Manufactured Energy Crisis About To Hit The UK?

HAARPING_On

Interesting developments in the energy markets over the last month culminating in a number of small firms going to the wall and Bulb announcing today they need a "government bailout".... the timing of this is very convenient with the COP26 talks imminent... are we heading for power cuts in the UK this winter?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58620167

Edited by HAARPING_On
spelling

bulb is 6th largest in the uk.

looks like they only want the big 4 to survive

my small energy company went bust this week. dumb really seeing as only last week they started to offer the warm home discount for the first time.

why bother if you know you are going bust. or did they not know. or something else happened.

i just checked uswitch and i'm looking at a £400 a year rise.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Did a few google searches and all of the big 6 energy companies in the UK have vanguard as a their major institutional investor

Might as well say Rothschild inc or the east india trading company lmao, stopthecrime.net has done a lot of work on the wildfires in california and the energy companies' connections to Rothschild over there. 

Of course there are other players too but vanguard owns the biggest share of all the biggest energy companies so if they are the only companies left standing then that's proof of a manufactured crisis. 

Edited by FVCK BILLY G4TES
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, eddy64 said:

been to two diy shops for some postcrete to repair my fence neither had any or any concrete.  i wonder if all high energy manufacture is shutting down? if so it doesn't bode well long term.

Different building materials have been in short supply at different stages of this whole situation, plaster was unobtainable for a short time last year, timber has skyrocketed in price and yes, concrete and concrete or cement derived products have also been affected, roof tiles for instance.

7 hours ago, bamboozooka said:

my small energy company went bust this week. dumb really seeing as only last week they started to offer the warm home discount for the first time.

why bother if you know you are going bust. or did they not know. or something else happened.

I switched from Npower to Green Network Energy last year, and they went into administration earlier this year.

My account with them was 'handed over' by Ofgem to EDF, who gave all GNE customers a tariff equal to what they were paying but only until October this year.

I had a few 'reminder' emails from EDF a couple of months ago, offering me some new fixed price tariff up until 2023, with the usual 'warning' of impeding energy price rises.

I don't trust any of these 'comparison websites', but I soon worked out that EDF's offer was the best one available, so I signed up.

So I'm all sorted, my energy bills will likely increase a bit, but my prices are at least now fixed for the next two years.

On reading about the government being asked to step in and loan money to energy companies this morning, it did make me wonder just how many other smaller suppliers are going to end up 'going under', with their accounts being passed to bigger providers.

It seems to me we are  on the slow slope back to a form of 'nationalisation' of energy supplies, but one which sees all smaller companies swallowed up by the 'big boys', with the 'big boys' swallowing each other up eventually.

The other thing that tweaks my interest is that presently the cost of gas is much cheaper than electricity. I do remember reading before how there was a 'plan' to phase out household gas supplies by 2040, and that no new homes would have gas boilers for central heating installed.

My previous flat I lived in had night-storage electric heaters (no gas supply) which took advantage of Economy7 electricity rates, so that 'off-peak' electricity was much cheaper. And I recall seeing somewhere how Electricity7 tariffs were going to be discontinued from around 2025.

Electric storage heaters are great in principle, don't get me wrong. But I do think that gas-fired central heating systems are more effective and (currently) better value for money.

I do wonder if the push to increase wholesale gas prices is some trick to force householders to consider 'investing' in replacing their gas boilers with these 'heat pumps' that are being heavily promoted and will be used in all new builds.

• Like 2

the uswitch quotes were £45/month more than i am paying

i thought i'd look at british gas tariffs this morning and they quoted me a rise of £25/month

so british gas was cheaper than all the uswitch results.

i worked out my boiler uses 15units of gas/hr = 45p/hr and heats the whole house

i have got a 500w oil radiator that costs 9p/hr to warm just around me which i use if i'm alone.

might look into a wood burner

6 minutes ago, bamboozooka said:

the uswitch quotes were £45/month more than i am paying

i thought i'd look at british gas tariffs this morning and they quoted me a rise of £25/month

so british gas was cheaper than all the uswitch results.

i worked out my boiler uses 15units of gas/hr = 45p/hr and heats the whole house

i have got a 500w oil radiator that costs 9p/hr to warm just around me which i use if i'm alone.

might look into a wood burner

My personal advice is to use such sites as 'uswitch' as a 'guide'. All these 'comparison' sites are compromised, and their 'results' can easily be influenced, depending on what their 'sponsors' want consumers to do. (Same goes for switching broadband or car insurance really)

Before using such sites, I would advise people to keep records of their gas and electricity usage by KwH, rather than 'cost', and use those figures when getting quotes, you would get a more accurate quote that way. You could of course be paying far more than you should at present, so any 'deal' that offers you a lower price will look to be 'good value for money'.

(But you could still end up paying more than you should, if you get where I'm coming from).

• Like 3

Avro Energy collapses along with Green Energy as more suppliers go bust

Two energy suppliers have collapsed today as wholesale gas prices continue to soar.

Green, which entered crisis talks earlier this week, has around 250,000 customers who will now be placed onto a new supplier by Ofgem.

Avro Energy, which has around half a million customers, will also hand off customers to Ofgem who will assign them a new supplier.

It comes just hours after the regulator warned multiple firms will fold in the coming weeks due to an 'unprecedented' surge in wholesale prices.

Neil Lawrence, director of Retail at Ofgem, said: "I want to reassure customers of Green Supplier Limited that they do not need to worry.

"Under our safety net we’ll make sure your energy supplies continue. If you have credit on your Avro Energy or Green Supplier Limited account this is protected and you will not lose the money that is owed to you."

A statement on the Avro website says: "Avro Energy is ceasing to trade. Ofgem, the energy regulator, is appointing a new supplier for its customers.

"Customers need not worry, their supplies are secure and domestic credit balances are protected."

Energy experts have called it a "double blow" for the industry. Justina Miltienyte, energy policy expert at Uswitch.com, said: “This is a double blow for the energy industry and will cause further worry for consumers.

“Avro and Green’s simultaneous exits from the market come after People’s Energy and Utility Point ceased trading last week. Nine energy suppliers have been forced out this year so far and it’s likely that more may follow.

“Soaring wholesale prices are making conditions difficult for all suppliers, but challenger brands in particular are struggling to make ends meet.

“Affected customers will be moved onto new suppliers appointed by Ofgem, but for now they should sit tight and wait until their account is transferred to the new provider before trying to switch.

“Customers can be reassured that their energy supply will continue as normal and any credit balances they have built up will be protected.

“We recommend that Avro and Green customers make a note of their meter readings now, and again when contacted by their new supplier, to ensure bills are accurate.

"Once the new supplier is appointed, they will be in touch to provide more information.”

From: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/avro-energy-collapses-along-green-21645839

I might write about this in a bit more detail in an article on my website at the weekend. But for now, if I was looking to switch energy provider, I wouldn't feel confident switching to some 'smaller supplier' right now.

I'm all for 'free-market capitalism' (provided its done fairly of course) but the 'energy market' has always been an odd one for me. Anyone was able to set themselves up as an 'energy supplier', but all they were doing really was 'reselling' what was available, and not actually producing any energy themselves.

This whole system of consumers having some 'choice' when it came to selecting an energy supplier, and having a (sometimes bewildering) array of fixed-term tariff rates, is great for consumers, and great for those suppliers, especially if wholesale prices came down.

But not so good if wholesale prices increased like they have lately. The 'big' energy suppliers, who either produce gas/electric themselves, or have the backing of 'wealthy hedge-funds', are better equipped to ride out these situations, and can just sit back and wait for their 'competition' to go to the wall, knowing full well that Ofgem will end up handing them the customers of these failed companies.

Is this all being contrived to 'kill off' the energy free-market? Or is it an example of an industry where 'free-market enterprise' just doesn't work?

• Like 1

Yes!

Create a "petrol shortage" to stop people driving, and encourage those who have the funds to purchase electric cars.

Small energy companies going out of business so that customers are taken over by bigger ones charging them way more but locking them into contracts they cannot get out of which results in: 

lots of customers not putting the heating on hardly at all and using as little elec as possible

all part of the green agenda!

Joe Average forced to lower his carbon footprint whilst the rich elites carry on living energy guzzling luxury lifestyles and pointing the finger and virtue signalling. I saw this a mile off a few months ago. Obvious really the way the media has been going on and on and on about how the masses are destroying the environment.

Edited by itsnotallrightjack
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 12:00 PM, bamboozooka said:

Good grief that's shocking!!!!  Obvious that company was got rid of right at this moment because it was going to give customers the warm home discount. Please do ring/visit Citizens Advice and ask them to help you get with a cheaper energy company; £400 a year more is a disgrace. My energy company's rise is roughly £168. All the best to you.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:15 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

The other thing that tweaks my interest is that presently the cost of gas is much cheaper than electricity. I do remember reading before how there was a 'plan' to phase out household gas supplies by 2040, and that no new homes would have gas boilers for central heating installed.

My previous flat I lived in had night-storage electric heaters (no gas supply) which took advantage of Economy7 electricity rates, so that 'off-peak' electricity was much cheaper. And I recall seeing somewhere how Electricity7 tariffs were going to be discontinued from around 2025.

Electric storage heaters are great in principle, don't get me wrong. But I do think that gas-fired central heating systems are more effective and (currently) better value for money.

I do wonder if the push to increase wholesale gas prices is some trick to force householders to consider 'investing' in replacing their gas boilers with these 'heat pumps' that are being heavily promoted and will be used in all new builds.

You got it! They want to get rid of gas; especially gas central heating, because as we all know, it is the cheapest and most efficient form of heating. My central heating has been put in by my housing co op. Thank goodness they couldn't afford heat pumps and also that they are impossible for flats anyway. These heat pumps are expensive and don't work properly from what I've read. They take ages to generate any heat and it is not enough to keep people warm in a cold climate. 

4 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I was thinking this last night mate. It's all part of the web.

And they been doing a fair bit of anti gas articles too, such as gas cookers will pollute your home and affect your health, so buy an electric induction one because it is the most clean and eco friendly which of course cost thousands of pounds to buy and have installed! I told my Mum and she just scoffed at the narrative about gas cookers. She has been using them since the 1960s and is still here! All these "green appliances" and "alternatives" cost a packet. Surprise surprise.

4 minutes ago, HAARPING_On said:

There is an alternative to gas boilers - hydrogen.

Check out this article from the DIY mag "Homebuilding & Renovating" from a few months back, certainly makes for interesting reading...

Not sure about the SMART future though...

Hydrogen Boilers.jpg

Yes I know, but hydrogen is very flammable so they need to figure out a way to make it less so!