What are the ways the BBC can prove you watch live tv?

CLC

Let’s say I’ve cancelled my tv licence. But silly me forgets to cancel my virgin tv subscription!

If I continue to watch ‘live broadcast’ tv, can the BBC find out?

What are the other ways they can catch you out? I know tv detector vans are a load of nonsense. 

If you are just receiving through an arial or dish and its not connected to the phone line they cant. they just have a database of all properties that don't have one. if they turn up at the door just tell them to fuck off and slam the door in there face (hopefully braking there nose in the process)

the old Tv detector vans would not work on modern tv sets anyway they worked by detecting the high frequency generated by the tv's line output transformer which modern flat panel tv sets dont use. in fact even back then most tv detector vans where just a van with some arials on the top and nothing inside. they would just drive it round the local counsel estate every couple of months and wach the licenses flood in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It was all smoke and mirrors and propaganda, do you remember those old ominous TV license ads?

'We are watching'

'We know' 

'we have speshul techmologies which can tell if you're watching the BBC live'

The Truth is, they haven't got a fuckin' clue, the only way they can find out is if you let them in and they take photographic evidence that the TV is receiving a live signal. 

Even then you could argue that you just use it to watch movies on etc.

The old detector vans were just empty vans that were used to intimidate the fearful into paying. 

My advice has always been never communicate with them, they have never known me by name as I have never paid for the scummy license, they just send circular threat letters addressed to the occupier and  they don't visit much. 

If they catch you off guard on the doorstep tell them to piss off as soon as they say TV licensing and close the door.

Or maybe just turn around and fart in their direction and close the door so they can feel the disgust you feel towards them. 

17 hours ago, CLC said:

Let’s say I’ve cancelled my tv licence. But silly me forgets to cancel my virgin tv subscription!

If I continue to watch ‘live broadcast’ tv, can the BBC find out?

What are the other ways they can catch you out? I know tv detector vans are a load of nonsense. 

One other crafty thing the BBC did was to change their iPlayer on-demand service so you needed a 'BBC account' to view anything.

As part of the registration process, you're not required to provide your full address, but you are asked to provide your postcode.

This helps us give you relevant local information across the BBC. It also helps us see how people across the UK are using the BBC and check we’re making something for everyone.

I wouldn't put it past the BBC to be checking IP addresses with your ISP in order to confirm your home address. That's just a theory.

I cancelled my TV licence last March and haven't watched broadcast TV since, nor have I had any interest in using iPlayer or other streaming services. I've never had anyone from TV Licencing knock at my door either.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Piccolo pete said:

There was a freedom of information request asking the bbc how many prosecutions there were due to tv detector vans. The answer: 0

Love it