and one of those home battery systems, like I saw in a recent RichPlanet video. At least then you could get a fully electric car and charge it with 'free energy' 😉

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Living in sunny Spain 😎 I don't know what kind of budget you have, but you may want to look at getting some solar panels and one of those home battery systems, like I saw in a recent RichPlanet video. At least then you could get a fully electric car and charge it with 'free energy' 😉

 

Absolutely, solar panels a home battery system like Tesla Wall and let the Sun charge your battery and your battery charges the car - driving on Sunlight or as you say Free Energy!

 

Electric motor, simple, practically maintenance free, 100% torque at zero rpm only 1 moving part. For some people, like you in Spain, absolutely electric car and solar panels is the way to go. For those living in colder climes a Diesel is probably still best, run it on veggie oil and if possible (which it is) mix with LPG for a complete and clean burn with minimal emissions.

 

Horses for courses.

 

I'm typing on my phone otherwise my replies would be more detailed.

Edited by pi3141
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, pi3141 said:

 

Absolutely, solar panels a home battery system like Tesla Wall and let the Sun charge your battery and your battery charges the car - driving on Sunlight or as you say Free Energy!

 

 

I think it would probably take a couple of weeks to charge an electric car with solar power.

 

I would advice against putting any stock in solar power unless you live in Spain or North Africa. 

 

There simply isn't the level of energy available in Northern Europe to make it effective.


Also 'green energy' is just a cover to break down the energy infrastructure of society and return us to the stone age.

 

But hey, at least the stone age was carbon neutral.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Truthspoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Truthspoon said:

 

I think it would probably take a couple of weeks to charge an electric car with solar power.

 

I would advice against putting any stock in solar power unless you live in Spain or North Africa. 

 

There simply isn't the level of energy available in Northern Europe to make it effective.


Also 'green energy' is just a cover to break down the energy infrastructure of society and return us to the stone age.

 

But hey, at least the stone age was carbon neutral.

 

It depends on the size of the array but I take your point, electric cars in the UK are good summer cars but you really want a diesel in our coldest winters. Almost guaranteed to start and has more torque at lower rpm so better on ice and snow than petrol.

 

If a 325 mile range electric car will be sufficient range for a couple weeks then its ok. But again, here in UK, come winter and you won't be able to charge as often and your electric car range goes down cos you got heater and lights on, so definitely not the best solution.

 

Yeah the green agenda has been hijacked like all the other movements and our government listen to big business more than environmental groups and the universities just toe the line.

 

Here we are again with fuel shortage like we were back in the 70's only now we all know Diesel engines can run on veggie oil so why didn't the advidors back in the 70's advise the government to buy Olive oil, Peanut oil or any other veggie derived oil to run the trains and buses on an keep infrastructure moving? But they didn't and I wonder how much surplus or not to standard Olive oil was poured away in those years.

 

Here we are again, fuel shortage - really? To my knowledge you can run petrol cars on Parrafin, Hydrogen or distilled alcohol and diesel cars on Hemp oil, Olive oil, Peanut oil, Palm oil, Rapeseed oil, Coal dust, Sawdust, Custard powder and fuck knows what else so how is there a fuel shortage?

 

There's not its just an inability to go to new systems. They just want to keep the rich, rich and the poor, poor. Its their natural order of things. Anything else is labelled communism and thats bad. They'll save the planet, once they figure out how to charge us for it.

 

We're lucky we got the choice of electric cars now, the motor industry has been surpressing them for decades.

Edited by pi3141
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Truthspoon said:

I think it would probably take a couple of weeks to charge an electric car with solar power.

 

My local bus garage has a number of electric buses, they have electric charging points that utilise a storage battery connected to solar panels on the roof of the depot. Granted, there is also mains electric connected as backup for when its cloudy, but one of these buses can be fully charged in around 4 hours, and their batteries are much bigger than those in a typical electric car.

 

40 minutes ago, Truthspoon said:

I would advice against putting any stock in solar power unless you live in Spain or North Africa. 

 

You don't necessarily have to live in a 'hot climate', but you obviously get the most benefit from solar power when it is less cloudy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, pi3141 said:

We're lucky we got the choice of electric cars now, the motor industry has been surpressing them for decades.

 

There was far more choice of electric cars and trucks back at the start of the 20th century, have a look at this thread from the Stolen History forum:

https://stolenhistory.net/threads/ditch-tesla-buy-babcock-runabout-1-244-miles-on-one-battery-in-1909.21/

 

Then for some reason, electric vehicles all but disappeared... 🤔

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

 

There was far more choice of electric cars and trucks back at the start of the 20th century, have a look at this thread from the Stolen History forum:

https://stolenhistory.net/threads/ditch-tesla-buy-babcock-runabout-1-244-miles-on-one-battery-in-1909.21/

 

Then for some reason, electric vehicles all but disappeared... 🤔

 

 

 

According to this website it would take two weeks to charge a car with a 1kw solar panel system.

 

https://www.drivingelectric.com/your-questions-answered/132/can-solar-panels-charge-electric-car

 

Quote

A 1kW system is estimated to generate 850kWh of energy output a year: that could fully charge the new Honda e 24 times over, which translates into some 3,250 miles of driving range. If your annual mileage is relatively low, solar panels could be a great long-term solution. It's worth noting, however, that the average domestic solar-panel installation doesn't produce enough electricity in a day to fully charge an electric car.

 

Trams and such as were used in the old days used to be electric.... but were fed by great pylons with a cable suspended above the street.

 

But electric cars lacked the infrastructure to charge them. I believe some of the electric car companies offered to replace flat batteries with fresh batteries...

 

But it is clear that with the discovery of oil reserves throughout the world this simply became a more practical easier solution.

 

It probably is even now.... I do not see the new era of electric cars being a success.

 

I'm still waiting for my hydrogen car.....that's the biggest suppressed tech right there.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Truthspoon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

 

There was far more choice of electric cars and trucks back at the start of the 20th century, have a look at this thread from the Stolen History forum:

https://stolenhistory.net/threads/ditch-tesla-buy-babcock-runabout-1-244-miles-on-one-battery-in-1909.21/

 

Then for some reason, electric vehicles all but disappeared... 🤔

 

Oh yes there were loads of electric cars, ICE cars couldn't go very far before over heating until they invented the radiator.

 

They had Steam cars back then too - Stanley Steamer.

 

Don't forget during the war the Germans had Wood burning cars - VW Beetles with chimmneys at the back.

 

I wrote myself a list of all the fuels cars can use, its on my dead PC at the moment but I think I listed about 20 fuels that cars can use from LPG, Natural gas to wood burners and all the different oils diesels can burn as well as alcohol petrol can burn.

 

The Chrysler Turbine could run Tequila, Vodka or Perfume as well as petrol, kerosene etc. As far as alternative fuels go, its a long list but we don't employ them because of the dominance and influence of the Oil industry and the compliance of government and its advisors and our educational institutions who mostly keep quiet. Their a disgrace.

 

Have you seen Fords Hemp car? During the depression Ford envisioned building a car out of Hemp, think fibreglass but with Hemp instead, also from the Hemp he would distill alcohol that would fuel the car. Hence the farmers would have a new crop to grow, Ford would build cars that were stronger and lighter than steel that wouldn't rust and the alcohol would power them - no more reliance on foreign oil. He built the prototype but could not get it to market because, he said, there were forces in the government and his own company workibg against him to stop him. So he resigned from his own company and retired.

 

We could have so much better if big business and government had'nt worked hand in hand to stop it. And the universities and colleges remain silent.

Edited by pi3141
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many thanks to @Truthspoon@Grumpy Owl@pi3141 for your replies.

 

I should have installed solar panels in Spain years ago, but because of limited funds at the time I didn't.

Because of an unexpected inheritance from a very dear friend of mine who died of cancer, I will be in a position

to do this soon.

 

I usually don't go very long distances, but should I go for fully electric? ... I really don't want to do this because it

plays in the hands of "Climate change" Agenda 2030 crowd or should I hedge my bets with a Hybrid?

Edited by Golden Retriever
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Golden Retriever said:

Many thanks to @Truthspoon@Grumpy Owl@pi3141  usually don't go very long distances, but should I go for fully electric ... I really don't want to do this because it

plays in the hands of "Climate change" Agenda 2030 crowd or should I hedge my bets with a Hybrid?

 

As an engineer I love electric cars - zero maintenance motor, highly efficient, simple so nothing to go wrong, high performance. Aa cars they are dream machines, but batteries don't suit colder climates, it kills them.

 

If I lived in a warm climate the electric car and solar panels is living the dream. High efficency and performance, low maintenance, essentially free running costs and no pollution. What could be better?

 

I live in UK if I had an EV I would probably want a winter hack to use in the worst weather and keep my EV warm and dry in a garage to prolong battery life during winter. The sun we get outside of summer is not great so charging on a typical roif size EV array may or may not be sufficient to maintain daily driving.

 

Forget about the Agenda, electric cars are the best if you live in the right climate and can deal with the time it takes to recharge.

 

Thats just my personal opinion, I love electric cars, I bought an old classic to convert 10 years ago but now you can buy properly built EV's so better doing that now than converting. My cars stored away still original, it was just to expensive to 'go it alone' and convert the car and the batteries were ridiculously expensive so I never did it. But I want a Tesla now, when I can afford it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, pi3141 said:

 

As an engineer I love electric cars - zero maintenance motor, highly efficient, simple so nothing to go wrong, high performance. Aa cars they are dream machines, but batteries don't suit colder climates, it kills them.

 

If I lived in a warm climate the electric car and solar panels is living the dream. High efficency and performance, low maintenance, essentially free running costs and no pollution. What could be better?

 

I live in UK if I had an EV I would probably want a winter hack to use in the worst weather and keep my EV warm and dry in a garage to prolong battery life during winter. The sun we get outside of summer is not great so charging on a typical roif size EV array may or may not be sufficient to maintain daily driving.

 

Forget about the Agenda, electric cars are the best if you live in the right climate and can deal with the time it takes to recharge.

 

Thats just my personal opinion, I love electric cars, I bought an old classic to convert 10 years ago but now you can buy properly built EV's so better doing that now than converting. My cars stored away still original, it was just to expensive to 'go it alone' and convert the car and the batteries were ridiculously expensive so I never did it. But I want a Tesla now, when I can afford it.

 

Thanks for this.

 

I'm a novice about cars!

 

I like two cars atm because of my needs and my personal taste in "the look"

 

A Renault Captur SUV which I think is only available in a hybrid rather than the full electric or a Fiat 500X either cross or urban, but what is the difference

between cross and urban?  But Fiat don't have a hybrid of these models, let alone fully electric?

 

Many thanks for your advice

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, pi3141 said:

As an engineer I love electric cars - zero maintenance motor, highly efficient, simple so nothing to go wrong, high performance. Aa cars they are dream machines, but batteries don't suit colder climates, it kills them.

 

Considering the fact that I can't drive and have never owned a car of my own, I've worked in the automotive aftermarket trade for over 20 years now. 😄

 

As well as the obvious fuel cost savings, there are other cost savings to be made for owners of electric vehicles, most notably in that in the absence of a 'traditional engine', there is no regular servicing involved (ie changing of engine oil, filters, spark plugs, clutch components etc). Granted there are still some mechanical components that will need checking and replacing, such as braking or steering components.

 

But we can also see that over time, the role of the 'mechanical engineer' is going to be vastly diminished, and the 'art' of overhauling and rebuilding complete engine assemblies is going to be lost. The days of 'home DIY motoring enthusiasts' servicing, tweaking and repairing their own vehicles started to come to an end some time ago, once most modern car engines became mostly computer controlled, and most mechanical diagnosis is now done with electronic tools plugged into the ECU to read 'fault codes'. (And then replace various components until the fault code 'goes away')

 

Give it another ten years or so, the more people that switch to electric cars, the quicker the end will come to the 'back street garages', and after enough time, there won't be anyone left who can service and repair any petrol or diesel engined vehicle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

 

Considering the fact that I can't drive and have never owned a car of my own, I've worked in the automotive aftermarket trade for over 20 years now. 😄

 

As well as the obvious fuel cost savings, there are other cost savings to be made for owners of electric vehicles, most notably in that in the absence of a 'traditional engine', there is no regular servicing involved (ie changing of engine oil, filters, spark plugs, clutch components etc). Granted there are still some mechanical components that will need checking and replacing, such as braking or steering components.

 

But we can also see that over time, the role of the 'mechanical engineer' is going to be vastly diminished, and the 'art' of overhauling and rebuilding complete engine assemblies is going to be lost. The days of 'home DIY motoring enthusiasts' servicing, tweaking and repairing their own vehicles started to come to an end some time ago, once most modern car engines became mostly computer controlled, and most mechanical diagnosis is now done with electronic tools plugged into the ECU to read 'fault codes'. (And then replace various components until the fault code 'goes away')

 

Give it another ten years or so, the more people that switch to electric cars, the quicker the end will come to the 'back street garages', and after enough time, there won't be anyone left who can service and repair any petrol or diesel engined vehicle.

 

Out of likes, but I agree.  Many car mechanics will be unemployed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i would prefer a ,HICEV, hydrogen powered vehicle. I like the internal combustion energy type.

 

However for the electric vehicles unless they are building 3 new nuclear reactors i cant see how the current volume of vehicles will be supplied with electrical fuel.

 

Also the Chancellor will need to grab back the loss of petrol/diesel fuel tax revenue so they will enact a pay-per-mile scheme ontop of the electric charge, of course using GPS or low energy BT to receiver points on road.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, zArk said:

i would prefer a ,HICEV, hydrogen powered vehicle. I like the internal combustion energy type.

 

However for the electric vehicles unless they are building 3 new nuclear reactors i cant see how the current volume of vehicles will be supplied with electrical fuel.

 

Also the Chancellor will need to grab back the loss of petrol/diesel fuel tax revenue so they will enact a pay-per-mile scheme ontop of the electric charge, of course using GPS or low energy BT to receiver points on road.

 

Yes a wankel Rotary engine fuelled with Hydrogen is a great alternative as is Fuel Cell powered Electric Vehicle.

 

We have all the solutions to solve our problems and we don't all have to go EV. Veggie oil powered Diesel with a complimentary LPG or Hydrogen system to combine the gas with the veggie oil boosts power, mpg and is much cleaner, less oil changes and lower emissions, that would suit people in very cold climates. The Petrol/Diesel technology is not finished yet. 

 

Battery EV's work great in warmer climes and Fuel Cells can do ok in varied climates and Hydrogen ICE engines are a good all rounder, Rotary works particularly well.

 

For petrol heads go LPG or Natural gas or Hydrogen.

 

We don't just need 'one' solution we need a variety of alternatives and allow people to choose. But of course Big Oil and Government don't want that, they want the usual Centralization and Control of the industry and the revenues.

 

I wish we had a Free Energy / Alternative energy subforum where we could discuss these things like the old forum. I've asked for it before in suggestions, Surpressed and Alternative energy is a huge part of the Conspiracy field.

 

And I wish I could get all my old posts back from that forum, stuff I didn't keep a record of.

Edited by pi3141
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pi3141 said:

I wish we had a Free Energy / Alternative energy subforum where we could discuss these things like the old forum. I've asked for it before in suggestions, Surpressed and Alternative energy is a huge part of the Conspiracy field.

 

@Grumpy Owl

 

Can you make a subforum about free energy/alternative energy please.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Golden Retriever said:

 

@Grumpy Owl

 

Can you make a subforum about free energy/alternative energy please.

 

I can't do anything like that, I'm not an admin.

 

Topics about such subject could go in the following area:

https://forum.davidicke.com/index.php?/forum/59-ancient-and-forbidden-knowledge-false-history/

 

There is already a topic there on Free Energy, which people are able to add to:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Owl said:

 

I can't do anything like that, I'm not an admin.

 

Topics about such subject could go in the following area:

https://forum.davidicke.com/index.php?/forum/59-ancient-and-forbidden-knowledge-false-history/

 

There is already a topic there on Free Energy, which people are able to add to:

 

 

Thanks for the feedback, so over to @GarethIcke

Edited by Golden Retriever
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Topics about such subject could go in the following area:

https://forum.davidicke.com/index.php?/forum/59-ancient-and-forbidden-knowledge-false-history/

 

There is already a topic there on Free Energy, which people are able to add to:

 

 

Well there was topics on 100 year old lightbulbs, Rodins thread on Dimensions, threads on HHO conversions, alternative energy, I don't think those topics belong in 'Ancient and Forbidden' I mean Forbidden yes I get it but Free Energy, Alternative Energy, Surpressed Technology doesn't belong very much in Ancient Knowledge.

 

Just my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a quick look at Fiat Hybrid system, they're calling it a 'Mild' system.

 

It appears to have a small motor and battery that aids acceleration and Stop/Start technology. It doesn't seem like you can use the car in EV mode, its just the electric motor adds a bit of clean power when you accelerate and so reduces emissions. Fiat claim it reduces by 20% thats probably an 'Ideal' figure and real world figure might be less.

 

If the 500X has the same mild hybrid system as the Panda then it looks to me to be a gimmick really and not particulary green.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...