mega tsunami threat is real...la Palma volcano could blow anytime now

masonfreeparty2

On 9/20/2021 at 9:02 PM, Golden Retriever said:

It was reported somewhere one hundred houses have been destroyed. I hope the residents were able to retrieve

treasured items before their homes were razed.

Especially their pets & animals, it don't bare thinking about :classic_sad:

• Sad 1

On 9/22/2021 at 8:19 AM, Rachel Underhill said:

I remember the icelandic volcanoe sending sulpher gas clouds over uk. I was doing a carboot sale and could see it and taste it that was when i bought gas masks being athsmatic it worried me a lot.

The one 10 years ago stopped most flights from and to the US from Europe.

I had colleagues stuck in Vegas on expenses - the lucky bar stewards!

• Haha 1

This volcano is made of loose porous ash and in 1949 a 9 mi long fissure opened up at the crest as a portion of the mountain slid 13 ft downward and abruptly stopped. It's not beyond the realm of possibilities that this eruption could finish the slide that started 72 years ago.

Popocatépetl, Stromboli, Geldingadalir, Mount Etna and Fuego are all currently active, even Vulcano, from where they got their name is on yellow alert from increased activity, but Cumbre Vieja, blows them all out the water! Not trying to jinx it, but a tsunami was predicted.

Fiery eruptions continue to intensify after two weeks and explosive blasts are so powerful, they are creating seismic waves. Streams of burning lava are scorching everything in their path until reaching the sea where it is forming a new coastline and causing sulphurous clouds.

La Palma is being rocked by earthquakes and the volcano’s cone has collapsed. The thunderous roar makes it an ominous spectacle. Island life, towns, villages, farms and food production have all been devastated.  6,000 people have been evacuated and 800 buildings lost, so far. The coming tourist season is also blighted, but at least no lives have been lost.

Edited by Velma

I was thinking about this the other day, and I remembered it was maybe a couple of years ago now that various news outlets were warning about a possible eruption from the Teide volcano on nearby Tenerife.

I can't find the original articles now, because any search for 'Tenerife volcano warning' throws up hundreds of results related to the recent La Palma eruption.

Actually, I just found one now, yes dated 2018:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1915593/tenerifes-mount-teide-volcano-threat-gives-chilling-reminder-of-nearby-la-palmas-cumbre-vieja-which-could-cause-mega-tsunami-when-it-next-erupts/

So, we've now had the La Palma eruption, but not yet had any 'mega-tsunami'. Have we got off lightly?

On 10/13/2021 at 2:36 PM, Grumpy Owl said:

I was thinking about this the other day, and I remembered it was maybe a couple of years ago now that various news outlets were warning about a possible eruption from the Teide volcano on nearby Tenerife.

I can't find the original articles now, because any search for 'Tenerife volcano warning' throws up hundreds of results related to the recent La Palma eruption.

Actually, I just found one now, yes dated 2018:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1915593/tenerifes-mount-teide-volcano-threat-gives-chilling-reminder-of-nearby-la-palmas-cumbre-vieja-which-could-cause-mega-tsunami-when-it-next-erupts/

So, we've now had the La Palma eruption, but not yet had any 'mega-tsunami'. Have we got off lightly?

I don't think we've gotten off at all because the eruption has gotten worse and has opened more lava flows due to the crater collapse. It's not over. This is a strombolian volcano that can produce violent explosions, which could restart the 9 mile long rift slide that started in 1949, but abruptly stopped after it fell 13 feet. That suggests to me that the shelf is hanging on by a thread and only needs a catalyst to finish the process. All of the water surrounding the hot spot could also set up an explosive condition. We're not out of the woods yet. What surprises me (or maybe it doesn't) is the lack of reporting of it by the MSM. They do mention the eruption here and there, but I've never heard them warn of a possible mega-tsunami that scientists have warned about for years.  

Canary Island Disaster Scenario - Images All Disaster Msimages.Org

If it does happen, the people on the east coast of the US would only have 9 hrs. to get out of it's way; but many would not be able to escape due to gridlock. Other coastlines around the world would also be greatly affected. It's not just La Palma. Vulcanism has increased in Hawaii, Italy, Chile, and all along the ring of fire.

Volcanic activity worldwide 14 Oct 2021: Vulcano volcano, Fuego, Reventador, Kilauea, Sangay, La ... 

IMHO, the cult already have the technology to modify the weather. Do they also have the ability to control geology? I'll bet if they could ..... that it's not beyond realm of the possibilities that they would use it to further their depopulation agenda.

Whilst this is undoubtedly a very unfortunate occurrence, I am somewhat surprised by the amount of attention it is receiving. Maybe this is because it is in Europe and a holiday destination. 

When Soufriere Volcano began to erupt on Montserrat, a small island in the Caribbean, in 1995, it went almost unnoticed by the rest of the world, despite the fact that is was and is still, a British territory. Much of the island was rendered inhabitable and remains so to this day. At no point was there mention of a tsunami during the eruptions, which ceased in 2011, so I suspect the MSM is doing its best work in trying to frighten those who take any notice of it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soufrière_Hills

23 minutes ago, no kidding said:

Maybe this is because it is in Europe and a holiday destination. 

Yes, the Canary Islands are a holiday destination and under the administration of the Spanish government, but they are located off the west coast of Africa. and not part of Europe.

19 hours ago, Grumpy Owl said:

Yes, the Canary Islands are a holiday destination and under the administration of the Spanish government, but they are located off the west coast of Africa. and not part of Europe.

Thanks for the geography lesson. I've been to the Canary Islands more times that I can remember. Geographically, it may be part of Africa, but to all intents and purposes, like Madeira, Port Santo and the Azores, they are regarded as part of Europe, because they are administered by European countries. Try telling the Spanish that Melilla and Ceuta are part of Africa and see what reaction you get!

I think you understood my principal point very well, but instead of expanding on that, you chose, for some reason, to try to belittle me by explaining where the Canary Islands are as though I was a 10 year old.  But hey ho, this the DI forum, so things are a little different...