strange anomaly in the sky this morning

theanonymousbear

Early this morning, sometime before 7am, my gf and I were driving east (90°) on Interstate 20, around mile marker 135 when we saw this bizarre anomaly (for lack of a better word) in the clouds along the horizon, approximately ENE of where we were. There was a section of the horizon that looked at first as if it was a shadow of something in the way of the early morning rising sun and had I not known anything of the topography of where I was, I could have easily ruled it off as a mountain or something way in the distance. The thing of it is, is that there are no mountains here. As the sun rose, it quickly seemed like something very large appeared had moved through the clouds sometime in the early morning hours.

The attached pictures really speak a thousand words here. As you look at them, pay attention to the right side of the "opening" through the clouds. It looks as if the clouds--particularly on the right side--were "dragged" by whatever caused the phenomenon.

I've lived in this part of the world all my life. I've never seen anything like this. Has anyone else and does anyone have an idea what would cause what is seen in the picture? Thanks in advance!

Bear

PS: I know it looks like a shadow of a mountain peak or large hill at first glance but I can 100% guarantee it isn't. There are no large hills or mountains in NE LA.

(Note: To me, the anomaly I'm referring to is very apparent in the images but if anyone can't see what I'm talking about, don't hesitate to let me know. I can edit the picture and outline the shape.)

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

• 1 month later...